Strength Needed

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I hope they rely more on core lifts like bench, squat, clean and jerk, snatch, dead lift. We did the Nebraska strength program when I was in high school, and let me tell you, it beefed you up. It's embarrassing that we don't have many benching 400 lbs when we are talking about men who weigh 290-325 lbs. I assume Rhoads had more focus on the squat, than other core lifts. If you're going to choose one, that would be the right one to choose I suppose.
I've never heard of a football program implementing C & J or snatches. Power Cleans, yes, but full clean and jerks and snatch are too technical and require too much individual attention. Football programs don't have enough coaches or time to do such lifts.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I've never heard of a football program implementing C & J or snatches. Power Cleans, yes, but full clean and jerks and snatch are too technical and require too much individual attention. Football programs don't have enough coaches or time to do such lifts.

Correct. Some programs will use snatch but with lightweight to focus on hip and shoulder flexibility. Most will avoid it and just do overhead squats.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
....also in a stance for a lineman their action for blocking is a bench press motion almost to a T.

Except for the part about laying on their backs and pressing something off their chest. A more specific movement would be the Jammer machine, sled pushes, or medicine ball throws. Those are pressing motions done on your feet, like an actual block. The limiting factor for a lineman blocking will always be their hips and legs, no matter how big their bench is. A football player should be built like a tree: a very strong base and trunk, with the rest following.

Now before you get all angry, yes the bench press is still important for general upper body strength.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Tough to compare these numbers, obviously during and after the season, the guys aren't hitting the weights as hard as they do in the offseason. The wear and tear of the season is going to naturally make numbers bigger the later in the offseason it gets.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Interesting we did it in high school, guess our coaches were ahead of the curve. Multi joint systemic workouts are the only way to go in my book. There's a reason they're called Olympic lifts, they're the ones that matter.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016

At my school we did power cleans and jerks separate

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Interesting we did it in high school, guess our coaches were ahead of the curve. Multi joint systemic workouts are the only way to go in my book. There's a reason they're called Olympic lifts, they're the ones that matter.
Your HS program had kids doing full snatches and CJ (meaning, catching the bar below parallel)? I find that hard to believe. But, if they were I'm willing to bet most of the kids were using poor form and thus were prone to injury.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Stanford doesn't emphasize the bench press (they use it, but doubt they have many benching 400 lbs) and they are one of the most physical teams in college football - as in pummeling Iowa on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Bench is the most worthless lift an athlete can do, its good for making your arms look nice for the ladies but bench strength doesn't translate to athleticism or total body strength. Squating, hang clean, those are much more important. They work out nearly every joint in the body, nearly every common football injury is related to some joint in the body. Besides, strength is nothing without coordination.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Your HS program had kids doing full snatches and CJ (meaning, catching the bar below parallel)? I find that hard to believe. But, if they were I'm willing to bet most of the kids were using poor form and thus were prone to injury.

Yes we were, and being my father was one of the strength and conditioning coaches I'm not sure I like your tone.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Bench is the most worthless lift an athlete can do, its good for making your arms look nice for the ladies but bench strength doesn't translate to athleticism or total body strength. Squating, hang clean, those are much more important. They work out nearly every joint in the body, nearly every common football injury is related to some joint in the body. Besides, strength is nothing without coordination.

Bench makes your chest and shoulders look better, and maybe your triceps but to say it makes your arms look better is ridiculous. Bench is very much used by anyone coming out of their stance and surely not a worthless lift.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It makes me laugh when people say things like 400 isn't much. 400 is still a lot for a 300 lber. If you're 6'7" and have a 38" shirt sleeve 400 takes much more force than a 230 lber with much shorter arms. 1 rep max isn't nearly as important of a number as 225 rep max. That number gives you a better idea of wether someone can maintain explosiveness with stamina.

Also the most important core lift for football especially OL is cleans followed by squat. Bench is a distant third. In reality incline is a more natural football motion than bench.

People get far too worked up about 1 rep max numbers.

Nobody can do 20 reps at 225 without being able to max out above 300. If all our S&C was doing was working on max bench then shame on him but with current training protocols having a big 1 rep max IS an indication of overall growth and strength. Same with squats, same with all the olympic lifts.

Focusing on a number isn't the be-all, end-all but it does show the vector of training efforts.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
ISU had more talent the UNI, NDSU, Toledo, yet they got pushed around by those teams. They also have better facilities, and spend more money on getting the players game ready. The rash of injuries was another weird thing. People say the S&C had nothing to do with it but at some point you have to question it when you get similar injuries over and over and get so many season ending injuries.

That 2014 team did not have more talent than NDSU, which says a lot about recruiting. We were doubled up in yardage, gave up 300+ rushing, and lost by 20. Much of the difference in scholarship numbers for that game was made up for by the S&C program at NDSU. Their guy is given a ton of credit for that programs success. Not surprisingly, they also have great line play on both sides and can develop players: their NFL left tackle from last year came in as a walk-on at 6-6, 240 and left weighing 315.

Bench press is looked at by the NFL as a way to gauge a players long term commitment to getting stronger. Good bench numbers take time in the gym, and show a lot about work ethic as well as strength endurance.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Yeah bench press isn't that important of a lift when it comes to football but it's nice to see that they are getting stronger

259.gif

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I think the only instance I've ever heard of a SC coach get specific credit for improving a program was the programs Mike Barwis was apart of.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Having worked a lot with those same treadmills and kids of that age, doing interval sprints on those treadmills is a lot harder than lifting heavy weights. 99% of the kids I have trained would rather be lifting than sprinting on treadmills. And if you think the treadmills do the work for you, you've never sprinted up a 30-40% incline at maximal effort and speed.

Granted I'm 52, but part of my workouts are max intensity intervals on a spinning bike. i love them because they are short duration but I hate them because you HAVE to have the killer attitude to do them at the highest intensity. Attitude, effort, discipline are needed for HIIT and for our football program regardless of how you develop them.

As for benefits - blood sugar control, t increases, muscle gains, joint preservation, etc... ALL great things for us more seasoned citizens.

But can't see that being any more than a fraction of a percent of the program our guys are doing.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
You think Lazard doesn't weigh enough? You'd like him to beef up to 250 and move to tight end? I don't remember us getting pushed around by UNI and Toledo last year.

It's always a good topic for PR when a coaching change happens. As this thread shows 99% of fans don't have the experience, ability, or access to evaluate a S&C program. Hard to wade through the coach speak when you don't understand it.

That's not isolated to the strength and conditioning program. Insert the word football for S&C and you come up with the same answers.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
They made statements in the past about how the last SC program didn't want to bulk kids up because they wanted them stay faster to play in space better. To me this means they may have been having them do lighter weights with higher reps. I don't know, but just guessing. If that is true, it isn't crazy to believe what the new coaches are saying. It isn't like they are just using basic terms like "we need to get stronger". They put numbers to it

Code for "we took tall skinny kids no one else wanted and tried to make them lean and mean".

Didn't work. This ain't Rice.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Getting pushed around isn't the main reason we have been getting beat. Speed, lack of execution and poor judgement by previous coaching staff.

Uh, yes it is. You can have the fastest player in the world at RB, Joe Montana at QB, and if you are getting pushed around on the OL, you have no hole to run in, no where to throw. Last year was a bit of an exception, but the prior 3 years before that, we got slaughtered at the line of scrimmage.