Strength Needed

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I hope they rely more on core lifts like bench, squat, clean and jerk, snatch, dead lift. We did the Nebraska strength program when I was in high school, and let me tell you, it beefed you up. It's embarrassing that we don't have many benching 400 lbs when we are talking about men who weigh 290-325 lbs. I assume Rhoads had more focus on the squat, than other core lifts. If you're going to choose one, that would be the right one to choose I suppose.
Stanford doesn't emphasize the bench press (they use it, but doubt they have many benching 400 lbs) and they are one of the most physical teams in college football - as in pummeling Iowa on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I hope they rely more on core lifts like bench, squat, clean and jerk, snatch, dead lift. We did the Nebraska strength program when I was in high school, and let me tell you, it beefed you up. It's embarrassing that we don't have many benching 400 lbs when we are talking about men who weigh 290-325 lbs. I assume Rhoads had more focus on the squat, than other core lifts. If you're going to choose one, that would be the right one to choose I suppose.

There is nothing special about the Nebraska program. Everyone talks about how they used it in HS. It's actually an old program that has been left behind except for high school. You can't even compare the HS version of the Husker workout to a modern college S&C program. It's like saying you owned a cat so you know how to care for a lion.

Every S&C program in the nation focuses on cleans, squats, bench, etc. Its the theory around weight vs reps that is the big difference between programs along with speed and plyo programs.

RVD4

Dec 26, 2011
These kind of threads crack me up, a whole bunch of experts that go to the local health club and stand in front of a mirror. Our S&C staff was not the problem. LAZY recruiting was the downfall. Being strong is definitely important, but you still need speed, agility and football mentality. Lazard is a perfect example of the next level of talent. If ISU plays Houston we would get smoked and we all know who their Strength coach is.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
These kind of threads crack me up, a whole bunch of experts that go to the local health club and stand in front of a mirror. Our S&C staff was not the problem. LAZY recruiting was the downfall. Being strong is definitely important, but you still need speed, agility and football mentality. Lazard is a perfect example of the next level of talent. If ISU plays Houston we would get smoked and we all know who their Strength coach is.
Could not agree more...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder how many players who graduated or left for other reasons could bench 400. Oni? Burton? Pierson? Ayeni? Dagel? Lalk? Taiese? Boesen? Taylor? Severs?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

While I agree that the story about needing to get stronger is one we have heard several times, I am still not convinced that all of the OL injuries over the past few years were not somehow related to the S&C program. I see all these other teams that have the same starting 5 for the entire year, and poor ISU can't have the same 5 out there for more than 2 games in a row.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

You are right Lazard is a perfect example of the previous staff. His Freshman year he weight 221 lbs last year he weight 223 Lbs. Granted he did put on some weight at some point between his Sr year in HS and his first game as a Cyclone, but you cannot tell me someone with his frame and becoming older cannot put on more muscle than 2 lbs.

ISU had more talent the UNI, NDSU, Toledo, yet they got pushed around by those teams. They also have better facilities, and spend more money on getting the players game ready. The rash of injuries was another weird thing. People say the S&C had nothing to do with it but at some point you have to question it when you get similar injuries over and over and get so many season ending injuries.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Crossfit is actually really good for athletes
I would argue that for a number of different reasons, but I don't want to derail the thread so I'll just say Crossfit is good for Crossfitters, not necessarily football players. I'm not saying it's bad for football players, but I am saying there are WAY better programs for athletes that want to train specific rather than doing a general workout in Crossfit.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

Did anyone else read this and do a Peter Griffin laugh?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
we got fed that the players loved him too. I always thought that was strange, shouldn't you hate your strength coach for putting you through hell, then love him after all the wins for being the core of the program? Me thinks the players loved him because instead of throwing up big weights they got to run on 50 thousand dollar treadmills that do the work for you to lengthen your stride...
Having worked a lot with those same treadmills and kids of that age, doing interval sprints on those treadmills is a lot harder than lifting heavy weights. 99% of the kids I have trained would rather be lifting than sprinting on treadmills. And if you think the treadmills do the work for you, you've never sprinted up a 30-40% incline at maximal effort and speed.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
You are right Lazard is a perfect example of the previous staff. His Freshman year he weight 221 lbs last year he weight 223 Lbs. Granted he did put on some weight at some point between his Sr year in HS and his first game as a Cyclone, but you cannot tell me someone with his frame and becoming older cannot put on more muscle than 2 lbs.

ISU had more talent the UNI, NDSU, Toledo, yet they got pushed around by those teams. They also have better facilities, and spend more money on getting the players game ready. The rash of injuries was another weird thing. People say the S&C had nothing to do with it but at some point you have to question it when you get similar injuries over and over and get so many season ending injuries.

You think Lazard doesn't weigh enough? You'd like him to beef up to 250 and move to tight end? I don't remember us getting pushed around by UNI and Toledo last year.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
It makes me laugh when people say things like 400 isn't much. 400 is still a lot for a 300 lber. If you're 6'7" and have a 38" shirt sleeve 400 takes much more force than a 230 lber with much shorter arms. 1 rep max isn't nearly as important of a number as 225 rep max. That number gives you a better idea of wether someone can maintain explosiveness with stamina.

Also the most important core lift for football especially OL is cleans followed by squat. Bench is a distant third. In reality incline is a more natural football motion than bench.

People get far too worked up about 1 rep max numbers.

Go to Alabama, Texas, oklahoma auburn or any of the top schools and tell me how many guys they have benching over 400....also in a stance for a lineman their action for blocking is a bench press motion almost to a T.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
My son was over 400 bench while at Toledo. I'll say this. When he grabbed ahold of a defensive player blocking they didn't get away and didn't make the tackle. Bench is good for blockers.
So benching over 4 makes you more efficient at committing penalties?

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You think Lazard doesn't weigh enough? You'd like him to beef up to 250 and move to tight end? I don't remember us getting pushed around by UNI and Toledo last year.
Getting pushed around isn't the main reason we have been getting beat. Speed, lack of execution and poor judgement by previous coaching staff.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Having worked a lot with those same treadmills and kids of that age, doing interval sprints on those treadmills is a lot harder than lifting heavy weights. 99% of the kids I have trained would rather be lifting than sprinting on treadmills. And if you think the treadmills do the work for you, you've never sprinted up a 30-40% incline at maximal effort and speed.
This. We used to do high speed treadmill workouts during the winter for track in high school and those were the worst. And that's not even comparable to what the SC staff had the football team doing obviously. Most guys won't choose intense cardio over weight lifting.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Go to Alabama, Texas, oklahoma auburn or any of the top schools and tell me how many guys they have benching over 400....also in a stance for a lineman their action for blocking is a bench press motion almost to a T.

I did not say there aren't people benching 400. Only stating that 400 isn't easy just because you weigh 300.

And no the blocking motion is not bench to a T. Blocking motion is more like an incline medicine ball plyo movement. Your hands are never in a bench position. But what do I know. I was just a tackle in college.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
we got fed that the players loved him too. I always thought that was strange, shouldn't you hate your strength coach for putting you through hell, then love him after all the wins for being the core of the program? Me thinks the players loved him because instead of throwing up big weights they got to run on 50 thousand dollar treadmills that do the work for you to lengthen your stride...

This...A big part of S/C is mental. You can have all the bells and whistles and new gadgets you want, but if you can't get the guys to come into the weight room ready to give everything they have then you aren't the guy for the job.

Just reading some of the comments this past February and March from the players about how sore they were from the new workouts told me what I needed to hear. No sane person should really enjoy leg day...ever...

Help Support Us

Become a patron