Strength Needed

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
CW just tweeted that Campbell said he had 27 guys bench over 400 and ISU had 1 when he got here. This might highlight one of the biggest changes in philosophies between the old and new staff

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
This says all you need to know about our previous strength and conditioning

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
That pumps me up!

8d5fc00a_scaled_full_ee049e3642ef69d16908.gif

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
CW just tweeted that Campbell said he had 27 guys bench over 400 and ISU had 1 when he got here. This might highlight one of the biggest changes in philosophies between the old and new staff
Yet people on here constantly defended the S&C staff because guys in their physical prime working out every day happened to get bigger, stronger and more athletic.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm always had my suspicions about the previous S&C with all the injuries. Hope this is a sign of improvement in the future :yes:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Just to be clear the tweet said that he had 27 guys bench 400 at Toledo, not that he improved ISU's bench press from 1 guy to 27 already.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Don't we go through this same thing every time there is a coaching change? We also just had a bunch of seniors leave so ya, I would hope the underclassmen are getting stronger.

I find it hard to believe there is much difference in training/ strength gains from one college level S&C coach to another. If they are professionals and know what they are doing, I wouldn't think there would be much difference. Yet, every time there is a coaching change we convince ourselves that the new staff will magically make our players twice as strong and twice as fast as the old staff. In the end, the difference in S&C staffs will be hardly noticeable.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Don't we go through this same thing every time there is a coaching change? We also just had a bunch of seniors leave so ya, I would hope the underclassmen are getting stronger.

I find it hard to believe there is much difference in training/ strength gains from one college level S&C coach to another. If they are professionals and know what they are doing, I wouldn't think there would be much difference. Yet, every time there is a coaching change we convince ourselves that the new staff will magically make our players twice as strong and twice as fast as the old staff. In the end, the difference in S&C staffs will be hardly noticeable.

Yeah this happens every time there's a coaching change.

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
Came here to echo what isutrevman and CyArob have said. I'd love to be able to find what Chizik and Rhoads said, but I know they made similar comments. Different coaches train in different areas.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Bench press is bench press...I've been as critical as anyone of previous S&C staff but not sure I'm buyin that one.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I also don't remember us being physically inferior to Toledo last year. If anything, we wore them down as the game went on but basically killed ourselves with bad mistakes.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Bench press is bench press...I've been as critical as anyone of previous S&C staff but not sure I'm buyin that one.
Yeah bench press isn't that important of a lift when it comes to football but it's nice to see that they are getting stronger

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I might be misremembering but I thought I read somewhere a few years back that the previous S&C staff's ideology was to gear workouts/strength training towards exercises that were "football" or "position" specific and that were "better" suited for football related actions...and they didn't view seeing how much someone could bench as one of those exercises.

Or maybe I got that from an episode of Friday Night Lights...

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
A few years back CPR said there were only 12 players who could squat(?) however much when he took over, and now he had over 50.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Yes. The same posts word for word every time we have a coaching change or change in S&C coach. Part of being a fan I guess.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Yeah bench press isn't that important of a lift when it comes to football but it's nice to see that they are getting stronger

It isn't important to all positions but it is very important for O Lineman. When they put numbers like this out there it means a lot more to me than when they say the same old we need to get stronger. Most of the time it is just general things like that. Also 400 Bench isn't that much for a guy that weighs 300 lbs. It shows the lack of general Strength. There is a reason they test bench press at the NFL combine.

I am all for focusing on position lifts and movements but it shouldn't be at the expense of core lifts like bench, squat etc

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Yes. The same posts word for word every time we have a coaching change or change in S&C coach. Part of being a fan I guess.

There is saying the same thing and then there is a difference of 26 players being stronger at a core lift at a MAC school compared to a power 5.