Strength Needed

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Yeah bench press isn't that important of a lift when it comes to football but it's nice to see that they are getting stronger

Where did it sat we were getting stronger? If anything it says were just plain weak.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
My son was over 400 bench while at Toledo. I'll say this. When he grabbed ahold of a defensive player blocking they didn't get away and didn't make the tackle. Bench is good for blockers.

Last edited:

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
thought that he was talking about our guys but I guess he was talking about Toledo players

Yeah he was saying the Toledo had 27 guys benching over 400 and ISU had 1 when he got here.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
This says all you need to know about our previous strength and conditioning

I've heard this before for years with every coaching change. Seems like a "red herring" to me. I'll take Oklahoma players with an ISU sociology professor as strength and conditioning coach and probably will do just fine. I'm sure Alabama and Ohio State's strength and conditioning coachs are really, really good. It's the players lifting the weights that matter. Not so much how they lift the weights.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I'm optimistic the team will improve & I like what I've heard from the staff and S/C coach.

But, this also seems a little reminiscent of what we heard when the Rhoads' staff took over.

Hope this time there is legit improvement that allows us to be competitive in our P5 conference.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
They made statements in the past about how the last SC program didn't want to bulk kids up because they wanted them stay faster to play in space better. To me this means they may have been having them do lighter weights with higher reps. I don't know, but just guessing. If that is true, it isn't crazy to believe what the new coaches are saying. It isn't like they are just using basic terms like "we need to get stronger". They put numbers to it

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Let's just see the fundamentals improve and improving strength on the field.

This is supposed to be a bad year for the Oline and if there's improvement there, or that turns out to be an actual strength/reliable position this season, that could mark a true indicator of the effect of the new coaches.

tay2015

Aug 7, 2015
I know that this is going to get the same, "we say this every coaching change," but I had 0 faith in our old strength & conditioning program. You can't chalk up all those injuries to bad luck and go watch the game against NDSU. Our guys had 0 in the tank in that heat and NDSU seemed unaffected. Count how many of our guys went down due to cramps/being tired. It was embarrassing.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I know that this is going to get the same, "we say this every coaching change," but I had 0 faith in our old strength & conditioning program. You can't chalk up all those injuries to bad luck and go watch the game against NDSU. Our guys had 0 in the tank in that heat and NDSU seemed unaffected. Count how many of our guys went down due to cramps/being tired. It was embarrassing.

We only had about 4 guys drafted Rhoads entire tenure. Guys rarely improved throughout their career. We lost most every game we played. And had an obscene amount of injuries... yet we were all supposed to believe the strength staff was one of the best in business.

Of course, they were only 1 piece of the puzzle, but there was literally nothing for them to hang their hat on.

tay2015

Aug 7, 2015
We only had about 4 guys drafted Rhoads entire tenure. Guys rarely improved throughout their career. We lost most every game we played. And had an obscene amount of injuries... yet we were all supposed to believe the strength staff was one of the best in business.

Of course, they were only 1 piece of the puzzle, but there was literally nothing for them to hang their hat on.

we got fed that the players loved him too. I always thought that was strange, shouldn't you hate your strength coach for putting you through hell, then love him after all the wins for being the core of the program? Me thinks the players loved him because instead of throwing up big weights they got to run on 50 thousand dollar treadmills that do the work for you to lengthen your stride...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I hope they rely more on core lifts like bench, squat, clean and jerk, snatch, dead lift. We did the Nebraska strength program when I was in high school, and let me tell you, it beefed you up. It's embarrassing that we don't have many benching 400 lbs when we are talking about men who weigh 290-325 lbs. I assume Rhoads had more focus on the squat, than other core lifts. If you're going to choose one, that would be the right one to choose I suppose.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
All I have to say is that ISU have lost dozens of game in the last 10 years because they could get one freaking yard to get a first down at the end of the game. It has probably happened 7 times in the last 10 years against KSU. Lack of strength in the OL is definitely one of the issues ISU has suffered from for quite a while.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It isn't important to all positions but it is very important for O Lineman. When they put numbers like this out there it means a lot more to me than when they say the same old we need to get stronger. Most of the time it is just general things like that. Also 400 Bench isn't that much for a guy that weighs 300 lbs. It shows the lack of general Strength. There is a reason they test bench press at the NFL combine.

I am all for focusing on position lifts and movements but it shouldn't be at the expense of core lifts like bench, squat etc

It makes me laugh when people say things like 400 isn't much. 400 is still a lot for a 300 lber. If you're 6'7" and have a 38" shirt sleeve 400 takes much more force than a 230 lber with much shorter arms. 1 rep max isn't nearly as important of a number as 225 rep max. That number gives you a better idea of wether someone can maintain explosiveness with stamina.

Also the most important core lift for football especially OL is cleans followed by squat. Bench is a distant third. In reality incline is a more natural football motion than bench.

People get far too worked up about 1 rep max numbers.