Steve Alford denies contact with Missouri

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
How can anyone believe this? Like it was said in the article, Lon Kruger said he wasn't going to OU, then a couple hours later, he was going to OU.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
didn't read the article, but here is my guess. he hasn't contacted missouri, and missouri hasn't contacted him. but that does not rule out his agent or representative of from doing same. just a game of semantics.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
didn't read the article, but here is my guess. he hasn't contacted missouri, and missouri hasn't contacted him. but that does not rule out his agent or representative of from doing same. just a game of semantics.

Yep....same thing happened when he was at Iowa and Mizzou was looking for a coach.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

“I don't appreciate the report of rumors, and speculation,â€￾ New Mexico coach Steve Alford told the station. “The fact is, there is nothing going on between me and Missouri.
“Things like this only hurt recruiting.
“Neither me nor my agent have spoken to one person at Missouri.â€￾

//INSERT THE COMPLIMENTARY GRAIN OF SALT//

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is true. In fact, his agent has spoken to multiple, not just one, person from missouri.

• Haha
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I would love it one time if the question to him was "has any of your representatives been in contact with anybody about the Missouri job"....instead of lobbing in the easy question of "have you been in contact with Missouri about their job".

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Whats the story?
Absolutely worth a listen in the Iowa Everything podcast. Miller had a source that the Alford camp reached out to Mizzou and he kind of reported it. After the story came out, he said the Iowa staff basically met with him in a room he didn't know existed at CHA and tried to intimidate him. Not physically but very, very awkward sounding.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
My brother & his family lived in Iowa City for years (has since moved to KC area). His son, aged 10 at the time, went to a Steve Alford basketball camp. He wore a North Carolina Jersey (Jordan's number, I believe) on the first day. Almost immediately, Alford and his helpers targeted him, telling him that what he was wearing was shameful and would need to be put on the "wall of shame." They took the jersey and gave him something "Iowa" to wear for the rest of the day. He got his original jersey back before he left - and then never returned for the remainder of the camp. My brother and sister-in-law are both ISU grads & her dad is a former U of I Big 10 CC champion and engineering professor (one of the greatest & most charitable guys you'd want to know BTW). To say that that incident did NOT sit well with the entire family would be a huge understatement.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Absolutely worth a listen in the Iowa Everything podcast. Miller had a source that the Alford camp reached out to Mizzou and he kind of reported it. After the story came out, he said the Iowa staff basically met with him in a room he didn't know existed at CHA and tried to intimidate him. Not physically but very, very awkward sounding.

I can only hope it was the Athletes in Action group just to bring this full circle.

Help Support Us

Become a patron