Special Board of Regents meeting this week re: UI witholding information in rape case

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Re: Special Board of Regents meeting this week re: UI witholding information in rape

My only question is why did the mother release the first letter to the ICPC but not the second?

It was probably not easy for her to go public with the first letter. So, maybe she just released the one to see how it goes, who knows? Or she felt releasing the one would be enough.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Re: Special Board of Regents meeting this week re: UI witholding information in rape

Yes it is on the Iowa City Press Citizen web site ank linked in a post here.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

Yes it is on the Iowa City Press Citizen web site ank linked in a post here.

I messed up... I read the first letter but was wondering about if the second one was released/linked anywhere. Sorry.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006

Some seem to think this is a bad representation of all Iowans. Some say that they want this to be a national story. Which is it?

I say the latter. I'm Iowan. I don't feel like this is a bad representation of me at all. I just feel absolutely disgusted about what allegedly happened, and IF the victim and her family would want this to garner more national attention, then I think it should. Now that the AP is reporting it, I think it is a matter of time. This story has Nancy Grace, Bill O'Reilly, and Outside the Lines written all over it.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006

The second letter that the mother sent to President Mason was dated May 16, but the university administration didn't respond to that letter until Friday, July 18 (two months later)?

Now there are TWO letters that the administration withheld from the Board of Regents investigation?

I see that the BOR meeting this week will be public. I'm tempted to take a day of vacation just to go and observe. I wonder if this meeting will be "newsworthy" enough for one of the TV stations to cover it live?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Captain Kirk and Gary Bada will be handlslapped and fined one days salary. OPh my god, that means the Captain might lose $10k....

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan

My prediction: Betsy Almaier is the official "fall guy".

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

Now there are TWO letters that the administration withheld from the Board of Regents investigation?

We know that UI withheld two letters from the victim's mother. We don't know what else was withheld, and we will probably never know.

It's obvious that the Board of Regent's investigation consisted of "rubber-stamping" the athletic department's files -- or more accurately just the portion of the files that they were shown. The release of this letter makes it look like they were played for fools, and their reaction may not be so favorable this time around.

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006

Why do I get the feeling that UI's legal team and their PR dept. will subdue this fire? Do they have enough allies in the Attorney General's office to avoid the Guillotine? Or will the hammer come down and someone's head will roll?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Somehow I get the feeling that the BOR will get much of the brunt of the reaction. I don't think they have the power or cache to get anyone fired without more coming out. They have already lost the PR battle, and Culver and the rest of the politicians will be looking to make a statement to the public. The BOR is really the only group they have direct control of.

If the BOR does get cleared out I think there will be some changes eventually, but nothing immediate.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA

There are 10+ threads relating to the EIU scandal. It would be easier to follow if a new mega-thread was started.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest

There are 10+ threads relating to the EIU scandal. It would be easier to follow if a new mega-thread was started.

Then if we did that, someone would post about it being hard to follow with different topics in one big thread. We have tried that, and this is better. I find it best if you don't want to read this, try clicking on each forum indiviually and stay out of the in-state rivalry forum.