Special Board of Regents meeting this week re: UI witholding information in rape case

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Excerpt:

The Board of Regents investigated the university’s handling of the alleged assault and, in June, reported the board found that UI dealt with it appropriately. However, (Board President) Miles, who said he was “shocked” by the existence of the two letters, said the documents could change the regents’ views.

“I agree that the letters are very pertinent,” Miles said when asked about the importance of the letters in terms of the regents’ investigation. “I was shocked that we didn’t know about the letters until Friday. I expect some answers from the university as far as why that is the case.”

Miles said he expects the regents’ general counsel to “get to the bottom” of why the letter was not disclosed. He said the special meeting would probably be this week, but because of scheduling issues with the board, he was uncertain where the meeting would be or if it would be conducted via telephone.

The board meeting will be open to the public.

Full story:

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080720/NEWS01/80720005/1079

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Re: Special Board of Regents meeting this week re: UI witholding information in rape

IF this thing is public, it has "damnnation
written all over it.

jcats322

Oct 6, 2007
West Des Moines
Re: Special Board of Regents meeting this week re: UI witholding information in rape

I have a feeling that there are a lot of nervous people in IC right now.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006

Don't get too excited yet...U of I will have the best attorneys around, and there are a lot of loyal people on the Regents.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

But all it takes is one member of the Board to start asking questions.

And I have a feeling that at least some of them are pretty ticked off. They did an "investigation" that was reviewing all documentation relevant to the case that was provided to them by UI, and this letter was witheld. Now they have the letter, but how do they know what else was witheld? They don't. The UI athletic department made them look like fools and loyal or not, they can't like that at all.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

But all it takes is one member of the Board to start asking questions.

And I have a feeling that at least some of them are pretty ticked off. They did an "investigation" that was reviewing all documentation relevant to the case that was provided to them by UI, and this letter was witheld. Now they have the letter, but how do they know what else was witheld? They don't. The UI athletic department made them look like fools and loyal or not, they can't like that at all.

Is Sam Ervin still available?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

How can any University official who advises a female student athlete that the best way to handle a violent felony is "informal, and in-house" not be fired?

If this is true this is ridiculous. Protecting violent rapists and endangering other students. Tampering with a crime scene.

Eustachy got fired for drinking and taking pictures with college kids for christs sake. If this is true, Ferentz and Barta protected rapists and attempted to obstruct justice. Can there be any question what punishment they should face if this is true?

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site

Eustachy got fired for drinking and taking pictures with college kids for christs sake. If this is true, Ferentz and Barta protected rapists and attempted to obstruct justice. Can there be any question what punishment they should face if this is true?

The closest analogy I can think of is the situation at Colorado a few years back. Barnett got canned obviously. Does anyone recall what else happened there as far as firings, etc?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

So they are keeping it 'in house'? This is a criminal case, punishable by MANY years in prison, how can the school punish this? Do they have a secret school prison in Carver-Hawkeye? What I am also wondering, if the girl had a rape-kit done, why weren't the police called then?

I can understand why the family trusted the department at first. Her coach was supposed to be the one she trusted on campus, as well as the one that likely holds her scholarship.

The fact that the department allowed athletes, including the perps, to harrass her for weeks after sure sets them up for a LARGE lawsuit...

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

How can any University official who advises a female student athlete that the best way to handle a violent felony is "informal, and in-house" not be fired?

If this is true this is ridiculous. Protecting violent rapists and endangering other students. Tampering with a crime scene.

While all this was going on, were the perpetrators still on the payroll (via scholarship) of the university? Supposedly the players involved were not allowed to play or practice, but was the university still picking up the tab for school and living expenses? If so, all university employees with knowledge of the situation displayed a complete lack of integrity. Forget the not having all of the details excuse at that point. It is clear that they knew enough at that point to warrant a completely different course of action. They tried in vain to protect the public image of the athletic department and administration at the expense of doing what was right for the victim and her family. The lawyer worded release by the university over the weekend is simply another example of their disgusting response.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

So they are keeping it 'in house'? This is a criminal case, punishable by MANY years in prison, how can the school punish this? Do they have a secret school prison in Carver-Hawkeye? What I am also wondering, if the girl had a rape-kit done, why weren't the police called then?

I can understand why the family trusted the department at first. Her coach was supposed to be the one she trusted on campus, as well as the one that likely holds her scholarship.

The fact that the department allowed athletes, including the perps, to harrass her for weeks after sure sets them up for a LARGE lawsuit...

Right. More than likely, the coach sold the EIU athletic community as a group that looks out for one another, in some way.

I think every fact in this so far sets this school up for a huge lawsuit. Maybe it becomes a privately-owned school when this is done.

I'm not the biggest fan of lawsuits in general, but this would seem to be one that fits the bill.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

This needs some national attention, or it is just going to get buried in Iowa. Just watch. Anyone know how to get a note to Bill O'Reily?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Nancy Grace would be better than O'Reiley, he would probably take the other side. Heck, someone email Jim Rome, we all know he hates Ferentz.

Reactions: keepngoal

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Nancy Grace would be better than O'Reiley, he would probably take the other side. Heck, someone email Jim Rome, we all know he hates Ferentz.

Yeah, Rome would love this. Especially after Ferentz refused to be on his show. What a freakin slimy, dirty, rapist protecting, woman endangering hypocrite.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Don't get too excited yet...U of I will have the best attorneys around, and there are a lot of loyal people on the Regents.

Can someone tell me why anyone should/would be excited about anything regarding this situation?

Reactions: superdorf

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

and I would be the attorney's lining up to rep this girl in a civil suit could run circles around anyone the University throws out there as representation.

CyAg

May 22, 2006

NOTE:
The linked article says there are now 2 LETTERS. The one from last November, and one sent May 16. The BOR just saw the second on yesterday.

This gets even worse.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

According to the mother’s letter, in the days that followed the alleged assault, the alleged victim met with Athletic Department officials, including Athletic Director Gary Barta, Associate Athletic Director Fred Mims, Football coach Kirk Ferentz and Betsy Almaier, a UI faculty member and a representative on the Presidential Committee on Athletics that serves as a liaison to the Big 10 and NCAA, and the victim’s coach. The alleged victim was allegedly encouraged to handle the allegations “informally” and within the Athletic Department, rather than involve the police, her mother said. The alleged victim and her family were told that process would be faster than the “arduous” process of involving UI or the police, according to the mother’s letter.

so much wrong with this

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com

NOTE:
The linked article says there are now 2 LETTERS. The one from last November, and one sent May 16. The BOR just saw the second on yesterday.

This gets even worse.
My only question is why did the mother release the first letter to the ICPC but not the second?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

Is there a link to this first letter?