SOURCE: Hornacek declines meeting with Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Question? Has JP used a search firm for his other 4 major hires? Clearly didn't for Fred. Chiz, CPR or GMac?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Tell us more about how this was a done deal weeks ago. All CW was told is that it wasn't a done deal. Maybe it was still likely, but they hadn't yet agreed to terms, or something along those lines.

This is exactly what I wrote that day. Can't see how anybody thinks I leaned that Fred wouldn't go to Chicago, or that he was having a hard time deciding. The report was that the deal was not "done."

Fred Hoiberg could very well become the next head coach of the Chicago Bulls within the next few days, but a potential deal is anything but done at this time. That’s what a well-placed source within Camp Hoiberg told CycloneFanatic.com on Friday morning.

Hoiberg, who has led Iowa State to four NCAA Tournaments in his five seasons as head coach of the Cyclones, has been believed to be Chicago’s leading choice to replace Tom Thibodeau dating back to last summer. The Bulls finally fired Thibodeau on Thursday.

Rumors that a “gentlemen’s agreement†has been in place between the two parties for months now are “100 percent false,†the source said. “That’s not even close to being true.â€

This doesn't mean Hoiberg won't take the job or that he is leaning toward staying at ISU — only that as of Friday morning, no deal of any kind is already in place.

The source acknowledged that Iowa State’s head coach is deeply contemplating a move to the NBA, but also noted that Hoiberg’s mind is not entirely made up as to where he will be coaching next season.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Mostly just the timing stuff, saying the staff didn't know when they had been informed long before that, he was still deciding, etc when a "gentleman's agreement" was absolutely in place.

I honestly think TJ has been the guy since Day 1 and that Hornacek info got leaked to please the fan base to say we tried. That's strictly my opinion though

Hornacek was contacted.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is exactly what I wrote that day. Can't see how anybody thinks I leaned that Fred wouldn't go to Chicago, or that he was having a hard time deciding. The report was that the deal was not "done."

Fred Hoiberg could very well become the next head coach of the Chicago Bulls within the next few days, but a potential deal is anything but done at this time. That’s what a well-placed source within Camp Hoiberg told CycloneFanatic.com on Friday morning.

Hoiberg, who has led Iowa State to four NCAA Tournaments in his five seasons as head coach of the Cyclones, has been believed to be Chicago’s leading choice to replace Tom Thibodeau dating back to last summer. The Bulls finally fired Thibodeau on Thursday.

Rumors that a “gentlemen’s agreement” has been in place between the two parties for months now are “100 percent false,” the source said. “That’s not even close to being true.”

This doesn't mean Hoiberg won't take the job or that he is leaning toward staying at ISU — only that as of Friday morning, no deal of any kind is already in place.

The source acknowledged that Iowa State’s head coach is deeply contemplating a move to the NBA, but also noted that Hoiberg’s mind is not entirely made up as to where he will be coaching next season.

And that's where I believe you got lied to. Not that you were lying but that you got lied to. There's a big difference

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hornacek was contacted.

That NBA All-Star is an ungrateful little b****. Enjoy soaking up the sun in AZ while you're on the hot seat next year dude.

At least we know where he stands when we look up at the Hilton banners next year......Pollard should move his over to the back behind Grayer.

:jimlad:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Part of the bottom line for me is that any way you slice it, our approach to Hornacek was to treat him like crap. His camp leaked a little interest, mostly for some leverage, and probably a little bit because without an extension he needs a job in a year. That interest on his part gave our fans a glimmer of hope in the waning days of the Hoiberg drama. Gave Leath hope for the splashy hire he wants. But since we have already promised the job to someone else, we sat on it several days, then half assed it without proper channels, and then leaked that he has no interest to claim we tried, meanwhile continuing the rumor drumbeat that probably our most successful professional basketball player from Iowa State hates Iowa State.:rolleyes:

To satisfy the desires of Leath and the fanbase to conduct a search, we have to have a totally underwhelming slate of candidates to parade through here so everyone will just accept Otz as the hire. Hornacek and perhaps Altman don't fit that plan.

Our approach to Hornacek was appalling and insulting to an individual of his standing. I don't care whose butt he has failed to kiss.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Mostly just the timing stuff, saying the staff didn't know when they had been informed long before that, he was still deciding, etc when a "gentleman's agreement" was absolutely in place.

I honestly think TJ has been the guy since Day 1 and that Hornacek info got leaked to please the fan base to say we tried. That's strictly my opinion though

Pretty much in line with almost every NBA source, but sure, those behind CW's can always fall back on nothing is decided until papers are signed. What matters is that actions and moves were made as though Fred was gone for months before June 1st-2nd

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
But it does, when you continue to call out my credibility.

BOOM. Chris...you deserve a medal for this ****. Hopefully you have been avoiding the forums the last few weeks (other than this)...the crap people have been implying...CW is just a pawn shill for the AD, he's just a hack blogger spinning this for clicks, he's getting played like a noob...etc..

I thank you for continuing to be a source of information (not a perfect one, to be fair, but no one is) for us despite being ridiculed by your 'customers'.

ISU62

Jan 12, 2014
BOOM. Chris...you deserve a medal for this ****. Hopefully you have been avoiding the forums the last few weeks (other than this)...the crap people have been implying...CW is just a pawn shill for the AD, he's just a hack blogger spinning this for clicks, he's getting played like a noob...etc..

I thank you for continuing to be a source of information (not a perfect one, to be fair, but no one is) for us despite being ridiculed by your 'customers'.

I agree with this. The ones that don't agree are the ones that don't want it to be true because it doesn't go with their theory that TJ is already the coach. They have a right to their thoughts just as I do. But don't think it needs to get so far that the say Chris is being lied to. He does more than just print anything that he is told.

kyle22kjs

Nov 2, 2012
This is getting old everyone. Trust is built over a period of time, and Chris and company have done nothing to break that trust. I'm assuming those that believe everything has been a conspiracy also believe George W. brought down the twin towers. Let it go and just try and remember every "deal" in business, athletics, or politics isn't quote "done" until stuff is actually signed. People change their minds, or some other variable you can't predict causes the deal to not go through. Did you really expect Chris, Travis, Blum, Jeremy, or whomever else (not name Marty) to come out and say yes 100% Fred is gone?

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I'm too lazy to dig through all the pages of posts so bear with me. Here is what I think the facts are with Hornacek. ISU or it's search firm contacted Hornacek or his agent. Hornacek's "party" told ISU that he either wasn't interested or couldn't talk about it due to the fact that he had to get it cleared with the Suns. Hornacek's agent said it wasn't correct that Hornacek wasn't interested (but didn't say he would welcome the opportunity to talk about it if ISU followed proper channels)

Did anything happen after this? Did ISU then in fact reach out to the Suns? Did Hornacek say last night that he has no interest?

Again, sorry for being lazy but somebody give me the condensed version please realizing much of this is relying on "sources".

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
But it does, when you continue to call out my credibility.
Don't worry Chris. Your credibility is fine. I believe that we all know that you are very careful about what you post and don't post anything that you believe is false or misleading. You may have been somewhat manipulated in this case or the Phx people may be trying to place the genie back in the bottle as somebody (Jeremy?) stated previously (the genie thing seems to ring true). You have a long track record of good reporting. However, don't become too defensive or we will begin to question your sanity. Stay strong. This asylum needs a voice of reason.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Don't worry Chris. Your credibility is fine. I believe that we all know that you are very careful about what you post and don't post anything that you believe is false or misleading. You may have been somewhat manipulated in this case or the Phx people may be trying to place the genie back in the bottle as somebody (Jeremy?) stated previously (the genie thing seems to ring true). You have a long track record of good reporting. However, don't become too defensive or we will begin to question your sanity. Stay strong. This asylum needs a voice of reason.
Not everyone talking to the media (not just CW) are telling the complete truth

hobbes

Feb 20, 2010
Chicago
I still think CW should should either identify his source or retract the story given the the statement from the agent.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I still think CW should should either identify his source or retract the story given the the statement from the agent.

I acknowledged the agent's statement in my article, called him four times, left a voicemail and sent him an email trying to get that side out. Also want him to come on my radio show to tell me how I'm wrong. Haven't heard back.

Status
Not open for further replies.