"Some B12 Coaches Don't Like Scott Drew"

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This is a comical thread.

The "big boys" of MBB (KU, UT) don't like Drew because he is finding away to lure top recruits to lil' ol' Baylor as opposed to them just looking at KU or UT.

The rest of the pack in the conference (ISU, Nebraska, etc.) don't like him because he is making them look bad by proving that you can win...and win big...in a place like Waco.

The bottom line is that the turnaround he has engineered at Baylor is a phenomenal job. The mess he inherited is nearly unfathomable...players killing each other, the coach actively working to cover up improprieties, etc. He has done a remarkable job...period.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Let's be honest here. Baylor is an Underacheiver and the only reason they made the Elite 8 is because they only had to play a 14 seed, an 11 seed, and a 10 seed. First time they play someone they got beat.

You know, I've never understood this line of thinking....you play the teams put in front of you, and if there is an upset, why is that your team's fault? Perhaps Old Dominion and St. Mary's should have gotten higher seeds and Notre Dame and Villanova lower seeds? Why are Old Dominion and St. Mary's suddenly "no one" teams? Because they are not BCS conference teams?

What should highly seeded teams do in this case? Demand a rematch of Notre Dame/Old Dominion, Villanova/St. Mary's so they can then play the "better" team?

Again, just a silly, non-sensical viewpoint IMO.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

The "big boys" of MBB (KU, UT) don't like Drew because he is finding away to lure top recruits to lil' ol' Baylor as opposed to them just looking at KU or UT.

The rest of the pack in the conference (ISU, Nebraska, etc.) don't like him because he is making them look bad by proving that you can win...and win big...in a place like Waco.

The bottom line is that the turnaround he has engineered at Baylor is a phenomenal job. The mess he inherited is nearly unfathomable...players killing each other, the coach actively working to cover up improprieties, etc. He has done a remarkable job...period.

Well, he's gotten Talent from day 1. He's never had trouble getting high-profile recruits there. Even after a major tragedy...that should tell you something. From day 1, he's done better recruiting that Mac has from day 1.

And in 7 years, he's finished in the top half of the conference just twice. Twice. His first winning season was year 5. We b!tch about Greg not winning in 4 years? Scott couldn't do it either, and he had MUCH better players, even with the penalties they faced.

Baylor had a very good team this year and a good run (in which they beat 3 10+ seeds...), but claiming that Drew is "remarkable" is laughable.

And I'll add - their NIT team last year was a HUGE disappointment. Too much talent there not to be dancing. And we shellacked them at home. A bad Iowa State team crushed little Scotty's bearcubs...

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Well, he's gotten Talent from day 1. He's never had trouble getting high-profile recruits there. Even after a major tragedy...that should tell you something. From day 1, he's done better recruiting that Mac has from day 1.

And in 7 years, he's finished in the top half of the conference just twice. Twice. His first winning season was year 5. We b!tch about Greg not winning in 4 years? Scott couldn't do it either, and he had MUCH better players, even with the penalties they faced.

Baylor had a very good team this year and a good run (in which they beat 3 10+ seeds...), but claiming that Drew is "remarkable" is laughable.

And I'll add - their NIT team last year was a HUGE disappointment. Too much talent there not to be dancing. And we shellacked them at home. A bad Iowa State team crushed little Scotty's bearcubs...

You are likely one of these people that would prefer a 13-16 overachieving team to a 16-13 underachieving team. The problem with that thought process (and I use the words 'thought process' loosely here) is that 16-13 is ALWAYS better than 13-16. Another problem is that the determination of over or under achieving is totally subjective.

You know, I get why so many of us as ISU fans like to play in the world of subjective rationalization...because looking objectively at the concrete facts is just too painful sometimes.

But the bottom line is simple...Scott Drew is a far superior coach to GM...not even close. By the way, the job description of a CBB coach includes recruiting and retaining players in addition to practice and game-day coaching.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
You are likely one of these people that would prefer a 13-16 overachieving team to a 16-13 underachieving team. The problem with that thought process (and I use the words 'thought process' loosely here) is that 16-13 is ALWAYS better than 13-16. Another problem is that the determination of over or under achieving is totally subjective.

You know, I get why so many of us as ISU fans like to play in the world of subjective rationalization...because looking objectively at the concrete facts is just too painful sometimes.

But the bottom line is simple...Scott Drew is a far superior coach to GM...not even close. By the way, the job description of a CBB coach includes recruiting and retaining players in addition to practice and game-day coaching.

Huh? I have b!tched about Mac and am as p!ssed as anyone how he's turning out here at ISU. My hope that he is "the guy" to get us going again is almost at 0. So don't lump me into a category because you don't like my reply.

You said what Drew has done is "remarkable." It's not remarkable. In fact, it's as bad (and re-read that, I say as BAD) as Mac has been in a lot of ways. And in some ways, it's worse, because Drew's gotten far better talent than Greg, retained far better talent than Greg, and it STILL took him awhile to have success. And he DID underachieve last year. That...is not...remarkable. Greg has underachieved as well, wouldn't you agree? Or is that too subjective for ya? He certainly hasn't done anything remarkable...

Your last sentence has nothing to do with anything I posted. Again, you lumped me into a category.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle

You don't get it. Frank has done a similar job at KSU, and coaches seem to genuinely like him. Mike Anderson and BCG/Turg too. It's more than just turning bad teams into good teams. The part people don't like are his shady recruiting tactics and coaching decorum.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
You don't get it. Frank has done a similar job at KSU, and coaches seem to genuinely like him. Mike Anderson and BCG/Turg too. It's more than just turning bad teams into good teams. The part people don't like are his shady recruiting tactics and coaching decorum.

Oh, I get it...believe me I get it.

This was your quote earlier in this thread:

"There's definitely something shady about multiple McDonalds All-Americans going to a small baptist school in Waco."

You basically intimate that you have to be cheating to recruit to Baylor.

Is there something shady about multiple McDonald's All-Americans going to a small Methodist school in Durham?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Geaux Tigers? Oh, wait - you're not cheering for them anymore because LSU's now worse than ISU. Go Wildcats? Oh, wait - UK's been eliminated from the tourney - shucksey darn. Remind me - who are you cheering for THIS WEEK?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Huh? I have b!tched about Mac and am as p!ssed as anyone how he's turning out here at ISU. My hope that he is "the guy" to get us going again is almost at 0. So don't lump me into a category because you don't like my reply.

You said what Drew has done is "remarkable." It's not remarkable. In fact, it's as bad (and re-read that, I say as BAD) as Mac has been in a lot of ways. And in some ways, it's worse, because Drew's gotten far better talent than Greg, retained far better talent than Greg, and it STILL took him awhile to have success. And he DID underachieve last year. That...is not...remarkable. Greg has underachieved as well, wouldn't you agree? Or is that too subjective for ya? He certainly hasn't done anything remarkable...

Your last sentence has nothing to do with anything I posted. Again, you lumped me into a category.

Getting anyone, let alone top tier players, to come to Baylor after the situation under Bliss is remarkable in and of itself. Heck, in his third year they only got to play conference games...no non-conference games to pad the ol' record and prepare for conference play.

I stand by my comment...he has done a remarkable job.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Oh, I get it...believe me I get it.

This was your quote earlier in this thread:

"There's definitely something shady about multiple McDonalds All-Americans going to a small baptist school in Waco."

You basically intimate that you have to be cheating to recruit to Baylor.

Is there something shady about multiple McDonald's All-Americans going to a small Methodist school in Durham?

You really don't see a difference between Baylor and Duke? And between Drew and Krzyzewski?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron