So Where Are We At and What Will We Do

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
He is, but I'm pretty sure Shane didn't have anything to do with Coe not showing up on time, or Irving screwing up during Veishea. Maybe Krick quit because he didn't like him...who knows. How different would the D-line look if those 3 were still around?
I get that, but at the same time the recruiters need to know a player's character. I'm not familiar with Coe/Irving before they got to ISU, does anyone know if there would have been any reason to expect this kind of thing? If so, then this isn't any different than recruiting a player with substantial injury history; there's no guarantee they'll be on the field.

From what it sounds like, Coe had the chance to get back on the team and didn't want to. That shows a lack of character/commitment/selflessness IMO.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The next three games really aren't pretty huge. They are essentially meaningless especially if we lose them all which any betting man would do. We'll give up ~50 PPG and there will be a few more rounds of staff changes.

What he isn't counting on is any staff they bring on for next year worth a crap are going to require at least two year deals, so if Rhoads is fired we are likely at a wash there.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Tell me how we are going to recruit kids from Florida when the 2 main recruiters for Florida are being talked about retiring or getting fired? Not to mention Shane is regarded as being one of the best recruiters on staff.

Well...maybe Rhoads can hire some recruiters that know Texas, and ISU can concentrate there...you know..in this large, football-rich state right in the conference footprint, instead of trying to scrounge players from a less-populated state not in the Big 12 with limited Big 12 exposure and overgrazed by the SEC, ACC, and ACC. It's not like the Burnhams' contacts in FL have been delivering blockbuster recruiting classes. It was posted awhile back in another thread that ISU has been last or second to last in Big 12 recruiting every year under Rhoads.

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
We're Iowa state. There's one more round of nut kicking.

e1s2o.jpg

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Somewhere on here someone suggest if Wally left, CPR take on the role of DC/Head Coach. I actually like that idea as that is where CPR had success at good schools. That to me would be the "all in" thing to do (i.e. roll the sleeves up and "put up/shut up." I feel the offense will be good enough next year with Mangino continuing to improve it/the stable of receivers (hope the OLine works their tails off this off season).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the whole staff is back next year for one more shot. If there isn't marked improvement then the CPR era is over and everyone is gone.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I don't know why the buy-outs are such a mystery to this writer. For Rhoads, it's $750,000/year times 7 years = $5,250,000. If he stays through next season, the buyout only decreases by $450,000 because of the $300,000 retention bonus he's due in Feb. 2015.

The assistant coaches' contracts are all public records if anyone is curious.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Well...maybe Rhoads can hire some recruiters that know Texas, and ISU can concentrate there...you know..in this large, football-rich state right in the conference footprint, instead of trying to scrounge players from a less-populated state not in the Big 12 with limited Big 12 exposure and overgrazed by the SEC, ACC, and ACC. It's not like the Burnhams' contacts in FL have been delivering blockbuster recruiting classes. It was posted awhile back in another thread that ISU has been last or second to last in Big 12 recruiting every year under Rhoads.
Except the fact that many of our key players are and have been from Florida.

Sam B. Richardson
Devondrick Nealy
D'Vario Montgomery
Jarvis West
Quenton Bundrage
Robby Garcia
Trent Taylor
TJ Mutcherson
Nigel Tribune
Dondre Daley

Sontrelle Johnson
Jeremiah George
Deon Broomfield
Jansen Watson

Not saying Texas isn't important, but that's a lot of talent to miss out on if we didn't recruit Florida.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I think the whole staff is back next year for one more shot. If there isn't marked improvement then the CPR era is over and everyone is gone.

I would be surprised if Wally is back. I don't have any inside information but I just can't see it happening. Even if he wanted to come back, his return would be a P.R. killer for Rhoads. You can either sell tickets on results or on hope. We can't sell results. How do you sell hope if it is status quo?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Wide Right is a good site, but I doubt they have any sort of real insider info.

I'm pretty sure that Wally was close to retiring last year, but with the death of Curtis, he stuck around. So I wouldn't be surprised if this was his year. I have no idea what the deal with Shane is, but he obviously brings out strong feelings in people. For what it's worth, I like him.

I like Linquist a lot.....I wouldn't be opposed with him being named D-coordinator.

While this article is the opinion/basis of one writer, saying you "doubt they have any sort of real insider info" is pretty ridiculous. Did you know the inside info to get CF kickin' started with a basketball student manager passing the info to the site developer? While I don't know what kind of inside info WRNL gets, it's not far fetched to think they get some.

Danger

Apr 11, 2006
This is something I have never understood. Why is Sturdy, the QB coach, recruiting CBs in California? Is there a cost efficiency element or just some long standing tradition on coaching staffs?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
This is something I have never understood. Why is Sturdy, the QB coach, recruiting CBs in California? Is there a cost efficiency element or just some long standing tradition on coaching staffs?

They recruit by region. I think Sturdy has the best California connections of anybody because of his time at Washington State.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Except the fact that many of our key players are and have been from Florida.

The problem is the program isn't improving with the recruiting model of the last five years. The athleticism of the team seems to be lagging that our immediate peers in the Big 12. Would these players be "key" players for other Big 12 teams?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
The problem is the program isn't improving with the recruiting model of the last five years. The athleticism of the team seems to be lagging that our immediate peers in the Big 12. Would these players be "key" players for other Big 12 teams?

The athleticism issue isn't the Florida kids IMO. Stop reaching on mid-west kids would help.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

You haven't been paying attention to our Florida recruiting. It's been going pretty well for us.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
So we're going to be "installing" a new defense next year? Oh perfect.

Rebuilding cycle continues. Puke

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
"Overall Mangino deserves another year..."

Does this even need to be said? It boggles my mind that there are some who would even consider pulling the plug on Mangino after a single season as being a reasonable option.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Are we also assuming our current assistant coaches have interest in sticking around? Are they dead men walking?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You haven't been paying attention to our Florida recruiting. It's been going pretty well for us.

I've been paying attention, and the recruiting classes are at or near the bottom of the Big 12. The recruiting model isn't working. There has been strong emphasis on FL for the past 5 years, and it's not producing enough talented players. It's great that ISU gets some nice players from FL, but if the number is disproportionate to the effort spent there, it's not working.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron