So Where Are We At and What Will We Do

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been paying attention, and the recruiting classes are at or near the bottom of the Big 12. The recruiting model isn't working. There has been strong emphasis on FL for the past 5 years, and it's not producing enough talented players. It's great the ISU gets some nice players from FL, but if the number is disproportionate to the effort spent there, it's not working.

Then every model we've ever tried is broke because we've always been at or near the bottom of the Big 12. And now Baylor gets better texas recruits than Texas. Texas recruiting ground is more competitive than ever. I don't think we want to bail on Florida and California and go all-in on Texas.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Then every model we've ever tried is broke because we've always been at or near the bottom of the Big 12. And now Baylor gets better texas recruits than Texas. Texas recruiting ground is more competitive than ever. I don't think we want to bail on Florida and California and go all-in on Texas.

TX has 6 million more people than FL does. As far as ISU recruiting goes, FL has every "disadvantage" that TX has, and in addition has the disadvantages of being in the heart of SEC/ACC territory and minimal exposure for ISU and the Big 12. ISU doesn't have to bail on FL, but the staff needs to be adjusted so it contains at least one recruiter with strong ties to TX; someone who is respected by and connected with the HS coaches. That has been lacking.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think it is clear that Wally needs to retire. He debated it last year and probably should have done it. Its too bad this is how his career has to end because it was largely pretty successful.

As for Shane, I don't know how I feel. I have heard that he is a good recruiter. I don't know if he is a good teacher, however. Can he take serviceable and make them into decent? Can he take decent and make into good? I don't know that this year is a good judgement of his teaching ability. Keep in mind that our starting DTs are a walk-on and a converted DE.

Our special teams is the best part of our team, sorry to say. The defense is the worst closely followed by the offense. I just cannot believe how we are in the same old ruts for so long. Dan McCarney teams looked better coached. There, I said it. Paul; does not seem to have the extra jump in his step lately. I was surprised that Grant did not have a better game.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm not sure if firing the Burnhams is what the answer is, but if you did change the defensive coordinator we would be setting ourselves up for more of the same next year. Look how long it has taken Mangino to get our offense sometimes good.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
You haven't been paying attention to our Florida recruiting. It's been going pretty well for us.

Nothing against the ISU kids from FL but I'm not sure how well its working out, just bc a kid is the best we have at a position doesn't mean they are on par with the rest of the conference. I'm aware that's pretty blunt but if we're talking about issues within the program, talent is one of them. That all goes back to recruiting. It's possible a new coach would have even better ties to Florida recruiting. I'm sure regardless of who's at ISU; Florida, Texas and Cali recruiting ties are going to be a priority.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
The problem is the program isn't improving with the recruiting model of the last five years. The athleticism of the team seems to be lagging that our immediate peers in the Big 12. Would these players be "key" players for other Big 12 teams?

We will never have the athletes to run with Baylor, Oklahoma, etc. There is no way we will be able to amass that kind of talent here. Winning here will always come down to coaching and execution.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
We will never have the athletes to run with Baylor, Oklahoma, etc. There is no way we will be able to amass that kind of talent here. Winning here will always come down to coaching and execution.

Love the Florida and CA kids and what they bring, but we do have a pretty good selling point in Texas. (four Texas school games every year, two of the games in the state). We should add a mid level Texas team to the non con to leverage that advantage even more.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Love the Florida and CA kids and what they bring, but we do have a pretty good selling point in Texas. (four Texas school games every year, two of the games in the state). We should add a mid level Texas team to the non con to leverage that advantage even more.

You make some strong points worth considering, imo. To put it in perspective, there are about 170,000 HS football players in Texas annually. In Florida there are about 40,000. Florida has a much higher percentage of players go D1, each with well over 300 per year, but in terms of sheer numbers, it's no contest. I think we should continue recruiting all of our established grounds, but perhaps we should increase our focus in Texas and push more aggressively using the marketing strategies you alluded to, along with some others.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We have some who say we suck at recruiting, so the Head Coach should be fired. But then they turn around and say our Lead Recruiter should not be fired. Our DT's suck, but that same coach should not be blamed, we should fire the Head Coach. The Linebackers suck and our Defense sucks but the Defensive Coordinator who is the Linebacker Coach should be kept, and the Head Coach fired.

People, if the Head Coach is fired, EVERYONE is fired. The New Coach brings in his new staff. And as far as the Head Coach is concerned, he is responsible for the assistants. But the Assistants really do the Hands On Coaching.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Less talented teams can compete with more talented teams if they can control the line of scrimmage. UNI, NDSU, Iowa, KSU all do this really well. We are also competitive when we can do this. Sometimes it doesn't show up in the win column unless you can do it both on offense and defense.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Less talented teams can compete with more talented teams if they can control the line of scrimmage. UNI, NDSU, Iowa, KSU all do this really well. We are also competitive when we can do this. Sometimes it doesn't show up in the win column unless you can do it both on offense and defense.

Fully agree. Not only should we focus our recruiting efforts geographically, but by position as well...specifically the trenches on both sides. We would do well to do kind of like what the Dallas Cowboys did and make both lines, the emphasis of building a solid foundation for at least the next several years. We sure as hell don't need any more WRs.

Last edited: