So, was the foul call on Ku's guard correct or not ...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
\
So, this is like law, there must be intent to foul? I'm missing something in the logic here, evidently.
For some fouls including this particular situation, that appears to be the case, yes. For every foul? No.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You're going with the theory that Graham dove to take out the player rather than diving for the loose ball and running into the player in the process?

I'm going with the theory that by diving ahead for the ball Graham had to have known his action would initiate contact with the Nova player's leg. That's why I don't think you can argue the contact was unintentional. He knew it would happen.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I think they probably could've called a foul when he was stumbling and lost the ball as it looked like they made contact as he was driving by. But the undercutting of the guy as he was standing there ready to pick the ball up was a foul in my humble opinion. The way they call fouls is all jacked up IMO anyway, you barely breathe on a guy driving to the basket and it's an automatic foul but you trap a guy and basically body him up and make all sorts of contact and it's nothing.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
No he didn't. He dove onto the ball an inadvertently took the guys leg out. I hate KU, but that was a ******** call.

No he didn't what? Take the guy's leg out? Know/see the Nova guy standing in front of him reaching down for the ball?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
He didn't go through his legs. He inadvertently tripped him while diving on a loose ball. Unintentional contact during a loose ball is to be ignored by rule. If he dives through someone's legs to go for the ball, that is not unintentional, he knew what he was doing. The trip was an inadvertent result of diving on the ball and, therefore, unintentional. I would not have made that call at ANY point in the game, let alone the point it was made, and let alone it being the player's 5th foul.

And to the people saying it doesn't matter because he travelled, he didn't. Diving on a loose ball and sliding with it is not travelling. It is only travelling if he tries to get up without starting a dribble or rolls over with the ball after completing his slide.

I guess i would have to know what the refs/rule book considers a "loose ball." Grahm lost control of the ball obviously, but ku never lost possession. It'd be like dribbling the ball off your own foot, then while scrambling to get it back, you took out a defenders legs. That to me, would be a foul.

I was under the assumption, that's why the refs were getting together, to see if ku ever lost possession.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Section 21. Incidental Contact

Art. 2. Contact that is incidental to an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact that results when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movement, should be permitted even though the contact may be severe or excessive.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Section 9. Control—Player, Team

Art. 1. A player shall be in control when:
a. Holding a live ball; or
b. Dribbling a live ball while inbounds.

Art. 2. A team shall be in control when:
a. A player of the team is in control;
b. While a live ball is being passed between teammates;
c. When a player of that team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in; or
d. During an interrupted dribble.

Art. 3. Team control shall continue until the ball is in flight during a try forgoal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead.

Art. 4. There shall be no team control during:
a. A jump ball;
b. The tapping of a rebound (unless it is a try for goal);
c. A try for goal after the ball is in flight;
d. The period that follows any of these acts (a-c) while the ball is being batted(from the vicinity of other players) in an attempt to secure control; or
e. A dead ball.

Art. 5. Team control is re-established in Article 4 of this rule when a playersecures control

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Section 9. Control—Player, Team

Art. 1. A player shall be in control when:
a. Holding a live ball; or
b. Dribbling a live ball while inbounds.

Art. 2. A team shall be in control when:
a. A player of the team is in control;
b. While a live ball is being passed between teammates;
c. When a player of that team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in; or
d. During an interrupted dribble.

Art. 3. Team control shall continue until the ball is in flight during a try forgoal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead.

Art. 4. There shall be no team control during:
a. A jump ball;
b. The tapping of a rebound (unless it is a try for goal);
c. A try for goal after the ball is in flight;
d. The period that follows any of these acts (a-c) while the ball is being batted(from the vicinity of other players) in an attempt to secure control; or
e. A dead ball.

Art. 5. Team control is re-established in Article 4 of this rule when a playersecures control

That is interesting, and seems to match the official statement of the refs after the game. KU still had team control. I guess the term "loose ball" only applies to rebounds.

Given the time and score, I thought it was a weak call. We would all be freaking if that play was called on Matt Thomas, fouling him out in a 2 point game.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It comes down to whether ku still had possession.

College basketball probably needs to have an out in a close call situation like this. Once that ref blew the whistle, something had to be called. There is no such thing as an inadvertent whistle, like there is in football.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
That is interesting, and seems to match the official statement of the refs after the game. KU still had team control. I guess the term "loose ball" only applies to rebounds.

Given the time and score, I thought it was a weak call. We would all be freaking if that play was called on Matt Thomas, fouling him out in a 2 point game.

Yeah but I'd be willing to bet if it was Niang's leg that got taken out you'd be freaking if it didn't get called.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I've seen countless plays like this throughout the season where guys are going for the ball and someone gets knocked down and nothing was called.
Again the guy closest to the play didn't call anything. if it was such an obvious foul then I'm sure he would have called it. And yes Graham did get fouled which led to the ball being loose on the floor.
It was a bad call. The officiating was pretty bad in that game all the way around.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I've seen countless plays like this throughout the season where guys are going for the ball and someone gets knocked down and nothing was called.
Again the guy closest to the play didn't call anything. if it was such an obvious foul then I'm sure he would have called it. And yes Graham did get fouled which led to the ball being loose on the floor.
It was a bad call. The officiating was pretty bad in that game all the way around.

Half or more of the experts disagree with you, including the officials at the game. Whose word should I take on this? And where was Graham fouled?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-on-controversial-foul-against-devonte-graham

Last edited:

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
If they wouldn't have called the foul they would've probably called Graham for travelling so I don't think it makes much of a difference.
I told my father that I think was a travel. The big issue was that foul took him out for the game. If it was just a turnover they may have still turned around.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Half or more of the experts disagree with you, including the officials at the game. Whose word should I take on this? And where was Graham fouled?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-on-controversial-foul-against-devonte-graham

You mean the officials stuck by the call??? That's shocking!!
He was dribbling with his right hand and the white kid smacked his right arm down which caused him to lose the ball and he then tried to get it back with his left hand but couldn't