So much respect for Texas Tech coach

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
I try to put Big 12 coaches into tiers from most liked to most hated...

Tier I- Chris Beard and Lon Kruger-- Beard is a great coach and very classy. Lon has done enough in this game to earn my respect and he's a good coach as well.

Tier 2- Huggins, Boyton,Smart-- I think Huggins is great. Sorta the Mike Leach of basketball in ways. Don't know Boyton enough to determine if I hate him yet. Smart is an OK guy in my eyes.

Tier 3- Dixon, Drew, Weber. They can get bent.

Tier 4- DESTROY KANSAS.
Why would you hate drew?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Agreed. Year after year I'm amazed at how many programs fall for the new shiny thing that makes a run in the NCAA tournament. It often does not work long-term.

I mean Shaka was 4 or 5 years removed from his run.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Beard is a damn impressive coach. I hope he stays at Tech a long time. I don’t mind seeing them succeed.

Can't disagree here. Definitely a guy I'd want us to approach if we ever had a vacancy in the future. I was impressed with the crowd and the atmosphere at TT the other night - that is a total change from before. We need more fanbases in the league to really care about basketball. Really, it's just us and KU. K-State and WV might claim to (and do have better history than we do as programs), but they are in another tier below. Then, it's quite a drop to that next level with Baylor at the bottom. Our league would be even better if the passion from the fans matched the level on the court more evenly across the board. This is a league with really good coaches and really good basketball, but only so-so game atmospheres and that's always disappointing. TT's improved fan support made the game Wednesday much more fun to watch and the victory even more satisfying.

Reactions: DarkStar

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Texas should hire Beard but they need to really back up the Brinks truck. He gets paid well at Tech.
UCLA needs to hire Musselman from Nevada.

Did you happen to see Bill Walton’s thoughts on the UCLA job?

I think I saw a rumor on twitter that the Muss Bus is out due to his DUI. Which is odd considering they didn’t mind hiring the scum of the earth last time they had an opening.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I've been a fan of Beard's since we first played him in the tourney. I was figuring that we were going to lose Wednesday and thought if anybody other than ISU was going to dethrone KU I wanted it to be Beard, not so much TT, but I respect the hell out of him. And he's a dead ringer for a friend of mine, so I guess it might play into this. :)

If you and your friend go to W. Texas you might not have to pay for a drink all night.

• Winner
Reactions: stateofmind

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I also think Beard is really good, gentleman and a great coach. I think whoever wrote this article has gone a little overboard. Tech has something that no other team in the B12 has besides Kansas? Great fans and recruiting? Give me a break!
I thought the exact same thing.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Beard is a total class act. I've always liked him. Great coach too.

He gives the opponent all the credit, but also doesn't throw his own players under the bus either. He credited his own team for fighting back hard in the 2nd half, but it just wasn't enough. Said they've had some close Big 12 games that they've come out on the better end, and this one they just didn't.

All coaches should watch this press conference and learn how to do it right.

CyVolk

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2017
Beard is a total class act. I've always liked him. Great coach too.

He gives the opponent all the credit, but also doesn't throw his own players under the bus either. He credited his own team for fighting back hard in the 2nd half, but it just wasn't enough. Said they've had some close Big 12 games that they've come out on the better end, and this one they just didn't.

All coaches should watch this press conference and learn how to do it right.

As a long time lurker, I don't often agree with Clonedude but I do with this message. Probably a lesson for us fans as well (me and others) that, after a painful loss, maybe it has more to do with the other team's exceptional performance than the lack of effort/performance of our own coaches/players.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why would you hate drew?

Actually I'm not sure what the issue with Dixon or Weber, really. Weber has dorky mannerisms who's on the floor all night but it's not his fault they don't get him for it. Dixon...is there something there?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Actually I'm not sure what the issue with Dixon or Weber, really. Weber has dorky mannerisms who's on the floor all night but it's not his fault they don't get him for it. Dixon...is there something there?

My only issue with Dixon is the slicked back hair. You can't trust anyone that slicks back their hair.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
A point guard that can guard a 6'6" lottery pick while running the offense and taking care of the ball? Yeah, I'll go with Beard on this one too.

I think NWB is a great player we're at our best when he's playing well but is there serious talk about him being a lottery pick?

Help Support Us

Become a patron