Snow Blower Recommendations for Iowa Winters

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If it's an average size drive with not too much sidewalk I'd still go with a 2 stage but go with a smaller model. No need to spend $1000 on one unless you have a ton of drive and sidewalk to clear. Check out Northern Tool, they have some good deals usually and ask if they have any kind of deals if you sign up for their store card as when I bought mine over 10 years ago there I got another 10% off too I think plus 12 months interest free. Yes that was a long time ago but wherever you wind up buying from, especially when it is a larger purchase I always ask if they have any additional savings deals if you sign up for their card.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I have a couple of old Toros. A two-stage and a single stage. I start the two-stage each fall to make sure it starts/runs but have not bothered to use it in at least three years because the single was more than adequate for the snow. But then again I am not the kinda guy that thinks he needs a million cubic liter hemi four wheel drive Grand Titanic to drive to the corner market for a gallon of milk.
Same here. I have both and the 2 stage hasn't been used in several years except to start it and move it from the shed to the garage and back each season. It is only needed for larger drifts/end of the driveway during really heavy snowfall. My single stage is an older small toro. I think if I had a larger single stage that is all I would need 99.9% of the time. If these ever wear out that is what I will get.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We still have a couple of teenagers around and shovels, but will probably need one in a few years. Since I tend to get the job instead of my husband, are these two stage things too big for me? CG, do you use yours or does your husband? (For reference, I am tall enough, 5'9", but old and doctor told me I needed to gain weight at 132, so now after Thanksgiving I checked in at 128.:()

you are taller than I, which probably helps. I have used it, though I didn't start it. Kinda ignored Dh when he was showing me. It has autoturn/self-propel, but since I want really sharp turns, I basically have it rear up and then spin 180. You do need a bit of strength for that. But if you were doing wide turns you wouldn't have to. But it's easy to push otherwise, like a push lawnmower.

Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
you are taller than I, which probably helps. I have used it, though I didn't start it. Kinda ignored Dh when he was showing me. It has autoturn/self-propel, but since I want really sharp turns, I basically have it rear up and then spin 180. You do need a bit of strength for that. But if you were doing wide turns you wouldn't have to. But it's easy to push otherwise, like a push lawnmower.

Thanks. That helps a lot actually. We don't have any sharp turns, just a straight driveway and a lot of sidewalk that is straight also. I need to get back to lifting my old lady weights.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I bought something similar last year. I liked it. There was only once when I really could have used more power.

Good to know. The reviews seem pretty good. I never would have considered even looking at an electric snow blower just a few years ago, but they appear to have come a long way. And at the end of the day, I've been hand shoveling snow all of my life, so even if I have to use a shovel in certain circumstances it won't be a big deal.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks. That helps a lot actually. We don't have any sharp turns, just a straight driveway and a lot of sidewalk that is straight also. I need to get back to lifting my old lady weights.

so for me going up and down the driveway is when I wanted tight turns, because I was going across the driveway. If you do like a u-pattern where you go down one side and up the other, it'd be fine. But I'd play with them in store and see if the weight and such feels good. Our driveway doesn't have much slope, but it's decent-sized. I think the large single stages without self-propel would have been tiring.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You, or anybody else, are more than welcome to use mine to blow out my driveway if wanting to see how a bigger two stage handles.

• Funny

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Same here. I have both and the 2 stage hasn't been used in several years except to start it and move it from the shed to the garage and back each season. It is only needed for larger drifts/end of the driveway during really heavy snowfall. My single stage is an older small toro. I think if I had a larger single stage that is all I would need 99.9% of the time. If these ever wear out that is what I will get.

My two Toros are really old. If I were to replace them with a single unit it would also be one of the new bigger single stages. Thing is they never really wear out if taken care of, my 2-stage is a 1987. The single stage was given to me by an elderly neighbor when she moved back to live with relatives in Nebraska. I in turn gave it to my dad when he got too old to muscle around his huge two-stage. When he died I got it back. It's been around but it's in great shape because always stored indoors.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
My two Toros are really old. If I were to replace them with a single unit it would also be one of the new bigger single stages. Thing is they never really wear out if taken care of, my 2-stage is a 1987. The single stage was given to me by an elderly neighbor when she moved back to live with relatives in Nebraska. I in turn gave it to my dad when he got too old to muscle around his huge two-stage. When he died I got it back. It's been around but it's in great shape because always stored indoors.

Key to easy starting in the winter is to keep your snowblower stored indoors. Electric start definitely. Makes it easy.

Toro has a good reputation IMO.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
so for me going up and down the driveway is when I wanted tight turns, because I was going across the driveway. If you do like a u-pattern where you go down one side and up the other, it'd be fine. But I'd play with them in store and see if the weight and such feels good. Our driveway doesn't have much slope, but it's decent-sized. I think the large single stages without self-propel would have been tiring.

Yea, we have about zero traffic on our street so I would probably go down the driveway, take it down the street and clear the part the plow usually would shove into our driveway, hit the sidewalk, and go down the driveway again, as opposed to tight turns in the driveway.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Good to know. The reviews seem pretty good. I never would have considered even looking at an electric snow blower just a few years ago, but they appear to have come a long way. And at the end of the day, I've been hand shoveling snow all of my life, so even if I have to use a shovel in certain circumstances it won't be a big deal.

I have a 40v greenworks chainsaw that I like, so I was tempted to get the 40v snowblower. After reading 36 bad reviews, I think I'll pass.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I have a 40v greenworks chainsaw that I like, so I was tempted to get the 40v snowblower. After reading 36 bad reviews, I think I'll pass.

Greenworks seems to have really good and popular products, except for their snow blowers.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

One of these?
580-xl-giant-wine-glass_reg39292.jpg

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I just picked up a new Cub Cadet two stage from Home Depot a couple weeks back. My single worked for a while but every winter seemed to have one or two snowfalls it couldn't handle. The wet heavy stuff and the snow pack the snowplow driver leaves at the end of my driveway is easier to clean with a two stage.

My single stage died (rubber impellers came off the shaft) a few winters back. Used an older hand me down Craftsmen two stager that was a fricking tank. It'd go thru anything and not get bogged down.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I have a two stage John Deere. Bought it used from a buddy who has a farm implement store. Works great and does the job regardless of the snow type/amount.