Smoking Pork Loin

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Hope you have a good smoker or have it insulated some so it doesn't lose a lot of heat because the weather on Friday sure looks gloomy with a high of only 43 so may take longer than usual depending on the quality of setup you have.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My bad. Thought he had a big hunk of meat.
I'd hate to see a hog that could produce a 70lb loin

I smoked 2 1/2 loins a couple of weekends ago. I brined them for 12 hours in a mixture of water, kosher salt, brown sugar, some apple cider vinegar and vanilla.

I use Kingsford charcoal and a few chunks of apple and hickory wood. About 1/3 hickory and 2/3 apple.
I cook to 155 then wrap in foil and a couple of heavy towels to rest for at least an hour. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Last edited:

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Dry rub the outside, inject the inside with Cherry Dr. Pepper, get them to 148 - 152 always delivers.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Hope you have a good smoker or have it insulated some so it doesn't lose a lot of heat because the weather on Friday sure looks gloomy with a high of only 43 so may take longer than usual depending on the quality of setup you have.

I don't have the same type of smoker, but on my WSM. wind is way more of a factor than air temp. I'll take 20°F and calm over 40°F with 25mph winds.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Mine is a converted Milk Cooler. Double insulated.

The problem is I can't brine it because I am not getting it until Friday morning and the guy who wants it smoked needs it back Friday evening.

So I guess I could give it a short brine, but would it really be worth it or just go with the dry rub?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Don't forget to use a remote meat thermometer. I have a Maverick BB-22 that I don't have go outside all the time and check on the internal temp. I have an electric smoker and noticed it ran hotter than the what the readout on the smoker, so I know for sure what the temp is. I always try and follow this motto: "IF YOU'RE LOOKIN'...... YOU'RE NOT COOKIN".

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Brown sugar the crap out of it, then rub it with what you want.

Also, don't trim the fat, will give it a little more flavor without brine.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Included in this thread:

The bigger the piece of meat the longer it takes.
Thought he had a big hunk of meat.
Do not forget to rest your meat for 10 minutes.
I have a big smoker.
Is Tex smoking it for ya????

It's possible none of these were intended entendres. Not likely, but possible.

Legothug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2007
I use Chris Lilley's pork rub. The recipe is for butt, but it works well on all pork. I also highly recommend a brine overnight. Just get a big bucket and fill 'er up. I like a lot of the Weber brine packets and they're easy to find.

I also can't stress enough what others have mentioned, the cooking temp of pork has been lowered. So a little bit pink is no longer a death sentence. 150F is what I usually hit with a little rest time. I like to wrap in foil for the rest time, but it's kind of whatever.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
145° F.

Do not forget to rest your meat for 10 minutes.

Not me.... I like to smoke it to about 145-150 and then wrap, and rest in a cooler for several hours before serving. I do that with pretty much everything I smoke and it is key to GREAT meat.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
We are going to wrap it up and then throw it in the coolers. It is for an event on Saturday but I cannot be around Saturday to do it.
I just hope they save me some. Otherwise I would be sad.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not me.... I like to smoke it to about 145-150 and then wrap, and rest in a cooler for several hours before serving. I do that with pretty much everything I smoke and it is key to GREAT meat.

There is no reason to do this with pork loin. With pork butts, ribs, or other meats that are high in fat and need to get to higher temps you get some benefit as the meat will stay at a high enough temp to continue to render the fat for a while. Pork loin is lean, and there is no reason to let it rest any longer than you would a steak. In fact, I would think you would risk carry over cooking it too much and starting to dry it out.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
An alternative to salt brining is a baking soda brine. I have never done it but it is supposed to change the chemical composition of the meat making the protein strands unable to tighten thus keeping the meat tender.
Plus it only takes 15-20 minutes.
Like I said though, I have never tried it and certainly wouldn't do it the first time with 70 lbs of meat.

I might try it one day with a chicken breast next time I do chicken.