Smoking Pork Loin

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
There is no reason to do this with pork loin. With pork butts, ribs, or other meats that are high in fat and need to get to higher temps you get some benefit as the meat will stay at a high enough temp to continue to render the fat for a while. Pork loin is lean, and there is no reason to let it rest any longer than you would a steak. In fact, I would think you would risk carry over cooking it too much and starting to dry it out.
Whatever works for you. I've done probably 30 big loins this way and I've never had an issue with drying out or over cooking. You're right on the fat content, but I was just stating what I have done, and I will say it has worked out very well.

Last edited:

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
Mine is a converted Milk Cooler. Double insulated.

The problem is I can't brine it because I am not getting it until Friday morning and the guy who wants it smoked needs it back Friday evening.

So I guess I could give it a short brine, but would it really be worth it or just go with the dry rub?

Inject it.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Smoke the crap out of it at 225°. Take it out at 145° -148° wrap in foil put in oven until 155°-160°. I dont care how you season it. OR Smoke heavily for 15 to 20 minutes no brine then turn up the heat and sear until heavily browned. Again wrap in foil put in oven to same temperature as mentioned above. Wrap well to save the aujus, and put in disposable foil pan covered to save juices from evaporation. The oven temp is about 225°. Many people take the pork off when its done then wait and serve it and it is dry and needs to be smothered in sauce.
Webers beer can chicken seasoning makes an awesome au jus. If you want authentic barb q rub use:4 T paprika, 2T chile powder, 2T ground cumin, 2T brown sugar, 2T salt, 1T dried oregano, 1T white sugar, 1T black pepper, 1T White Pepper, 1-2 tsp cayene pepper. T=tablespoon. Generously rub and use foil and temps as above. Aujus is not good but with a little "doctoring" it is the base of a marvelous barb q sauce. I will leave that to another time. Dont treat a pork loin like bacon, and dont buy a Hormel "always tender" for grilling. Get one not pumped or all bets are off on the above techniques. Have fun and eat well my friends. USE THE THERMOMETER, Do not slice right out of grill/oven and then let it sit, it can dry out. When you rest leave it whole. Dont cold smoke if it isnt cured, it isnt worth it.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Whatever works for you. I've done probably 30 big loins this way and I've never had an issue with drying out or over cooking. You're right on the fat content, but I was just stating what I have done, and I will say it has worked out very well.

If that's how you want to do it, great. It is not, however, the key to great meat as you originally posted.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Don't forget to use a remote meat thermometer. I have a Maverick BB-22 that I don't have go outside all the time and check on the internal temp. I have an electric smoker and noticed it ran hotter than the what the readout on the smoker, so I know for sure what the temp is. I always try and follow this motto: "IF YOU'RE LOOKIN'...... YOU'RE NOT COOKIN".

I use a REDI CHEK. has chamber and meat thermometers both probe reading out on same display. I am old and have about 10 styles of thermometers all read different, learn with pork loin that it is edible when there is no internal pink and it has some texture to it. Unpink juicy pork is done. Unless you microwave it. I have tried it all.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There are so many opinions (and they can all be correct), let me just say: have a few brewskis while smoking meat. I come from a long family history of delicious BBQer's, and beer has always been a critical step.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
OP, So how did this turn out? What did you end up doing?

Don't leave us hanging.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
OP, So how did this turn out? What did you end up doing?

Don't leave us hanging.

Ya I want to know, tell us what would you have wanted to make it better, maybe it was perfect. We will give all the unsolicited advice you can handle. BBQ/smoking is an art. I cant believe it when people argue over the best way to do something, if you get results that you like, run with it.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
It ended up good. It was super moist.

I rubbed it down with brown sugar and a spice mix. It was pretty basic flavor, just to enhance the flavor of the pork, nothing over powering. It was for a large group of people so I didn't want anything to crazy.

Used apple wood chips and left it on for 5 hours. The bark was tremendous, and the meat was good tasting pork.

I am going to brine next time I smoke it, and play around with a few different things. Not sure what yet.