Smartwatches and golf

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
A couple things. I have a Gear S3 and play a lot of golf.

First thing, what golf app do you use that gives you fairly accurate yardage?

Second thing, and this is the biggest pain for me. I use my phone to play music while playing, hooked up to a bluetooth speaker. The issue that I have is that as soon as I leave my bag/phone to go putt, my watch drops connection with my phone and for whatever reason Pandora stops even though the bluetooth speaker is still connected. Is there a setting or an app that I can use to prevent this from happening so that I don't have to shut off my bluetooth on my watch in effect killing my opportunity to use a golf app on the watch.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have a buddy that uses one (not sure which one). It alternates between being pretty handy and excruciatingly annoying as he insists on getting a yardage on nearly every shot, even when the thing is bugging out and losing connection randomly. He'll just stand there and wait.
Then shanks it into the rough?

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I've used the apps with my apple watch, ok for some of the time, but pretty frustrating overall on the apple watch.. I ended up buying a Bushnell laser ranger finder and am much happier with it. More accurate and much faster. There seemed to be lag on the watch. I still wear my watch when I golf but prefer the range finder for distance.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I feel like most apps on my phone have been inaccurate to the tune of 5-10 yards which is a killer. I have a Garmin fenix 5 that I also use for biking that has been solid though. The most accurate is probably a laser range finder to be honest.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Eyeball it. If its downhill or there is a valley inbetween or other things, the distance is just a small fraction of what to use.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I hate slow golfers as well, but I feel my gadgets speed me up. I don't have to look for yardage. Currently I have a bushnell on my bag, but it dies before we finish usually, and I bought my son a laser, but I usually forget to "borrow" it. But my phone and watch are always by me. I had a good app last year, but can't seem to remember what I used as I reset my watch since last season. I do love the golfpad phone app, but didn't know if it was worth $20/year especially if I can't listen to music without disconnecting my watch.

CyJack2299

Mar 26, 2019
I use GolfLogix when I’m on a new course. It just uses the GPS on your phone. Costs like $30 a year I think. On my home course, I just eyeball it cause I’ve played it so much

Last edited:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
A couple things. I have a Gear S3 and play a lot of golf.

First thing, what golf app do you use that gives you fairly accurate yardage?

Second thing, and this is the biggest pain for me. I use my phone to play music while playing, hooked up to a bluetooth speaker. The issue that I have is that as soon as I leave my bag/phone to go putt, my watch drops connection with my phone and for whatever reason Pandora stops even though the bluetooth speaker is still connected. Is there a setting or an app that I can use to prevent this from happening so that I don't have to shut off my bluetooth on my watch in effect killing my opportunity to use a golf app on the watch.

First thing that comes to mind with music while golfing:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
With my lack of consistency the 100 and 150 yard markers are good enough. Unless I am drinking and pissed off and I mistake a 100 for a 150 and get "Dude, WTF did you hit there!"

• Funny
Reactions: ruflosn

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
One of these years I'll get good enough that getting my yardage would actually help me in anyway. Probably not, but a guy can dream

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I've got a Garmin S20 watch, which I like a lot. If it's a new course, I download the course to the app on my phone beforehand otherwise, the watch knows the course by my location. It takes a couple minutes to find the GPS satellites to start, but after that it is almost instant. I track my score in it too. It has more advanced stuff like club tracking and such, but I'm not good enough to take advantage of those things.

The only thing I miss is that it only reports front, middle, and back of green, so I don't get yardage info on fairway bunkers and such.

• Informative
Reactions: stateofmind

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
With my lack of consistency the 100 and 150 yard markers are good enough. Unless I am drinking and pissed off and I mistake a 100 for a 150 and get "Dude, WTF did you hit there!"
That works if you are near the fairway you are supposed to be playing. As a 14 handicap I tend to be in another fairway often. Unfortunately at Briarwood two-thirds of the holes have at least one side OB, so I'm very intrigued by the new distance and two-penalty rule.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I use the Garmin Approach S1 GPS Golf Watch. I love it as it is on my wrist so I have instant yardage. Definitely speeds up play. Also has every course on it for free, no need to download courses.