Smartwatches and golf

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Doesn't anybody step off yardage anymore??? HA!

My daughter's rangefinder battery went dead in the middle of a meet a couple of years ago - she was completely lost as to how to figure yardage. Basically, just eyeballing between yard markers. Afterwards I suggested to Coach that he teach the team how to step off yardage and use either flag color or the position of the small flag to determine pin depth on the green. He laughed and said it would be easier to just make sure that everyone has a spare battery before the meet starts.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
I've got a Garmin S20 watch, which I like a lot. If it's a new course, I download the course to the app on my phone beforehand otherwise, the watch knows the course by my location. It takes a couple minutes to find the GPS satellites to start, but after that it is almost instant. I track my score in it too. It has more advanced stuff like club tracking and such, but I'm not good enough to take advantage of those things.

The only thing I miss is that it only reports front, middle, and back of green, so I don't get yardage info on fairway bunkers and such.

You sure it doesn't do hazards and other stuff?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I don't mind that this has become the best way to determine yards, but was not the intention of my OP. I use the old step-off from yard markers, gps, laser, etc. But I wanted to see what other people use on their watch, and how to keep music playing when I walk away so that I don't have to restart the music when I return to the bag.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Buy a rangefinder IMO, hands down the best thing I've ever bought for golfing.

But I think Golfpad has an app for Gear watches and I like that app.

What rangefinder do you recommend? I've always wanted one but can never convince myself to spend the money. Seems like they are $200 up to $400.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That works if you are near the fairway you are supposed to be playing. As a 14 handicap I tend to be in another fairway often. Unfortunately at Briarwood two-thirds of the holes have at least one side OB, so I'm very intrigued by the new distance and two-penalty rule.

We used that rule for a long time in the work league I used to play in to speed up play.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What rangefinder do you recommend? I've always wanted one but can never convince myself to spend the money. Seems like they are $200 up to $400.
Everyone says Bushnell is the best but I couldn't handle the price, especially since I'd never used a range finder before. I ended up buying this one last season just hoping it was ok and it's been fantastic. I compared it to a guy with I think a few year old either Bushnell or Nikon (can't remember) and it was a yard off of his.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/electronics/rangefinders/golf-buddy-lr7s-laser-rangefinder/

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't mind that this has become the best way to determine yards, but was not the intention of my OP. I use the old step-off from yard markers, gps, laser, etc. But I wanted to see what other people use on their watch, and how to keep music playing when I walk away so that I don't have to restart the music when I return to the bag.
I don't know about the music thing, could you keep your phone in your pocket rather than your bag so it's always close to your watch?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Doesn't anybody step off yardage anymore??? HA!

My daughter's rangefinder battery went dead in the middle of a meet a couple of years ago - she was completely lost as to how to figure yardage. Basically, just eyeballing between yard markers. Afterwards I suggested to Coach that he teach the team how to step off yardage and use either flag color or the position of the small flag to determine pin depth on the green. He laughed and said it would be easier to just make sure that everyone has a spare battery before the meet starts.

Well, yeah. That's what caddies are for :cool:

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I got my Bushnell v2 at a pawn shop when I was buying my wife a gift (and ye. So I got mine for like $50. Been a great buy. Saves time and very accurate!
Everyone says Bushnell is the best but I couldn't handle the price, especially since I'd never used a range finder before. I ended up buying this one last season just hoping it was ok and it's been fantastic. I compared it to a guy with I think a few year old either Bushnell or Nikon (can't remember) and it was a yard off of his.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/electronics/rangefinders/golf-buddy-lr7s-laser-rangefinder/
Bushnell is the best. So I found one at a pawn shop and got a great deal on it. Loved having it last year. Made life alot easier on the golf course.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
A couple things. I have a Gear S3 and play a lot of golf.

First thing, what golf app do you use that gives you fairly accurate yardage?

Second thing, and this is the biggest pain for me. I use my phone to play music while playing, hooked up to a bluetooth speaker. The issue that I have is that as soon as I leave my bag/phone to go putt, my watch drops connection with my phone and for whatever reason Pandora stops even though the bluetooth speaker is still connected. Is there a setting or an app that I can use to prevent this from happening so that I don't have to shut off my bluetooth on my watch in effect killing my opportunity to use a golf app on the watch.
Not positive this will work but... Go to your bluetooth connection settings, select the gear icon next to your watch, deselect 'Media audio'. HTH