Shonn Greene's effect on EIU's season

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
One player can make a difference. How many games would Iowa have lost this year without him?

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
He is/was good. 1800 some yards and like 22 TD's? I would say he had an impact. I would also say this subject has been beaten to death on this board.

prdhawk

Dec 29, 2008
knoxville
he will be missed but the o line is very good and will be again next year and jewel hampton is also a very capable back.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
i hate shonne greene... mainly only because he is good and plays for the bad guys... happy he is going away. Stanzi better workout that arm in offseason

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
Shonn Greene is a very good back. He was also running behind one of the best offensive lines in the country. I guess you could also ask, where would Florida be without Tebow? Where would Texas be without Colt Mccoy?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yeah, as others have said, I think Hampton would have been fine. Their offensive line is among the best in the country.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Iowa is loaded regardless of Greene. We have plenty of guys to step in and replace him. We will win 10 games next year. You just wait and see.

-DJK & Southernhawk.

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
One player can make a difference. How many games would Iowa have lost this year without him?

Let's see, off the top of my head, not Maine, not FIU, not Wisconsin, not Minnesota, not Indiana, not South Carolina, and probably not Iowa State.

Probably Penn State, Maybe Purdue.

So one more, maybe two.

The difference, I suspect, would be they lose a few games worse than they did, and don't have as many dominating wins.

How many games would Florida have lost this year without Tim Tebow? Texas without Colt McCoy? What's your point? Iowa isn't allowed to have a real, standout, impact player?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Let's see, off the top of my head, not Maine, not FIU, not Wisconsin, not Minnesota, not Indiana, not South Carolina, and probably not Iowa State.

Probably Penn State, Maybe Purdue.

So one more, maybe two.

The difference, I suspect, would be they lose a few games worse than they did, and don't have as many dominating wins.

How many games would Florida have lost this year without Tim Tebow? Texas without Colt McCoy? What's your point? Iowa isn't allowed to have a real, standout, impact player?

Fair point. There are lots of teams, especially in college that rely heavily on one player. How many games does ISU win during Seneca's senior year without him? I'd say about 3. Maybe less. I do think Greene's impact was bigger than most Hawk fans think.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Iowa is loaded regardless of Greene. We have plenty of guys to step in and replace him. We will win 10 games next year. You just wait and see.

-DJK & Southernhawk.

Outstanding post! LOL! Living in eastern Iowa...all I hear from the delusional ones (Hawk fans) is that Iowa won't miss a beat with Hampton replacing Greene! He is better than Greene...just needs experience. This is only a SLIGHT exaggeration as every player on the Iowa roster is better is going to develop into an all-Big Ten type player! So I hear...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Iowa would have had the same record without him. I think he's a tad overrated actually.

Jewel Hampton, I believe, would have done VERY well with the same blocking as Greene had. Granted, Greene would have broken more tackles, but I think Hampton would have made up for it with more elusiveness and speed.

Iowa will be good again next year. Not great by any means, but good. As we have all seen, the Big 10 was WEAK. That enabled Iowa to get to a better bowl than they deserved... and then they got extremely lucky to get South Carolina for their matchup. They were awful IMO.

But Iowa will win 7 games next year and go to another bowl they don't deserve because of how their fans travel. What else is new?

hawkeyeguy85

Jan 17, 2007
Fair point. There are lots of teams, especially in college that rely heavily on one player. How many games does ISU win during Seneca's senior year without him? I'd say about 3. Maybe less. I do think Greene's impact was bigger than most Hawk fans think.

Probably true, but they aren't losing the two cupcakes, and it's hard to quantify the impact in the Wisc, S. Car, Minn, and Indiana games that were won by an average of 33 points.

Like I said they still probably win those, just not handily.

Argue what you want about Purdue Penn State and ISU. Really, I think the Purdue game is the best lock for which they lose without him, since greene carried the team in that game with 200+ yards.

I think you could make a case for the other two to go either way and not be wrong, as Greene wasn't the sole, or even main reason they won those.

Last edited:

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO

-DJK & Southernhawk.
Funny! :yes: But in fairness to DJK and SouthernHawk, they aren't really the "koolaid drinking" sorts. Both seem to have a reasonably rational perspective on their favorite team. I'm sure it isn't hard to find Iowa fans who fit your assumptions, though.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I think Iowa would have had the same record without him. I think he's a tad overrated actually.

Jewel Hampton, I believe, would have done VERY well with the same blocking as Greene had. Granted, Greene would have broken more tackles, but I think Hampton would have made up for it with more elusiveness and speed.

Iowa will be good again next year. Not great by any means, but good. As we have all seen, the Big 10 was WEAK. That enabled Iowa to get to a better bowl than they deserved... and then they got extremely lucky to get South Carolina for their matchup. They were awful IMO.

But Iowa will win 7 games next year and go to another bowl they don't deserve because of how their fans travel. What else is new?

1. If you think the best running back in the country is over-rated, you must have pretty high standards. Other than his offensive line, there is no reason to say that he was overrated in any category. Yeah, they cleared some pretty big holes for him, but he created his own lanes or broke tackles just as often. Please, how exactly is Shonn Greene over-rated?

2. This ridiculous argument again. Bowl games aren't about who deserved to be there.

3. You answered your own question. Nice job - just remember that next year if Iowa gets a bowl game they don't deserve.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
THE OBSESSION WITH IOWA ON THIS SITE IS GOING TO KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I don't give a crap, the season is over for all I care I would find it hilarious if hes a bust though, just my 2 cents worth. Go State!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron