Shaping of the football staff...

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Whoever it is. I hope he is a young and aggressive recruiter just like Louis Ayeni. Player development is vital at ISU, but it all starts with recruiting. I love what Louis brings to the table, and I hope the next hire is an impressive recruiter as well.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Whoever it is. I hope he is a young and aggressive recruiter just like Louis Ayeni. Player development is vital at ISU, but it all starts with recruiting. I love what Louis brings to the table, and I hope the next hire is an impressive recruiter as well.
Of course we want, and can get both. However, assuming they will be QB coach, the foremost need is for them to be a great teacher. That position, and the passing game overall has lacked development for almost a decade. A young good recruiter may be able to get us a few slightly better recruits , but that is not going to translate to much more success, if any. I'll take a well coached 3 star QB over the "young recruiter" maybe getting one 4 star high schooler at some random position.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Almost forgot that he should be considered for the QB job along with Sage, Seneca, Bret, Austen, Steele, Jared, Austin. Hell throw Josh Lenz in there, he had a great QB rating.

Ok, I am just going to throw this out there. How about Fred Hoiberg, rumor is he was a pretty good QB in his day (recruited to play QB for Nebraska) and he is a proven college coach. If only we could find out if he would take some time away from his current position, whatever that is, to help out the football team. I am going to email Pollard.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't know now, I wasn't expecting Mangino, but I really like it. I also really like this new RB coach. I just think AF has a great future and think it would be beneficial to get him here (he can learn from Mangino, Klenakas and Sturdy) for maybe a future OC and I think his Texas ties would be really good in Texas.

Doesn't the mention of Ayeni recruiting Texas indicate that Flynn isn't on the radar?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Of course we want, and can get both. However, assuming they will be QB coach, the foremost need is for them to be a great teacher. That position, and the passing game overall has lacked development for almost a decade. A young good recruiter may be able to get us a few slightly better recruits , but that is not going to translate to much more success, if any. I'll take a well coached 3 star QB over the "young recruiter" maybe getting one 4 star high schooler at some random position.

Being a great teacher is important at ISU, but recruiting is the biggest hurdle that ISU faces. I'm not talking about stars. I'm talking about coaches that will put in the work to find and evaluate talent and when they find it they can get those kids to visit and close the deal with those kids. I could care less about stars.

ISU is rarely going to be a low hanging fruit type of school. There are a lot of very talented players that aren't necessarily obvious to everyone. Finding those kids requires hard work, thorough research, networking, an eye for talent, etc. I could care less about stars. We have to find the gems that the blue bloods overlook. The guys that have proven that they have the talent to do that is who I'm talking about.

This isn't about one player. It is about a deeper more talented roster of players.

Last edited:

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I think Sage's mouth on twitter is probably going to hurt him when looking for coaching jobs.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
While we're throwing around names of former QB's, why not Bret Meyer or Seneca Wallace since he's more than likely retiring within the next few days?

My brother is actually rehabbing with Seneca down in Texas. He wants to try and play one more year for sure then joked that he would be interested in getting into coaching

Todd Reesing for quarterback coach could be interesting. He played in Canada, but is available.

Reesing is doing pretty well in private business from what I have heard, working directly for one of KU's biggest boosters, that guy who bought the "rules of basketball"

If we are talking former Cyclone QB's I would MUCH rather have Sage. Mainly because it seems like he has played for just about every QB "guru" in the NFL and can combine all of that into his teachings. Just from his twitter though it seems like he is trying to angle to be an NFL assistant more than a college assistant...

Those saying Arnaud, I would be all for him joining the staff, as a GA. But he has stated that he is not interested in that.

Quartaro intrigues me, I think it would be a pretty solid hire.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Being a great teacher is important at ISU, but recruiting is the biggest hurdle that ISU faces. I'm not talking about stars. I'm talking about coaches that will put in the work to find and evaluate talent and when they find it they can get those kids to visit and close the deal with those kids. I could care less about stars.

ISU is rarely going to be a low hanging fruit type of school. There are a lot of very talented players that aren't necessarily obvious to everyone. Finding those kids requires hard work, thorough research, networking, an eye for talent, etc. I could care less about stars. We have to find the gems that the blue bloods overlook. The guys that have proven that they have the talent to do that is who I'm talking about.

This isn't about one player. It is about a deeper more talented roster of players.

Good clichés and everything, but you are in fantasy land.
Getting high level play at the QB spot has far more of an impact than a single coach recruiting slightly better players. Of course, no one ever cares about stars. As should always be understood when talking about stars, when speaking in generalities (not a specific player), stars are used to mean better players. What they are actually rated does not matter. I'll talk in your language: those great no stars that have been misevaluated will only turn out to be good players with good coaching. Even most "low-hanging" fruit need that will. In reality, even that hard-working, great eye for talent young recruiter is bringing in only a handleful of maybe slightly better recruits. That will not go as far as taking the QBs we already have and develop them to a proficient level.

Last edited:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Good clichés and everything, but you are in fantasy land.
Getting high level play at the QB spot has far better impact than a single coach recruiting slightly better players. Ye, of course, no one ever cares about stars. For the hundredth time, when speaking in generalities (not a specific player), stars are used to mean better players. But I'll talk in your language: those great no stars thst have been misevaluated will only turn out to be good players with good coaching. In reality, even that hard-working, great eye for talent young recruiter is bringing in only a handleful of maybe slightly better recruits. That will not go as far as taking the QBs we already have and develop them to a proficient level.

I don't live in the fantasy land that one player makes a good team.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don't live in the fantasy land that one player makes a good team.

When the one player is a QB, yes they do. A good QB has the biggest impact on the W/L column than any other position, and it's not even close to being close.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
When the one player is a QB, yes they do. A good QB has the biggest impact on the W/L column than any other position, and it's not even close to being close.

See Johnny Manziel and A&M. Rodgers and Packers. It today's game a good QB makes a huge difference.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Question. I know several people were against promoting coach K because he worked under Mess one year.

What if we promote him in a few years after the offense is very successful and Mangino gets a HC job again?

Or maybe we get lucky and Mangino sticks here at OC.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

You aren't going to get an argument from me that the QB isn't the most important individual player on offense. Thus, we better recruit good ones.

With that said it doesn't mean the other 10 players are not critical to success. No offense works if you can't block. Talent matters at every position.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
Quote from Rhoads on if Mangino will handle QB's next year...

"Have not settled on that yet. Louis will definitely be running backs coach and as we figure out the next spot, we will decide whether Mark coordinates from the tight ends spot or from the quarterback position."

I am reading into this that Mark will do TE's and they hire outside for QB's. Just a guess. What do you guys think?

I interpreted this completely opposite. I think Mangino wants to be the QB coach, but they are waiting to fill the TE spot first.