Shaping of the football staff...

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Grooming is what I meant. There will always be differing styles when you have a different playcaller, but we need to have the same basic playbook/terminology/base offense, IMO. The new guy will always add his own wrinkles but it would not be good to start over with a new system in 2 years, assuming MM gets another HC gig. We need stability in an offense for awhile. If we don't have anyone as his understudy, it could be a long road to hoe when MM leaves. Plus, his system is proven.

That is a good philosophy for any hire at that level. You want to hire someone hungry, ambitious and that you could envision developing into an OC or future HQ and someone that fills a deficit that exists amongst current staff. Grooming or whatever you want to call it proff. Mentoring etc. should be part of every coaches professional development. The types intereste in that generally work harder and smarter and do not become complacent. The exception would be if they are just a master teacher (QB whisperer type) and love that aspect and completly content which in general may not be the best long term but would be very valuable to this program as it is a deficiency of Rhoads.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Need a coach?

Joel Osborn----Northwest Missouri State. Very young, BUT he has all the pedigree and experience and is set up for success. Iowa roots, former Des Moines Register high school athlete of the year. Has been in big games. Former two sport all state honors. National championship game experience. His father just earned his 600th win as a coach. Doesn't seem to be that big of a reach to me, really. He told me personally he is in contact with the ISU coaches.

If we were going this direction, I would be more interested in NWMSU Head Coach Adam Dorrel. Adam was OC before he became head coach 3 years ago. He is from Maryville, so I have no idea if staying at NWMSU is what he wants to do or moving to a bigger program in a position coach role would appeal to him or not.

I think Joel Osborn has a bright future but would be more of a reach than Adam.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
So, on the Kansas staff at the height of Mangino's best teams were these 2 guys:

Nick Quartaro and Ed Warinner

We need to hire Mangino's replacement as QB (or other) coach now and make him OC later, assuming we lose MM (likely will) in 2-4 years. We need someone to continue to run his offense after he leaves. Quartaro could be a great hire as he was on DMac's staff before I think?

Warinner is out as he is at Ohio State. Doubt we could afford him and he is an Ohio native. Quartaro may be worth a look. He is at North Texas now.

I love your enthusiasm DDC...but if he hires an all-star staff here, and moves on to a HC position...there is nothing to keep him from taking those guys from us and promoting them himself at a different school. They'd probably be likely to follow him since he has been a proven head coach before, and not an OC just getting his first HC job. Another reason we could be back to square one in a few years with this hire.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I love your enthusiasm DDC...but if he hires an all-star staff here, and moves on to a HC position...there is nothing to keep him from taking those guys from us and promoting them himself at a different school. They'd probably be likely to follow him since he has been a proven head coach before, and not an OC just getting his first HC job. Another reason we could be back to square one in a few years with this hire.

True, that could happen. But CPR could have some influence on who is chosen as say, QB coach, who has ties to us, like a Nick Quartaro, who might want to stay in Iowa longer term and could move on to OC later. I haven't been a huge proponent of a Sage R type hire, but as an understudy, might make sense for us longer term. Slippery slope as we want MM running the show, but maybe there is a way to make it a win-win?

That understudy/QB Coach could very well be Todd Sturdy.

Last edited:

Im4State

Oct 16, 2009
Urbandale
I'm pretty sure CPR and CMM know what the hell they are doing.... and I would bank my mortgage against them picking a former ISU QB. Why does everyone think that we're only good enough to have old QB's come back to their alma mater? I think with the Magino hire it shows Rhoads is going to ensure we put the right people in the right places from now on.

I'd like to develop our QB's, score points and win games... so NO to any ISU QB as QB coach (and that's not a slight on any of them).

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
I'm pretty sure CPR and CMM know what the hell they are doing.... and I would bank my mortgage against them picking a former ISU QB. Why does everyone think that we're only good enough to have old QB's come back to their alma mater? I think with the Magino hire it shows Rhoads is going to ensure we put the right people in the right places from now on.

I'd like to develop our QB's, score points and win games... so NO to any ISU QB as QB coach (and that's not a slight on any of them).

AMEN!!! AF or SR are not coming to be the QB coach and they shouldn't be - not even close to being qualified. I have a sneaking feeling that Mangino knows a few people (perhpas a few hundred) that he would call long before he made a novelty pick of a former ISU player.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
AMEN!!! AF or SR are not coming to be the QB coach and they shouldn't be - not even close to being qualified. I have a sneaking feeling that Mangino knows a few people (perhpas a few hundred) that he would call long before he made a novelty pick of a former ISU player.

I can probably go find about 20 QB coaches less qualified when they were hired than AF is now. Also, it's not just about being a former player. If Strohmeir was a reasonable candidate at OC, Flynn is a reasonable candidate at QB coach.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

You're missing the point. MM will be hired as a HC within 2 years most likely. We need an understudy who is more tied to ISU/CPR than MM to stay after Mangino departs. I also said Todd Sturdy would most likely be that guy, IMO. If we don't plan now for MM leaving we are making a huge mistake.

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Honestly I think the biggest idiots are the ones who say there is no chance we have Sage or Flynn on staff. Do I think it's guaranteed they will be no. That doesn't mean we absolutely won't though. I also don't get how they are unqualified. Yes they don't have experience for a coordinator position but Sage has played in the NFL and he had that camp at SEP with Orton that shows his ability to teach. Flynn was the OC for an undefeated National Championship team. That says enough.

I believe we have three open spots and one will be taken by Mangino.

QB: Sage or Mangino choice
TE: Flynn or Mangino choice
OL: Mangino

One will be Mangino's choice and the other will be an Iowa State choice that Mangino likes. I don't get what about this is unreasonable. Not that it happens but I see it as most likely.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'd still rather see Sturdy move over to coach QB's than see an inexperienced Sage there. If Sage is a legitimate candidate for a spot on the offensive staff than he should start at a position like receivers or tight ends, then he'll maybe get a chance to coach QB's in the future.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I'd still rather see Sturdy move over to coach QB's than see an inexperienced Sage there. If Sage is a legitimate candidate for a spot on the offensive staff than he should start at a position like receivers or tight ends, then he'll maybe get a chance to coach QB's in the future.

Makes most sense since Sturdy coached QB's/OC at Wazzu. Being a native Iowan, he would be the most likely to want to stay with a promotion. Don't think he will have to wait long for his chance at OC.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I wouldn't mind seeing Sage get a chance but I just don't think its going to happen at this point. With Rhoads getting 2 huge hires, you can tell he is wanting to whatever he can to succeed here. At this point in the game, its make or break time for CPR and just don't see him going any other way except someone that's proven.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
With Rhoads getting 2 huge hires, you can tell he is wanting to whatever he can to succeed here. At this point in the game, its make or break time for CPR and just don't see him going any other way except someone that's proven.
Is this a new mode of operation?
Make or break time is several years away imo.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Just a thought - Coach Mangino's son, Tommy, is the QB grad assistant at Arkansas. Any chance he could join the staff in a situation similar to the Burnhams? Probably a reach, but it was one of the reasons Wally came to ISU, the opportunity to coach w/ his son. Not sure Tommy has the experience, though...

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I feel like Sage knows more about the QB position than a lot of guys when they are first hired. He's a smart guy who's learned from a lot of coaches. It's not like he's a great athlete who got by purely on talent and has a low IQ who can barely speak like a lot of athletes. I'd feel a lot better about him getting his chance with an OC like Mangino.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Just a thought - Coach Mangino's son, Tommy, is the QB grad assistant at Arkansas. Any chance he could join the staff in a situation similar to the Burnhams? Probably a reach, but it was one of the reasons Wally came to ISU, the opportunity to coach w/ his son. Not sure Tommy has the experience, though...

Thought about that as well. It is possible IMO. Not concerned with Mangino leading our offense. We will have a decent offense in 2014.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I feel like Sage knows more about the QB position than a lot of guys when they are first hired. He's a smart guy who's learned from a lot of coaches. It's not like he's a great athlete who got by purely on talent and has a low IQ who can barely speak like a lot of athletes. I'd feel a lot better about him getting his chance with an OC like Mangino.

5e8.jpg

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Does anyone know what MM coaching specialty is? (Will he take the O Line now?)

He has mostly worked with OLs, although he has done TEs before. My guess is as OC he will be with the TEs. OL Coach is a big job by itself