Shaping of the football staff...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
My guess is that Mangino could hire whoever he wants to for the QB coach. So Flynn and Sage are not likely IMO, and they really shouldn't be either. They aren't qualified enough IMO. Let Mangino get who he wants.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I could look this up on my own but is there anyone from his staff at Kansas that could be a potential hire?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
My guess is that Mangino could hire whoever he wants to for the QB coach. So Flynn and Sage are not likely IMO, and they really shouldn't be either. They aren't qualified enough IMO. Let Mangino get who he wants.

Agree. If Mangino wants to coach the QB's the job is his. If Mangino wants to bring in someone else to coach the QB's then Mangino will handle the TE's. That is the way I see it. Completely up to Mangino. Rhoads said it is Mangino's offense.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Maybe Mangino wants a former QB that he coached like Todd Reesing? I remember that guy, he was pretty good (although, probably not a coach)

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I would want Mangino to concentrate on TE's and bring in an individual to be just an QB coach. The reason being is I think that since the QB is the heartbeat of the offense why not allow that person to focus solely on that position. Maybe CPR was trying to say he is going to give Mangino the opportunity to bring in someone that he wants to be either the TE or QB coach?

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
AF is not going to get hired, I think Sage would be a fine hire but I agree with the statement that if Rhoads wants the best oppertunity to have a great offense is to let Mangino at least have a good say in the hire.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Maybe Mangino wants a former QB that he coached like Todd Reesing? I remember that guy, he was pretty good (although, probably not a coach)

Magino has a son who is a grad assistant at Arkansas. That's my pick.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Could Coach K work with the QBs? Didn't he do this with Nevada?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
While we're throwing around names of former QB's, why not Bret Meyer or Seneca Wallace since he's more than likely retiring within the next few days?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
While we're throwing around names of former QB's, why not Bret Meyer or Seneca Wallace since he's more than likely retiring within the next few days?

Hell, let's hire Marv Seiler as QB coach. He beat a pretty good Nebraska squad in his only start.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I would be completely OK with letting Mangino pick who he wants to coach his quarterbacks.

In fact, I think Rhoads should just hand him the keys and say have fun and score points. I'll talk to you after the games.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
What I really like is CPR made it clear he wanted new blood, Mangino was his first choice despite having no previous connection. And he had to sell Mangino on becoming a Cyclone. My man crush on Rhoads is even greater than before. Our head coach is a keeper!!!!

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I may be in the minority here but I hope they get someone who has some experience coaching QBs...which would probably leave any former Cyclones out.

I think a good to great QB coach would make a world of difference in the offense, especially with ISU's young QBs...to me, it's probably the most important offensive coach. Someone who is dedicated solely to them and can stay on them about mechanics, help them read defenses and make pre-snap adjustments, and has the ability to get them to understand the decision-making it takes to play QB...someone who can get them to develop and improve all those skills...a real teacher...

It may sound obvious but I think it's tougher than it sounds...it takes a certain skill as a coach to relate those things and I'm not sure there's been someone like that the last few years because the QBs haven't seemed to develop like they should...although Rohach did come on at the end of the year, but against some bad defenses.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron