Serious question: Are kids worth it?

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
First at 34, second at 38. Financially secure and emotionally mature.

Now both are on their way in life in very positive trajectories. Downtown MPLS and Greeley, CO. Spend time in a mini city and the Rocky Mountains .Nice.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I enjoy only having to worry about myself. My pets are enough for me. I think if I would have been alive in the 50's or something I would have had kid's but not this day and age. It's hard to be middle class and there are lots of uncertainties in this world(climate change,etc..).

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah, multiple studies have shown people without kids are happier. That's why I have four of them. Lol!

I figured when you get down to it the ultimate goal of life is to spread and procreate, so you're kind of missing out on the essence of life if you don't take part in that.

Happiness in studies is often defined as flexibility with finances, relationships, and time. So I mean yeah, duh.

But studies have also shown people with children have higher self esteem, greater purpose, and are more satisfied with life. Which also sounds like happiness, I guess, just a different kind.

Reactions: Bobber and 83cy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Dont be pressured into it. Its OK to not have kids.

We have had some seriously heartbreaking miscarriages along the journey as well. Nothing can make you want to beat a face into oblivion when someone asks and arent aware when you're going to have them. People commenting about someone else's family is an ancient way of thinking-so dont do it.

My wife would like to have more kids but I also dont want to be the old geezer when they graduate college/get married. Time will tell.

The minutes after birth in a hospital room are undeniably the best in your life. Better than your wedding day.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Before I answer... worth what?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Having kids will change your life forever..Mostly for good. For some people it just isn't part of their plan and i can respect that.

But I don't want to be 60 with both my Parents dead and basically have no family at all in my ageing years.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and Blandboy

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Dont be pressured into it. Its OK to not have kids.

We have had some seriously heartbreaking miscarriages along the journey as well. Nothing can make you want to beat a face into oblivion when someone asks and arent aware when you're going to have them. People commenting about someone else's family is an ancient way of thinking-so dont do it.

My wife would like to have more kids but I also dont want to be the old geezer when they graduate college/get married. Time will tell.

The minutes after birth in a hospital room are undeniably the best in your life. Better than your wedding day.
Yeah the kid pushers need to mind their own ******* business. Those are the people who wish they didn’t have kids and can’t stand it when others choose not to.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I can’t really answer this well, ever since I can remember I always pictured and wanted to be a dad one day. For me becoming a dad was a major step in making me a better person. Being a parent is non stop but really, what the hell else would I do.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Absolutely! We have three daughters and it was awesome watching their personalities develop and to see how they use their God-given talents and abilities. And grand-parenting is even better...our 7 littles (3-12) keep us young and thoroughly enrich our lives.

Reactions: Cyclone06

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Someone mentioned thoughts on their deathbed. When I’m on mine I will think about my kids and grandkids who are hopefully around me, not a trip to dubai or something. To each their own.

If you don’t think you want kids, don’t, but be honest with your spouse. Don’t hold that from them, walk away and find others with similar beliefs.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and Cyclone06

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Sometimes the issue was through the parents.
We were blessed to have one daughter, we grew as parents - would not walk away from that privilege - EVER.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
This is not an easy answer.

As a newer pop I can say I wanted to throat punch anyone who downplayed how mother ******* difficult it is.

Your wife will be a different person. You will stop existing as you are. Your finances will be ****** up. (Checkout daycare prices just as a starting point)

Think long. Think hard beforehand. It's a financial, personal, physical reboot of your entire existence.

It certainly isn't easy. But it's a great way to get over yourself. And there's nothing wrong with learning to serve others. If you do it right, they go from being dependents to your best friends with whom you enjoy spending time.

Last edited:

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
We have two- one of the best decisions of my life and we wouldn’t do it differently even if we could.

Kids will make you crazy, proud, cry, laugh, and they definitely give you a greater appreciation for your own parents and all the b.s. you put them through.

You also find out what you and your spouse are made of, but if it all works out, I think you come out stronger on the other side as a couple.

Reactions: Peter

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Yes. Parenting is awesome, as long as you're not a self centered piece of ****. Love my kids more than anything in the world. People who ***** about their kids, and how hard it is are either stupid or lazy. . It isn't that hard. Just be responsible and love them.
You don’t know everyone’s specific situation, so to call out people as stupid or lazy is, well stupid and lazy.

August

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2018
Colorado
Absolutely yes on having kids. If you have ever wondered about your own existence, why am I here, what is life? Just wait till you witness the birth and look your first newborn in the eye. You will never have those questions again! I have two kids, both in late twenties now. Smart and successful in their own right. And when you realize that they have grown to be better than you are, that you and your wife did a good job raising them, wow, that is really special! And it makes any hardships worth it!!