Serious question: Are kids worth it?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Frankly, I think for a lot of people they aren't but it's impossible to know in your case.

I did some a summary of some research that showed that as a group, child-less couples were in general happier than couples with kids.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The more my friends keep popping out kids, the more ******** I hear about all the negatives. My wife and I are in our late 20’s and are eventually planning on starting a family, but everything I hear sounds terrible. For the parents on here, would you do it all again?

Have two in college, and one still in high school. Soon will be empty nest. I would do it all over again if given the chance....dirty diapers, late night illnesses, homework all the smiles and cries. Yeah..........they are more than worth it. Wait until your first calls you daddy.....you won't need us to answer that question.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Also, 2 is fine, 3 is a ******* circus.

One of my best friends & his wife have 2 boys

I remember talking to him before the first and he said "We're planning to have 4 kids"

Then talked to him shortly after the first was born: "We're planning to have 2 kids"

Still give him a hard time every so often :cool:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is not an easy answer.

As a newer pop I can say I wanted to throat punch anyone who downplayed how mother ******* difficult it is.

Your wife will be a different person. You will stop existing as you are. Your finances will be ****** up. (Checkout daycare prices just as a starting point)

Think long. Think hard beforehand. It's a financial, personal, physical reboot of your entire existence.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The more my friends keep popping out kids, the more ******** I hear about all the negatives. My wife and I are in our late 20’s and are eventually planning on starting a family, but everything I hear sounds terrible. For the parents on here, would you do it all again?

Yes. Parenting is awesome, as long as you're not a self centered piece of ****. Love my kids more than anything in the world. People who ***** about their kids, and how hard it is are either stupid or lazy. . It isn't that hard. Just be responsible and love them.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I have 5. It is 100% worth it. If you are selfish though, it will be horrible.

If you decide to have more than one kid and are overwhelmed with 2, don’t have a third, but anything after 3 kids is the same.

I will say, my grocery bill in 10 years will be higher than my mortgage probably.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Kids are exhausting, frustrating, unbearable at times, completely dependent on you for years, do not come with a guide book, confusing, messy, they will rub **** on the walls, they will need you in the bathroom with them rubbing their back when sick and vomiting, they will destroy your furniture, they will require visits to ERs and urgent care clinics, they're expensive, stressful, expensive, completely needy for at least a decade, expensive, a source of embarrassment too many times to count, expensive... and then they become teens... braces, cars, phones, expensive clothes, expensive shoes, weekends lost to sports tournaments... and then, college.

All that said, they are 1000% worth it. The joy and love and legacy and personalities and everything they bring to your daily life as a parent, it's not even close.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Never planned to have kids but ended up with 4 lol. Cons: constant stress, no time for self; zero sex. Pros: you will never love anyone as much as you love your kids. Hard to explain until you have them. Also, it’s gets a lot easier as they get older.

Way easier when they get older. 2 of my favorite days as a dad - when my oldest dressed himself (I didn’t even care if nothing matched) and when he learned to wipe himself. Fantastic days.

Reactions: Peter

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I love my two sons and love that they gave us 4 fantastic grandkids Two who have already graduated from ISU, one who is a freshman this year and the forth will be there in 2023. So yes there we be trying times but IMHO they are worth having.

Reactions: Peter

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is not an easy answer.

As a newer pop I can say I wanted to throat punch anyone who downplayed how mother ******* difficult it is.

Your wife will be a different person. You will stop existing as you are. Your finances will be ****** up. (Checkout daycare prices just as a starting point)

Think long. Think hard beforehand. It's a financial, personal, physical reboot of your entire existence.

This is spot on. The thing about kids is, if you do it right, you come last in virtually everything for the next few decades.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Frankly, I think for a lot of people they aren't but it's impossible to know in your case.

I did some a summary of some research that showed that as a group, child-less couples were in general happier than couples with kids.

How do you even measure happiness? Isn’t that relative?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
100% YES. They are a lot of (good) work, expensive.... but the return you get back is immeasurable. You will love them like no other, and they will bring you a joy and love you never knew existed.

Reactions: Bobber and RezClone

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
My wife and I have not had kids to this point and other than occasional discussions I doubt we’ll ever have them. A lot of my friends with kids have told me that they love having kids but hate being a parent if that makes any sense.

In the end what it came down to for us was time. We both work long hours at fairly demanding jobs. My wife is a doctor and between med school and residency we never really got that post college adolescent period before kids which we are making up for now. Throwing a kid in would frankly ruin that, and I like being able to spontaneously go on a weekend trip or do whatever without having to set up child care.

Also a factor that may or may not be significant to some people: your wife’s boobs may or may not (but probably will) deflate after weening. So if you’re a boob man and don’t want that to happen don’t have kids.