Saturday's game is a must win for the Hawks not Clones!

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
And we've also lost 3 of the last 5.....

...and we won last year, what is your point? Chizik beat Iowa his first time out of the gate. He goes 2-0 on Saturday. How 'bout jumping on the bandwagon and coming on in for the big win.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
One of my favorite quotes – Marv Levy former Buffalo Bills Head Coach: “Must win. No football game is a must win. Now World War II – that was a must win.”

Reactions: CycloneErik

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Every game is important. But losing in "the ISU superbowl" does not end either team's season - see 2002 Iowa and 2004 ISU.

Iowa will just have to figure out how to win five games after Saturday if they want to go bowling :wink:

explorer

Apr 16, 2006
Marion, IA
The "superbowl" shoe seems to be on the other foot as written in today's CR Gazette. It explains that Ferentz is eyeballing this game and having their Iowa kids explain the importance to the out of state kids (which I know ISU is doing also) but Ferentz states that throughout fall camp, and prior to the start of the season, they had already established an ISU scout team and would intermix that with fall practices. The article even comments about how it seems to be Iowa's superbowl now. Kind of funny coming from a newspaper that swoons over the Hawks every move.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
First of all Gene Chizik has and never will lost nor will he lose a rivalry as an assistant or a head coach LOL.

Second, this is gonna be a huge spring board for whichever team wins this game Iowa or ISU. If Iowa loses their season isn't lost because from what I've seen the BIG 10 is again not that good and they will still have a good chance at bowl eligibility if they have any measure of talent and effectiveness against talent above high school level.

Third, our lack of a road game victory since 2005 should still be a consideration. I know we all want to believe (me included) that the road game losing is ending with Chizik, but that is still to be proven. We're going into a rivalry game on the road as double digit underdogs. If that line is accurate (I don't think it is) it would be huge for us to break our no road game win streak in those conditions.

I will agree however, that I feel like our fanbase isn't as huge about this game as we have been in years past. With a 2-0 start to the season, some success shown late last year against big 12 opponents and a new era of excitement in stadium/logo/coach/colors in general I've noticed less importance so far this non-conf season about the Hawk game. That could still change though now that the last 2 games are done.

Reactions: Go_State

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006
With all of our young players win and it's a big confidence boost, lose and it's an opportunity to learn to play well in a hostile environment. The opposite is true for the Hawks. Defending home turf is expected, losing would hurt.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
ISU by 7. :wink: Thats my Kool Aid moment, in all honestly I think this game is important for both teams for all the reasons above, and think Iowa is going to walk away with something along the lines of a 3 point win.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Just trying to keep things in perspective. We always harp on EIU fans when they bring up th 15 years in a row but its ok for us to cherry pick the last ten years when in reality, they have the momentum right now as much as it pains me to say.:sad:

How can they have the momentum when we won the game last year? :confused:

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I think the winner takes a huge, more than just one more win in the season step towards being a bowl team.

But I will agree, Iowa always has the most pressure on them in this game. The fans think they should win every time, so does the national media

and the local media.:wideeyed: Makes the wins the last 7 of 10 years that more enjoyable.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
There are people on all ends of this rivalry game. Some believe it's the most important game of the year, period. Others pretend to not want to win it in order to make a loss more acceptable in their minds. Both of these types of fans exist in both fan bases.

It's an important game, period. As noted, every game is important. If you're not playing each week like it's your most important game of the year (aka, giving your best effort)- just don't even suit up.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Yes, we have won 7 of the last 10 in the series in case you have forgotten.

And we've also lost 3 of the last 5.....

Just trying to keep things in perspective. We always harp on EIU fans when they bring up th 15 years in a row but its ok for us to cherry pick the last ten years when in reality, they have the momentum right now as much as it pains me to say.:sad:

...and we won last year, what is your point? Chizik beat Iowa his first time out of the gate. He goes 2-0 on Saturday. How 'bout jumping on the bandwagon and coming on in for the big win.

In my opinion, no one should look at the history of this series for a clue as to how this (or any other) game will turn out.

Yes, Iowa fans like to bring up the fact that they won all of those years in a row and lead the overall series by a lot, but a lot of them say it as though that should have some sort of impact on this game. That never ceases to amaze me. Good for you, Hawk fans, but news flash: This isn't 1987.

Likewise, I think it's a mistake to mention that ISU has won 7 of the last 10 as a reason to believe we'll win this one. I'm proud of the fact that we've won 7 of the last 10 and bring it up myself from time to time, but it doesn't make me any more or less confident about this year's game. (This isn't 2007, either.)

When it comes to determining who will win this year's game, I don't care who leads the series overall. I don't care who won umpteen times in a row in the 80s and 90s. I don't care who won 7 of the last 10. I don't care who won 3 of the last 5, and I don't care who won last year.

We play six different teams each and every year, and I can't recall seeing anybody cite the fact that we've won or lost X number of times to NU, KU, K-State, CU, or MU as a factor on whether we'll win those games every year, so why is it different against Iowa?

When it comes down to it, the question isn't who won past games. It's how do this year's teams stack up against each other?

scubapohl1

Jun 1, 2006
Panama City Beach, FL
In my opinion, no one should look at the history of this series for a clue as to how this (or any other) game will turn out.

Yes, Iowa fans like to bring up the fact that they won all of those years in a row and lead the overall series by a lot, but a lot of them say it as though that should have some sort of impact on this game. That never ceases to amaze me. Good for you, Hawk fans, but news flash: This isn't 1987.

Likewise, I think it's a mistake to mention that ISU has won 7 of the last 10 as a reason to believe we'll win this one. I'm proud of the fact that we've won 7 of the last 10 and bring it up myself from time to time, but it doesn't make me any more or less confident about this year's game. (This isn't 2007, either.)

When it comes to determining who will win this year's game, I don't care who leads the series overall. I don't care who won umpteen times in a row in the 80s and 90s. I don't care who won 7 of the last 10. I don't care who won 3 of the last 5, and I don't care who won last year.

We play six different teams each and every year, and I can't recall seeing anybody cite the fact that we've won or lost X number of times to NU, KU, K-State, CU, or MU as a factor on whether we'll win those games every year, so why is it different against Iowa?

When it comes down to it, the question isn't who won past games. It's how do this year's teams stack up against each other?

Spot on...

Getting back to the original thread, I agree it is a bigger game for Iowa than ISU if for nothing else, that it is a home game. As a rebuilding team, a loss on the road to another BCS conference team isn't the end of the world for us. For Iowa to get beat at home by a 4 win Big 12 team would be much worst.

Of course, they will still go on to contend for the Bit 10 crown and a Jan bowl like every other year!:biglaugh: