Saturday's game is a must win for the Hawks not Clones!

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
In my opinion, no one should look at the history of this series for a clue as to how this (or any other) game will turn out.

Yes, Iowa fans like to bring up the fact that they won all of those years in a row and lead the overall series by a lot, but a lot of them say it as though that should have some sort of impact on this game. That never ceases to amaze me. Good for you, Hawk fans, but news flash: This isn't 1987.

Likewise, I think it's a mistake to mention that ISU has won 7 of the last 10 as a reason to believe we'll win this one. I'm proud of the fact that we've won 7 of the last 10 and bring it up myself from time to time, but it doesn't make me any more or less confident about this year's game. (This isn't 2007, either.)

When it comes to determining who will win this year's game, I don't care who leads the series overall. I don't care who won umpteen times in a row in the 80s and 90s. I don't care who won 7 of the last 10. I don't care who won 3 of the last 5, and I don't care who won last year.

We play six different teams each and every year, and I can't recall seeing anybody cite the fact that we've won or lost X number of times to NU, KU, K-State, CU, or MU as a factor on whether we'll win those games every year, so why is it different against Iowa?

When it comes down to it, the question isn't who won past games. It's how do this year's teams stack up against each other?

Well part of that is that most of us don't live in Nebraska or Kansas or Colorado or Missouri. We care more about Iowa than any of those other teams because we are surrounded by Iowa all the time.

The past may not matter in terms of the outcome of this particular game, but it sure matters a lot to both fanbases.

I think it's also important for this team to know they can beat Iowa. They've beat them as underdogs at home, and they've beat them as underdogs on the road. So, while it's not ok to rest on your laurels, it's important to have confidence going in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron