SATURDAY PODCAST: Next year's hoops roster & Fred's future

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
That's among the biggest question marks, does this team have That Guy who gets it done from a scoring standpoint, aka "The Go-To." We'll have plenty of "shooters" and at least adequate play-making, but who can fill the "clutch" role?

We've been fortunate, someone has assumed that role to varying degrees in the past 6 seasons (Royce, Clyburn, Niang/Kane, Niang/Nader, Burton, Tsalmpouris*, et. al.).

Will Prohm find that player in 17-18?

* Just seeing if everyone is paying attention ;)

Yeah there's this dude who came off the bench last year shooting clutch on four or five occasions including the nail in the Kansas coffin. Donovon Jackson. Nice 3. Bye Bye Billy Self.

Reactions: carvers4math

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm probably considered a doom and gloomer, but even I think sub-.500 is unlikely. You gotta be pretty dang awful to get to sub .500 and Hilton still matters.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah there's this dude who came off the bench last year shooting clutch on four or five occasions including the nail in the Kansas coffin. Donovon Jackson. Nice 3. Bye Bye Billy Self.

I'm skeptical of Jackson being a go to guy - at his height I think you need really good handles to be a go to guy and I don't think he's a great ball handler.

I think our best shot this year is Wigginton.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm skeptical of Jackson being a go to guy - at his height I think you need really good handles to be a go to guy and I don't think he's a great ball handler.

I think our best shot this year is Wigginton.

Really? Jackson is weak with the ball sometimes when he picks up his dribble, but his handle is pretty tight. He's very quick with the ball.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The scoring is primarily going to come from DJ, Wigginton, NWB, and Young IMO.

I think we have a chance to be a better defensive team this year actually, so if we can find some scoring, I think we'll be ok. IMO, Wiggs will be the real deal. DJ will be good. Young will be like he finished last year.... good. What could push us over the top is if NWB is improved, Lewis is as good as advertised, and Lard ends up being a force as a rim protector, rebounder, and garbage guy.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
The scoring is primarily going to come from DJ, Wigginton, NWB, and Young IMO.

I think we have a chance to be a better defensive team this year actually, so if we can find some scoring, I think we'll be ok. IMO, Wiggs will be the real deal. DJ will be good. Young will be like he finished last year.... good. What could push us over the top is if NWB is improved, Lewis is as good as advertised, and Lard ends up being a force as a rim protector, rebounder, and garbage guy.

I can agree with 3 out of 4. DJ and LW both have scoring skills, and Young most likely through rebounding, but have seen no hint of NWB being able to score against a good defense.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Really? Jackson is weak with the ball sometimes when he picks up his dribble, but his handle is pretty tight. He's very quick with the ball.

The few times Monte was out Jackson was shaky with the ball. He's definitely quick, but it made me nervous when he was the primary ball handler.

• Agree

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
The few times Monte was out Jackson was shaky with the ball. He's definitely quick, but it made me nervous when he was the primary ball handler.
1, you are comparing him to Monte Morris. Just saying. 2, he was only filling in a few minutes here and there. Not warmed up and not getting enough practice at this level in games.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
1, you are comparing him to Monte Morris. Just saying. 2, he was only filling in a few minutes here and there. Not warmed up and not getting enough practice at this level in games.

I wasn't comparing him to Monte at all. Dude had his pocket picked trying to get it up the floor which shouldn't be too much to ask. Who ran point in practice against the starters?

• Agree

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I wasn't comparing him to Monte at all. Dude had his pocket picked trying to get it up the floor which shouldn't be too much to ask. Who ran point in practice against the starters?
Simply put, MM set a record for his A2T ratio. Hard act to follow. And I simply think DJ will respond better when he has to. When the pressure is on a bit.

• Optimistic

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I can agree with 3 out of 4. DJ and LW both have scoring skills, and Young most likely through rebounding, but have seen no hint of NWB being able to score against a good defense.

I can agree with that. I guess I meant more that the scoring will need to come from those 4. Whether it will or not is obviously up in the air, but I think it will need to for us to have much success.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We are going to scream bloody murder about TOs next year from Jackson and Wigginton even if they do, objectively, a good or an average job.

Monté was simply not human. GOAT. Literally.

He manufactured so many extra possessions and shots for us over the years simply by not turning it over, even if our shooting % was not higher than other teams.

Made up for the lack of rebounding with our high steal rate, too.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I can agree with that. I guess I meant more that the scoring will need to come from those 4. Whether it will or not is obviously up in the air, but I think it will need to for us to have much success.

We are going to have to wait and see, but I wonder if JB will have success scoring. Was by far the leading scorer and has experience shouldering the load, going against top defenders, and being double teamed. Only time will tell.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We are going to scream bloody murder about TOs next year from Jackson and Wigginton even if they do, objectively, a good or an average job.

He manufactured so many extra possessions and shots for us over the years simply by not turning it over, even if our shooting % was not higher than other teams.

True. But getting more rebounds, playing better defense, and shooting less threes also will help.

Reactions: woodm07

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015

Try leaving the "we" out of it. Thank you.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think it is good to temper expectations a bit. But it is sort of stupid because the people that are saying now that the team is going to suck and all of that are the same ones that are going to ***** when/if the team actually does suck next year. Also, preparing for a bad season doesn't do a lot of good. It just makes you miserable longer. Third, McDermott only had 2 losing seasons. It is seems to be quite pessimistic to predict a losing season. Forth, on the subject of Holberg, he had his choice of jobs, his choice of GM (and he knew exactly how that GM operated), and his choice of city. Sometimes people act like he was forced to take that job.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Simply put, MM set a record for his A2T ratio. Hard act to follow. And I simply think DJ will respond better when he has to. When the pressure is on a bit.

Maybe he'll improve, but I think his role is better suited off the ball.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron