SATURDAY PODCAST: Next year's hoops roster & Fred's future

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think it is good to temper expectations a bit. But it is sort of stupid because the people that are saying now that the team is going to suck and all of that are the same ones that are going to ***** when/if the team actually does suck next year. Also, preparing for a bad season doesn't do a lot of good. It just makes you miserable longer. Third, McDermott only had 2 losing seasons. It is seems to be quite pessimistic to predict a losing season. Forth, on the subject of Holberg, he had his choice of jobs, his choice of GM (and he knew exactly how that GM operated), and his choice of city. Sometimes people act like he was forced to take that job.

Greg McDermott had a losing season in all four of his seasons.

2006-07 (15-16)
2007-08 (14-18)
2008-09 (15-17)
2009-10 (15-17)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Greg McDermott had a losing season in all four of his seasons.

2006-07 (15-16)
2007-08 (14-18)
2008-09 (15-17)
2009-10 (15-17)

Good grief! Facts :) I thought he was 16-15 a couple of times. Sorry about that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Chris put Jared in a corner with his "will they make the NIT" questions.

Come on Jared, speak your mind. You don't have to be down on this team just because Chris was cranky on a Saturday morning.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
True. But getting more rebounds, playing better defense, and shooting less threes also will help.

Basketball is a game of two things really...

(1.) have more possessions
(2.) do more on a possession-by-possession basis

You can do #1 by...

(A.) not turning it over
(B.) forcing turnovers / generating steals
(C.) offensive rebounds
(D.) not giving up offensive rebounds

Last year's team was excellent at A and B and bad/mediocre at C and D.

I would hope that next year's team is at least slightly better at C and D, maybe a little better at B, which makes up for some of the regression that comes on A without Morris.

I hope that mostly evens out or slightly improves on "net possessions generated."

On a per possession basis, I doubt there is a way we can be as efficient as last year's team on offense. We simply just lost too much offensive talent and shooting between Morris, Mitrou-Long, Thomas, and Burton. Even if we maintain our same 2PT %, I just do not see a way we maintain our 3PT %, just from a scheme standpoint and even if Jackson is a proven sniper at the Big 12 level.

Thus, we have to push down the shooting percentages of opponents.

If we can somehow come up with that mixture...

-- worse on turnovers
-- slightly better on forcing turnovers
-- better on the offensive glass
-- better on the defensive glass
-- slightly worse on per play offensive efficiency
-- slightly better on per play defensive efficiency

...then we might have our formula to be successful again.

I suspect we are going to be better at drawing fouls and making free throws, too. An offense built around jump shooters like Naz and Matt and Morris, who was never the best at drawing contact, was never going to draw many fouls, so that is looking up, too. Beverly seemed good at it, too.

Try leaving the "we" out of it. Thank you.

Consider it the "royal we." :D

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
People freak out every single time the lineup has significant turnover. We have great young players in the pipeline.

Look no further than Iowa last year. Literally their only returning player of any kind of signifance was Peter Jok. Their next five leading scorers from last year were a former walkon in Baer and four freshman (Cook, Bohannon, Pemsl, Moss). Need I remind you they were a game or two away from making the tournament.

Other than Cook who was a highly regarded recruit and comparable to Wigginton..Wigginton, Lard, Lewis,and Jakolby Long are all statistically speaking better recruits than the rest of those Hawk freshman. Not to mention we just signed a grad transfer who averaged 15 ppg and possibly another grad transfer on the way.

Hilton Coliseum is good for a couple big upsets as well.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
People freak out every single time the lineup has significant turnover. We have great young players in the pipeline.

Look no further than Iowa last year. Literally their only returning player of any kind of signifance was Peter Jok. Their next five leading scorers from last year were a former walkon in Baer and four freshman (Cook, Bohannon, Pemsl, Moss). Need I remind you they were a game or two away from making the tournament.

Other than Cook who was a highly regarded recruit and comparable to Wigginton..Wigginton, Lard, Lewis,and Jakolby Long are all statistically speaking better recruits than the rest of those Hawk freshman. Not to mention we just signed a grad transfer who averaged 15 ppg and possibly another grad transfer on the way.

You make some good points. I feel like our schedule will be harder than Iowa's was last year.

• Agree
Reactions: JRE1975

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Get out of here with your common sense and rationality

Reactions: jcyclonee

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
(A.) not turning it over
(B.) forcing turnovers / generating steals
(C.) offensive rebounds
(D.) not giving up offensive rebounds

Also called defensive rebounding... ;)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Also called defensive rebounding... ;)

****, you just invented a new stat!

latest

Just sticking with terminology that focuses on possession generation. :p

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'm guessing we put 5 guys on the floor. Score points and give up points. We will win games and lose games. I'm sure we will have 3 guards maybe 4 out there at once. Maybe at times we will have 2 guards with 3 bigs. Who knows.

Will we have a post season tourney? Sure, if you count the Big 12 Tourney. Hell we may even have more than 1 post season tourney. who knows.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This podcast is a huge downer.... I think we over-achieve but a lot will do with young unproven talent and potential....

tobya8

Mar 21, 2014
CW said Kasongo won't get much playing time. I'm curious what info he has about that.
That's not what I've heard here in Ames. He's come along ways. People forget he's bigger than Young. He will be able to play the 5 and free up Young to play some 4 and this is why Young has been working on his 3 point shot. People need to relax you don't think these coaches work with these guys everyday on improving there games.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Chris put Jared in a corner with his "will they make the NIT" questions.

Come on Jared, speak your mind. You don't have to be down on this team just because Chris was cranky on a Saturday morning.

Okay, I'll speak my mind. I think the team will be an NIT team, but I think anyone thinking they're a tournament team right now is dreaming. I'm sure they'll pull off a couple upsets, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them drop games everybody thinks they shouldn't. The best possibility I see for this group is finishing in the range of seventh or eighth in the league. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm down on the roster. I look at the rest of the Big 12 and I don't see six teams Iowa State is better than. TCU made the NIT as the eighth-place team in the league last season. I see that being the ceiling for the team.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Okay, I'll speak my mind. I think the team will be an NIT team, but I think anyone thinking they're a tournament team right now is dreaming. I'm sure they'll pull off a couple upsets, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them drop games everybody thinks they shouldn't. The best possibility I see for this group is finishing in the range of seventh or eighth in the league. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm down on the roster. I look at the rest of the Big 12 and I don't see six teams Iowa State is better than. TCU made the NIT as the eighth-place team in the league last season. I see that being the ceiling for the team.

NIT is the ceiling for next year? That is just too boldly negative. Chris must have brainwashed you on Saturday morning. At least say that you will wait to see who is actually on the roster before you count us out of the NCAA.