SATURDAY PODCAST: Next year's hoops roster & Fred's future

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
NIT is the ceiling for next year? That is just too boldly negative. Chris must have brainwashed you on Saturday morning. At least say that you will wait to see who is actually on the roster before you count us out of the NCAA.

Okay, man. Iowa State is going to add an All-American graduate transfer in this month then go and win the national championship. If they don't do it, I'll quit my job out of disappointment because the season was a failure. Happy now?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Okay, I'll speak my mind. I think the team will be an NIT team, but I think anyone thinking they're a tournament team right now is dreaming. I'm sure they'll pull off a couple upsets, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them drop games everybody thinks they shouldn't. The best possibility I see for this group is finishing in the range of seventh or eighth in the league. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm down on the roster. I look at the rest of the Big 12 and I don't see six teams Iowa State is better than. TCU made the NIT as the eighth-place team in the league last season. I see that being the ceiling for the team.

Seems like a fair assessment...
I would say a NIT team is a fair and likely expectation though I would stop short of calling it's ceiling. TCU was after all in the tourney field for a the first half of the conference year and stumbled late. The fact the horned frogs won the NIT shows their ceiling was worthy of the tourney. The is talent on this ISU team and expecting a NCAA tourney birth at this point is over reaching, but I do think it is within the realm of possible outcomes. I'm holding off on predicting any finish until we get a chance to see this team play.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Okay, I'll speak my mind. I think the team will be an NIT team, but I think anyone thinking they're a tournament team right now is dreaming. I'm sure they'll pull off a couple upsets, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them drop games everybody thinks they shouldn't. The best possibility I see for this group is finishing in the range of seventh or eighth in the league. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm down on the roster. I look at the rest of the Big 12 and I don't see six teams Iowa State is better than. TCU made the NIT as the eighth-place team in the league last season. I see that being the ceiling for the team.

I respect your analysis, defending your viewpoint. Some of us think it's pessimistic, but ISU is not an automatic to reach NCAAT. Big 12 has only two *probable* absolutes: Kansas and West Virginia. B12 will get 2 others at minimum, possibly 4 additional.

ISU is fighting these teams: Baylor, OU, TCU, Texas, K-State.

Tech will finish 10th. Oklahoma State no higher than 8th.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
That's not what I've heard here in Ames. He's come along ways. People forget he's bigger than Young. He will be able to play the 5 and free up Young to play some 4 and this is why Young has been working on his 3 point shot. People need to relax you don't think these coaches work with these guys everyday on improving there games.
I don't think people forget his size. And chris is pretty dialed in to the basketball team so I trust what he says about Kasongo.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Seems like a fair assessment...
I would say a NIT team is a fair and likely expectation though I would stop short of calling it's ceiling. TCU was after all in the tourney field for a the first half of the conference year and stumbled late. The fact the horned frogs won the NIT shows their ceiling was worthy of the tourney. The is talent on this ISU team and expecting a NCAA tourney birth at this point is over reaching, but I do think it is within the realm of possible outcomes. I'm holding off on predicting any finish until we get a chance to see this team play.
Are we as talented as that TCU team?
Not imo, but if we are, we'll have a decent chance to make it. TCU had the talent to make the tournament, but couldn't win close games. With a better homecourt like Hilton that likely changes.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't think people forget his size. And chris is pretty dialed in to the basketball team so I trust what he says about Kasongo.
Plus, the comment about "this is why Young has been working on his 3P shot" is distortion to fit what clearly is a fabricated narrative. Young's been working on his 3P shot and has been rumored to be relatively good at it long before this offseason.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Usually, the Cap City League is the only way to see some of the players who probably won't contribute for a few years. This summer, we need the Cap City League just to be able to watch a good portion of our rotation for the first time.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I really wish that the talking heads would get away from everything being "unknowns" and change that narrative to "haven't had a chance to prove it yet.

It's kind of sad that they are treating a 5 star like Wigginton as some kind of huge unknown.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I find it odd that people (CW among) thinksTexas is automatically going to be better next year when it looks like they will lose their best two players to the draft. Plus Mack isn't returning and they lost two seniors who were big contributors for them last year in Cleare and Yancy. They have a good recruiting class but not better than last years. I think if Jones stays in the draft they will be in a similar spot as last year. Maybe worse.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Also not buying that OU will automatically be that much better. I think the only for sure things in the Big 12 next year is that KU, WVU and Baylor will be tournament teams. TCU will likely be and the rest of the teams are unknown at this point.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
What's really weird is that before the above poster just brought up Race, I had totally forgotten about him. Ended up at Indiana, right? Did we ever hear from the 'family friend' poster on here as to why he dropped ISU so fast only to fall in love with the new Indiana staff? Maybe he always wanted to go to IU and didn't care for Crean.