Rumor: ND in talks to join as Full member of ACC

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Indeed.

My private fantasy is everybody sits down, thinks about what they've done, and reorganizes the sport into geographically and historically sensible conferences.

Roughly 80-100 teams make the cut.

That would be nice. What I am afraid would happen if everybody sat down is that in the face of dwindling revenues, the TV people tell the schools they need a significantly more big matchup each week to keep the payouts up, and about 40 of the bigger-name schools break away from the NCAA to form a premier league, and take most of the money with them...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That would be nice. What I am afraid would happen if everybody sat down is that in the face of dwindling revenues, the TV people tell the schools they need a significantly more big matchup each week to keep the payouts up, and about 40 of the bigger-name schools break away from the NCAA to form a premier league, and take most of the money with them...

I would hope they realize that geographic diffusion, where TV deals said to spread yourself as thin and far away as possible -- rather than forming "islands chains" were live attendance is the true emphasis was much the problem in the first place.

Putting Ohio State and Alabama in the same conference will not help with that.

8 geographical conferences of 10 teams (a full round-robin) for an 8 team playoff (or maybe 12 with some wild cards) would be absolutely gorgeous

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I would hope they realize that geographic diffusion, where TV deals said to spread yourself as thin and far away as possible -- rather than forming "islands chains" were live attendance is the true emphasis was much the problem in the first place.

Putting Ohio State and Alabama in the same conference will not help with that.

8 geographical conferences of 10 teams (a full round-robin) for an 8 team playoff (or maybe 12 with some wild cards) would be absolutely gorgeous

Would Ohio State and Alabama want to be in the same conference? Do these schools want to sacrifice their path to the national championship for more money on top of what they're already getting?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Would Ohio State and Alabama want to be in the same conference? Do these schools want to sacrifice their path to the national championship for more money on top of what they're already getting?

Another good point.

Some traditional powers are going to have to get used to going 4-8 if they all the sudden cannot hide in a small pond and pretend to be a big fish.

Ohio State and Michigan can keep playing one real game against each other most years and spend the rest of the time clobbering Midwestern schools.

I just felt around 80 was about right. All the current P5 schools, Notre Dame and BYU, and pick up the best few teams out of the American and MWC and boom.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Indeed.

My private fantasy is everybody sits down, thinks about what they've done, and reorganizes the sport into geographically and historically sensible conferences.

I agree with this. Not a fan of all this expansion. Bad for the NCAA in the long run. Such a short term myopic approach to things imo.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If dominoes do start to fall, and everyone starts scrambling, then I'd like to see the Big 12 and Pac12 combine to form one big conference.

Having said that, that is NOT what I wish to happen. I hate all this expansion. I loved the days of the Big 8, the Big 10 with only 10 teams, etc, etc.

But if everything goes to hell, then I'd like to see a Big 12 Pac 12 merger.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

The thing is that you can't have just the Saturday night showcase games to survive. You have to fill time slots to justify the money that is being charged to consumers. If you drop half the power teams around the country, you'll lose too many fans to make up with the increased ratings of just the premiere games alone.

And when the money dries up, what'll be more important than ever is travel budgets. You can bring coaches salaries back down to reasonable levels and cut back on construction projects (assuming you haven't already mortgaged your future). But you can't start dropping sports without getting sued for title IX compliance. It's a lot cheaper to send the swimming team from Texas to Oklahoma than it is to send them to California. Regional conferences will come back in favor. But there will be a lot of dominoes to fall between now and then.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The thing is that you can't have just the Saturday night showcase games to survive. You have to fill time slots to justify the money that is being charged to consumers. If you drop half the power teams around the country, you'll lose too many fans to make up with the increased ratings of just the premiere games alone.

And when the money dries up, what'll be more important than ever is travel budgets. You can bring coaches salaries back down to reasonable levels and cut back on construction projects (assuming you haven't already mortgaged your future). But you can't start dropping sports without getting sued for title IX compliance. It's a lot cheaper to send the swimming team from Texas to Oklahoma than it is to send them to California. Regional conferences will come back in favor. But there will be a lot of dominoes to fall between now and then.

Think of the students themselves, too.

It must suck to be on like WVU's tennis team, flying to the Midwest and Southwest constantly, instead of busing to nearby places such as...

Pittsburgh
State College
College Park
Huntington
Columbus
Cincinnati
Blacksburg
Charlottesville
Annapolis

...and the like. So many potential tickets never sold to road fans, too.

I love WVU being in the Big 12 -- I can drive to a basketball and football game from DC. My fortune is the misfortune of our core fan base in central Iowa, though.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Christ, so tired of this hanging out there year after year. However it plays out, just get it done and over with.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Indeed.

My first thought is "I totally agree and have thought the same."

Second thought is "Aww, aren't you cute."

Reactions: TykeClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron