Rumor: ND in talks to join as Full member of ACC

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There are idiots in twitter claiming OU and Texas to the Big 10..lol

Not just Twitter - Detroit sports talk radio. Mike Valenti is still convinced it's just a matter of time before Texas is in the Big 10 - never mind the fact they'd have to forego the guaranteed payout of LHN, sacrifice whatever TV revenue they earn in the Big 10 for the reaminder of the GOR, and be required to play games - sometimes night games - in northern latitudes in November. Something they have always refused to do.

Aug 26, 2014
Not just Twitter - Detroit sports talk radio. Mike Valenti is still convinced it's just a matter of time before Texas is in the Big 10 - never mind the fact they'd have to forego the guaranteed payout of LHN, sacrifice whatever TV revenue they earn in the Big 10 for the reaminder of the GOR, and be required to play games - sometimes night games - in northern latitudes in November. Something they have always refused to do.
The whole thing is ludicrous

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
No way Texas gives up the LHN to join the ACC. Texas is just starting to see its escalated payouts kick in. They are guaranteed around $20m by 2032 and will be making around $15M in the near term, which is nearly double the $8M revenue the ACC Network will pay.

The only way Texas jumps when the Big12 contract is up in 2025 is if ESPN agrees to a significant lump sum buyout e.g. $100M

IMO all his talk is the annual talk to drive ratings and clicks.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
No way Texas gives up the LHN to join the ACC. Texas is just starting to see its escalated payouts kick in. They are guaranteed around $20m by 2032 and will be making around $15M in the near term, which is nearly double the $8M revenue the ACC Network will pay.

The only way Texas jumps when the Big12 contract is up in 2025 is if ESPN agrees to a significant lump sum buyout e.g. $100M

IMO all his talk is the annual talk to drive ratings and clicks.

Wouldn't Norte Dame be giving up a lot with NBC by joining full time as well? I can see Texas joining as an affiliate just like the Irish. Does Notre Dame currently take a smaller cut because of their quasi independence?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wouldn't Norte Dame be giving up a lot with NBC by joining full time as well? I can see Texas joining as an affiliate just like the Irish. Does Notre Dame currently take a smaller cut because of their quasi independence?

ND is reportedly getting $15M/year from NBC through 2025, or just over $2M per broadcast.

• Informative

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Yes neither side is going to walk away from that TV contract.

• Agree

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I always just SMH when I think of Texas in the Big 10. It's even more insane than Mizzou in the SEC. (Mizzou only has 1 game farther than 1000 miles. Florida).
Meanwhile, Texas' closest Big 10 opponent (not counting OU if they tagged along. BTW, OU is not a member of the AAU so I could see some Presidents not liking the idea of adding another non-AAU University to the conference. It sounds like if Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU before joining, they never would have gotten the invite) would be Nebraska at 800 miles. The next closest is Illinois at 1,027 and Iowa at 1,043. Ames is 965 miles to Austin.
Look at it this way, if Texas were to join the Big 10, their closest conference opponent would nearly be the same distance as their current farthest opponent in the Big 12.
Geographically speaking, Iowa St in the SEC makes more sense than Texas in the Big 10.
I wonder how excited their players and recruits are going to be when they hear they no longer will be playing 8-9 of their games in the warm, sunny states of Texas and Oklahoma. Now, they get to travel to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc in the late Fall.

Sooner or later the AD's and Presidents are going to look at each other and think WTF is happening? Our Volleyball team is flying 1300 miles on Tuesday to play a 1 hour volleyball match and then this weekend they have to fly 1100 miles for another 1 hour volleyball match.
The bubble is going to burst and I think it's going to happen sooner than some realize.
It won't happen but they just need to start over from scratch and make 7-8, 10 team conferences based purely on geography and history. The stadiums will fill back up and a lot of great rivalries will ignite/rebirth.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Just a reminder that PAC12 won't take religious institutions so BU and TCU would be outta luck. Also, they care about academics as well so TTU, OSU and K-State could have issues as well. ISU and KU may be only ones going but it's not happening.

A full merger wouldn't be needed. The Big 12 and PAC can have a tv station "merger" and also an agreement of either a yearly Big 12 - PAC 12 challenge or out of conference scheduling. The groups can keep their own conferences, yet can leverage each other to have a deal covering half of the country.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I always just SMH when I think of Texas in the Big 10. It's even more insane than Mizzou in the SEC. (Mizzou only has 1 game farther than 1000 miles. Florida).
Meanwhile, Texas' closest Big 10 opponent (not counting OU if they tagged along. BTW, OU is not a member of the AAU so I could see some Presidents not liking the idea of adding another non-AAU University to the conference. It sounds like if Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU before joining, they never would have gotten the invite) would be Nebraska at 800 miles. The next closest is Illinois at 1,027 and Iowa at 1,043. Ames is 965 miles to Austin.
Look at it this way, if Texas were to join the Big 10, their closest conference opponent would nearly be the same distance as their current farthest opponent in the Big 12.
Geographically speaking, Iowa St in the SEC makes more sense than Texas in the Big 10.
I wonder how excited their players and recruits are going to be when they hear they no longer will be playing 8-9 of their games in the warm, sunny states of Texas and Oklahoma. Now, they get to travel to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc in the late Fall.

Sooner or later the AD's and Presidents are going to look at each other and think WTF is happening? Our Volleyball team is flying 1300 miles on Tuesday to play a 1 hour volleyball match and then this weekend they have to fly 1100 miles for another 1 hour volleyball match.
The bubble is going to burst and I think it's going to happen sooner than some realize.
It won't happen but they just need to start over from scratch and make 7-8, 10 team conferences based purely on geography and history. The stadiums will fill back up and a lot of great rivalries will ignite/rebirth.
Many things to agree with in this post...but until the money stops the travel (and sprawling conferences) will continue. 2024/2025 are really a potential break points with football and TV contracts...

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Many things to agree with in this post...but until the money stops the travel (and sprawling conferences) will continue. 2024/2025 are really a potential break points with football and TV contracts...
Yep, which is why I think the TV $ bubble bursts around that time frame. If the current cord cutting trend keeps up, ESPN won't be able to afford to pay out their tv contracts.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Homer conference for ISU...

Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Minnesota
Missouri
Northwestern
Nebraska
Wisconsin

= road trips every other weekend. :)

A moderate income true sports fan could spend a lot of disposable income in that conference, lots of driveability in that schedule. That actually would be a pretty fun conference in FB,BB,VB.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Sooner or later the AD's and Presidents are going to look at each other and think WTF is happening?

bRmGPtZ.gif

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Regardless of what happens with the ACC, I still think the entire landscape of college athletics will be very different 8-10 years from now. With all the cord cutting going on, ESPN declining at a rapid pace, and the increase of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Sling etc I think the whole what "TV Market" do you bring will be nearly obsolete. I see it transitioning from TV market size to actual fan base size.

Just my 2 cents.
Your opinion is worth at least a dime cause it's right on. Then a massive 'marketing' campaign will emerge trying to get the non-collegiates all across the globe to embrace our Cyclones.

It, certainly, is going to tax the 'rural' schools. We will see.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Your opinion is worth at least a dime cause it's right on. Then a massive 'marketing' campaign will emerge trying to get the non-collegiates all across the globe to embrace our Cyclones.

It, certainly, is going to tax the 'rural' schools. We will see.

Not just fan base size, too -- but fan base quality.

Fan bases who actually have fans who go to games, no matter the conditions, location, and costs, and will pay for a la carte subscription services to watch their teams from everywhere, are going to do much better in such a world. Being a tiny fish in a big pond, like Rutgers in NYC, was advantageous then. Being a shark in a small pond -- Iowa State -- in rural areas or medium-sized metropolitan areas like Ames and Des Moines will be more the point.

Ohio State certainly has a bigger fan base than Iowa State, but our fan base is super dedicated. Person-to-person, we are going to punch above our number simply because we will attend and pay up for streaming services. And no, we are not going to equal Ohio State, but the gap is not going to be as yawning because of the dedication of our fanbase. I imagine this will bet he case for most of the lower-tier P5 schools who do not offer much passive TV money.

It will make college sports more of an "active" product again, like it used to be. Big, rural, isolated schools -- Penn St., TAMU -- will kill it under such a setup, though.

You will actually have to draw eyeballs and credit cards yourself, not just proximity to them, like a Maryland does even if DC is all Caps, Nats, 'Skins, and the Wiz.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I disagree .... kind of. I think the networks will 'build' rivalries to create a broader coverage.

TV gives a few nods with Rivalry Weeks, but TV is far too focused on the playoffs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron