***Rumor K-State & Snyder

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There was no Wednesday meeting according to the A.D. Now he could be lying, but I seriously doubt that's the case. Coaches are all out recruiting. Bill's car is at the Bill. So, I don't know what to think. Such drama over a game for boys. My, my ...

Bill just forgot where he parked his car and took a taxi. Was going to say Uber, but doubting he understands the that.

• Funny
Reactions: intrepid27

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
There was no Wednesday meeting according to the A.D. Now he could be lying, but I seriously doubt that's the case. Coaches are all out recruiting. Bill's car is at the Bill. So, I don't know what to think. Such drama over a game for boys. My, my ...

surly why wasnt Bill available Wednesday if he was there?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
surly why wasnt Bill available Wednesday if he was there?
He apparantly wasn't ready to make a final decison. The AD said previously that Snyder would have lots a leeway going through this process. I have an inkling that he wants to see how recruiting is going. Last time he left, I always felt was because he lost 5* legacy recruit Chase Coffman to Missouri. But I really don't know what's on his mind presently. If me, I'd have been long gone like Bobby Stoops.

Reactions: cycloneML

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Despite everyone else jerking off to Snyder and his apparently unmatched coaching career, what I think many used to admire him for is dissolving away as he ages. For probably half of his supports, the admiration was how graceful he has been, I have admired that as well.

Well, the times - and seemingly his personality - have changed. Personally, I think he has shown to be incredibly selfish and blind the past 3-4 years to how much he’s limited KState by not allowing them to move on. Instead, they’re experiencing a slow but consistent decent because even his trademark JUCO players know he’s past his time and there isn’t an enticement to go there.

Yes, he built them into a respectable top half of league school (no longer), but let’s not pretend he made them into Alabama or a national power, even way back.

Now, it’s not a secret he’s been asked to retire for at least 3 years and has refused without a guarantee his son will be his replacement. Well, that’s not gonna happen and his refusal to bow out in grace - and they aren’t firing him for many reasons - has put them in a ****** spot.

Personally, I hope he sticks around another few years based on the trajectory they’re heading. He should always be remembered for doing a good job building that program and for being a classy guy, but he will eventually ruin that memory for many by overstaying his time for what could easily be seen as selfish reasons.

I can't think of a single coach that has retired on top of his game. Bobby Bowden, Hayden Fry, Mack Brown, Joe Paterno, Steve Spurrier. I guess Tom Osborne kinda went out on top. Maybe Bob Stoops, but that was very surprising for all involved.

It seems in most professions, for most people, they hang on too long. Farmers, bankers, accountants, Pastors, etc.

steveocy

Jun 19, 2006
I can't think of a single coach that has retired on top of his game. Bobby Bowden, Hayden Fry, Mack Brown, Joe Paterno, Steve Spurrier. I guess Tom Osborne kinda went out on top. Maybe Bob Stoops, but that was very surprising for all involved.

Off the top of my head I would say Bo Schembechler and Bear Bryant went out on top. I was thinking Alvarez at Wisconsin might be one, but looking at his record he kind of did the captain kirk thing. Turn around a program, have a few 10 win seasons with average results more often than not.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

It seems in most professions, for most people, they hang on too long. Farmers, bankers, accountants, Pastors, etc.

Yeah, short list for all professions. Tony La Russa, maybe. It seemed like he could have kept on managing at a high level had he wanted to. I think Bill Walsh retired after winning a championship and he wasn't that old at the time. **** Vermeil nearly got it right by retiring after winning a Super Bowl with the Rams but then he came back to coach the Chiefs for a few years. I can't think of a single college football coach off the top of my head. I guess if Urban Meyer somehow weasels his way into the CFP this year, wins it, and then walks away he'd have a compelling case.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I've said same, in this thread maybe even, but certainly in others. Kapt Kirk is probably in the same boat. Notable exception to this rule : Johnny Orr.

I think BS wants to arrange Sean to take over as a precondition of retiring, and the AD is on the fence about what to do, so he isn't motivated enough to fire him. So, status quo seems like the most likely result.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Yea, Osborne beat Peyton Manning and Tennessee for a national championship and then stepped down. He could have stayed another decade.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Bobby Knight could have coached for years more, successfully. He consistently won 20 plus. Bear Bryant wasn't on top of his game at the end finishing 3-3 in SEC play. It was sad. He died a month after retiring.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Website creators...

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It’s the zero talent thing that’s worrying everybody. That part isn’t likely to change the longer this gets dragged out.

Stop with the "zero talent" narrative, the fact is they were one competent quarterback away from easily making a bowl game and finishing 7-4 or 8-4. They took Iowa State to the wire and if you were at the game you could see there wasnt much of a talent disparity with the exception of Butler over their receivers.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Stop with the "zero talent" narrative, the fact is they were one competent quarterback away from easily making a bowl game and finishing 7-4 or 8-4. They took Iowa State to the wire and if you were at the game you could see there wasnt much of a talent disparity with the exception of Butler over their receivers.

Hey hawk, work on your reading comprehension.

• Winner
Reactions: Brandon

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've said same, in this thread maybe even, but certainly in others. Kapt Kirk is probably in the same boat. Notable exception to this rule : Johnny Orr.

I think BS wants to arrange Sean to take over as a precondition of retiring, and the AD is on the fence about what to do, so he isn't motivated enough to fire him. So, status quo seems like the most likely result.
Johnny retired in name only. He was forced out because Gene thought he could get a better coach to replace Johnny when ISU was bringing back a great senior class rather than the next year when that class was gone leaving the cupboard relatively bare.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Johnny retired in name only. He was forced out because Gene thought he could get a better coach to replace Johnny when ISU was bringing back a great senior class rather than the next year when that class was gone leaving the cupboard relatively bare.

I disagree. It is no secret that AD G. Smith wanted Johnny out but he was powerless to remove him because the fanbase would have rioted. Johnny voluntarily left at an odd time of the year in hopes of getting Jim H. as his replacement. It would have worked if the Roland Rocket hadn't gone after Tim Floyd. The rest is history.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
From our EMAW friends:

Attachments

• D0DC38CD-199E-411B-98D7-BFEA8190C6E7.png
    D0DC38CD-199E-411B-98D7-BFEA8190C6E7.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm