Robin Williams commits suicide

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Pfft! First, being a great actor doesn't automatically make one an enlightened individual, even though they all seem to think so. Second, there are plenty of great people who have a very positive outlook on life and don't suffer from depression and drug problems.

You should maybe respond to cmjh10 instead of me. I've already made up my mind.

Last edited:

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
No Robin Williams movies on tonight but watching his good buddy Billy Crystal in City Slickers. My hope that Billy and his other contemporary friends do a redux of Comedy Relief in his honor for depression research and treatment. Lost a truly great funny actor today. Sadly I had hoped after hearing the news that this was a Hunter S Thompson type of deal.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Super sad. So one of my top three actors ever (I own everything he was in) dies on my birthday. I personally really liked Toys for as much as everyone else didn't like it. I won't be replacing him in my top three.

Other two on the list are Val Kilmer and Donald Sutherland, color me weird I guess. My movie collection has everything from each of these men and not being able to continue to build on one of them saddens me deeply.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
So is his last film going to end up being the final Night at the Museum movie? That just seems wrong.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
It was so weird, because I follow a "conspiracy and truth" account on twitter and they posted a meme of his speech about life's passions in Dead Poets Society about 45 minutes before major news reported his death.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I don't normally give much thought to celebrity deaths, but this one hurt. Absolutely love Robin Williams. One of the best.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
[video=youtube;0wjpRQ__lsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wjpRQ__lsI&list=PL98ZXfVExbcPEHM45F5UaYwDhVXPy6xUo[/video]

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
So is his last film going to end up being the final Night at the Museum movie? That just seems wrong.
According to IMDB, that is correct.

Edit: Actually his last role was being the voice of Dennis the Dog in Absolutely Anything.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
[video=youtube;0wjpRQ__lsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wjpRQ__lsI&list=PL98ZXfVExbcPEHM45F5UaYwDhVXPy6xUo[/video]

His persona was never my favorite thing, but he was unquestionably iconic and unique. At times I preferred movies when he had 'serious' role, although that may have been because it seemed like a little relief from his chaotic side.

Weirdest thing, though, I stumbled upon "Dead Poets Society" on Flix on Sunday night, a movie I saw only once on video, not long after release. It was never among my favorite films, although it had high points. I watched, then (admittedly) dozed partway through.

The last scene while I was awake was the "carpe diem" scene.

"Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils."

I think Williams took advantage of his capability.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
[video=youtube;h3gc1J9AXgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gc1J9AXgU[/video]

He lost his happy thought :(

There goes part of my childhood. RIP Robin Williams.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I thought this was touching, a tweet from his daughter:

Buz3aJ-CMAAb8TL.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I didn't like his comedy, which reminds me of Jim Carrey, but I did like a couple of his serious roles.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
First Phillip Seymore Hoffman, now Robin? Rough year for actors I like.

Am listening to Good Will Hunting today at work in honor of Robin!

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
If you haven't seen it, you have to watch "World's Greatest Dad" I honestly think it's some of the best acting he ever did.

This is crummy news. I'm usually not too broken up over celebrity deaths. This one is a whammy though, he really had a great career. Was one of the worlds truly great talents.

I second this recommendation. If you can find it somwhere it's definitely worth a watch.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Rarely when a celebrity dies do I really have any sort of emotional response to it. But I'm finding this a bit harder to swallow and really depressing. Really, really sad listening to some of the tributes on XM this morning. His career work, his charitable work and the fact he really didn't shy away from his problems. Seemed to be a very honest and open person.

To this day, probably the funniest thing I ever saw was Robin Williams live at the Met back in the 80's. Really regret never being able to see him in person.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron