RIP Meat Loaf

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'd argue today is more like if the Beatles and Stones and Stevie Wonder never cracked the charts or topped out at #20. You picked one week and ignored that 3 of the acts you selected (Beatles/Stones/Stevie Wonder) are some of the highest charting in history on the pop charts.

Beatles/Stones/Stevie Wonder you mentioned had 36 #1s on US pop charts ignoring the countless dozens (100+) of other top 40 hits. Not rock or R&B charts, top 40 charts.

Sly & Family Stone and Zeppelin are good examples though where they didn't chart well on pop charts but obviously objectively great music.

There have always been bad #1s and bad top 10s, but I'd argue with each passing decade good music is less likely to find the pop charts. It started in the 70s with progressive album rock and continued into the 80s with a lot of great punk/new wave rock being more underground. I don't follow a ton of new music but my best friend is a musician in LA and my wife is into it, I like a lot of the new stuff they put on (and a lot of it is by artists in their 20s), I don't like hardly anything on pop radio.

I didn't pick a bad week.

"Sugar Sugar" was the end-of-year #1.

"Sugar Sugar" was the weekly #1 from September 20 through October 11.

So yes, *that was the most popular song of 1969.*

That was a year with albums like, oh...

Abbey Road
Let It Bleed
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
In the Court of the Crimson King
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
Stand!
Space Oddity
Tommy
The Band ("The Brown Album")
Willy and the Poor Boys
Green River
Bayou Country
The Velvet Underground
The Chicago Transit Authority
Then Play On
Blind Faith
Crosby, Stills, and Nash
The Soft Parade

I could go on. Nothing off any of those, though. Nope.

"Sugar Sugar"

My wife has awful taste in music. I'm not even sure she knows who the Rolling Stones are. But when I told her about this little anecdote one time, she sure as **** knew the tune of "Sugar Sugar."

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Macloney

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I didn't pick a bad week.

"Sugar Sugar" was the end-of-year #1.

"Sugar Sugar" was the weekly #1 from September 20 through October 11.

So yes, *that was the most popular song of 1969.*

That was a year with albums like, oh...

Abbey Road
Let It Bleed
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
In the Court of the Crimson King
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
Stand!
Space Oddity
Tommy
The Band "The Brown Album"
Willy and the Poor Boys
Green River
Bayou Country
The Velvet Underground
The Chicago Transit Authority
Then Play On
Blind Faith
Crosby, Stills, and Nash
The Soft Parade

I could go on. Nothing off any of those, though. Nope.

"Sugar Sugar"

My wife has awful taste in music. I'm not even sure she knows who the Rolling Stones are. But when I told her about this little anecdote one time, she sure as **** knew the tune of "Sugar Sugar."

Beatles, Stones and Stevie Wonder are 3 of the highest charting acts of all time.

They charted on the pop charts...like few other acts ever have.

I think most of the best music today doesn't crack the top 20.

I agree bad music has always charted high, good music used to chart high more often than it does now.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I was born in 1960 and have been listening to music my entire life. Music is as good now as it has ever been.

Agreed, had a lull in my 20s but started hearing/finding/enjoying new hard rock with the rise of YouTube, Sirius XM, Octane, Spotify, iHeart, etc.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That time Meatloaf went bonkers on Gary Busey on the Celebrity Apprentice. Blows his top at Gary over some paints he can't find then John Rich calmly handles the situation and found his bag elsewhere in the room, LOL.

John actually just interviewed him recently too about his music career

• Haha
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That time Meatloaf went bonkers on Gary Busey on the Celebrity Apprentice. Blows his top at Gary over some paints he can't find then John Rich calmly handles the situation and found his bag elsewhere in the room, LOL.

John actually just interviewed him recently too about his music career

that is hilarious, it was already funny before they found the shopping bag, then I lost it, then fighting back tears of laughter at the shot of him creating art dropping the basketball

Reactions: CYdTracked

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I prefer meat loaf using frosted flakes instead of breadcrumbs.
My mom always did the Quaker Oatmeal recipe. My wife have been using ground up english muffins as the bread crumbs. It's pretty tasty.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Well that sucks. I actually met him in Chicago about 8-9 years ago at an Anthrax show. He seemed nice enough. At the time I had no idea Scott Ian (Anthrax guitarist) was his son in law.

Reactions: NWICY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
that is hilarious, it was already funny before they found the shopping bag, then I lost it, then fighting back tears of laughter at the shot of him creating art dropping the basketball

LOL, yeah that whole season was just nuts between him and Gary really. I think that may have been the only confrontation the 2 had but Meatloaf I think had a couple other outbursts and Gary was just weird the whole time. But yeah whatever "art" Meatloaf was trying to make for their task was very odd.

• Haha
Reactions: HFCS