RIP Meat Loaf

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Old people are ******* dying? UGGGGHHHH 2022 JUST STOP ALREADY.

I hate generic repetitive comedy.

Is there a template for this kind of thing? Why does everyone have to say it?

Betty White was almost 100 WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO US <insert year>!!!!

I can’t believe a guy named Meatloaf would be dead at age 74! You’re off to a real hot start <insert year>.

like did no one famous die in 2021? Has anyone done the stats on celebrity deaths so far in 2022? Are we on some kind of record pace?
Poor taste joke alert (I heard this one last week):
"You know the difference between Betty White and Paul Walker?"
Paul Walker hit a hundred before he died

Going to hell for that one.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Maybe the first 2, 80s music is ******* terrible
Without a doubt the music in the 60's and 70's was great, the music in the first half of the 80's was good to great, but the latter half along with much of the disco music made it unbearable.

• Dumb
Reactions: cyclones7

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I watched Rocky Horror Picture Show and still have no idea what that movie was about other than thinking: Did they just kill Meatloaf???
My mom was pretty strict with movies when I was growing up. (she relaxed a lot more for my other siblings) One time she and my dad were going away for the weekend. My youngest siblings were staying with my grandparents, but my brother and I (Me around 11-12. Him around 10-11) successfully lobbied to be able to stay home by ourselves. We were super pumped, and before they left, my folks gave us some money to go up to the town grocery store to get some food and rent some movies. But we were under express instructions not to rent any inappropriate stuff. Of course we ignored that.

Standing in front of the movie rack, at the store, the possibilities were endless. I already had "Die Hard" tucked under my arm because it's friggin Die Hard. So we were looking for a second film. We decided to go with a scary one. I didn't really know what I was looking for, so I decided to pick on based on what was on the cover. Something called "Pet Sematary" looked kind of cool. Or there was always one of the "Friday the 13th" movies that I'd heard kids talk about in school. And then I spotted it. The cover was all black, ominous, no fanfare. That was a good start. With a pair of devlishly red lips pouting sensuously, promising that there would be some sex to go along with the scares. Very appealing to a burgeoning young pre-teen. And the cherry on top? It had the word "Horror" in the title. It was a can't miss. So, I snagged it.

Fast forward a few hours, and my brother and I had just finished Die Hard. It was everything we could have hoped it would be. Truly a life changer of a move. Charged with machismo from Bruce Willis' cocksure demeanor, we were ready to tackle the next movie.

I popped in the video cassette and hit play. Anticipation built throughout the FBI warning screen. Finally, the show began, and those evil, sexy, ruby red lips from the video cover appeared on the screen. I looked at my brother and smiled. "Here we go!" I said.

...and then, the singing started

...oh it was horror, alright.

awkward? yes

confusing? mm-hmm

Meatloaf-filled? oh god yeah.

I'm not sure there was any other movie we could have rented that could have scared us more.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Yes. I love the 70's and 90's for music. Don't know what happened in the 80's, but it wasn't good.
4c2.jpg

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach
You'll never drill for oil on a city street
I know you're looking for a ruby
In a mountain of rocks
But there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding
At the bottom of a Cracker Jack box

Reactions: BigBake

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'll always remember him for the epicly cheesy video that went along with the power ballad I'd Do Anything For Love. I was in my early teens and hooked on MTV when that came out and they played that video constantly. Of course as a teenager I enjoyed the smoking hot actress in the video as well.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Meat Loaf's music really seems to lend itself to nostalgia.

I say this because it is pretty unique stuff for the era and it was flipping everywhere. I put on Bat Out of Hell this morning and I'm not sure any other music can bring you more firmly and quickly back to that time

Bat almost has a smell to it. A personality. It's awful and great and weird and catchy and hokey and theatrical and rocking.....but it definitely weaves itself into a personal soundtrack of life.

Reactions: Clonefan94

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This thread is really bringing out the "Get of my lawn!" in people.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Bat Out of He'll is still one of my favorites. RIP. Loved him as Red in Black Dog! Terrible movie, but one of my guilty pleasures.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
There’s good music now but bad music dominates the charts more so than late 60s to 90s.

Pick a random week of Top 40 from the 70's, 80's and 90's and you might be surprised at how bad most of the stuff on the charts was. Top 40 has always been mainly crap.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Pick a random week of Top 40 from the 70's, 80's and 90's and you might be surprised at how bad most of the stuff on the charts was. Top 40 has always been mainly crap.

This is true and I’ve looked at it to know the songs you’re talking about, but the Beatles and Stones were objectively great and dominated the charts, almost none of the music I consider great charts at all anymore.