Rhoads on 810 in Kansas City this morning - summary

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Here's a quick summary:

-Facilities and budget behind other schools in B12 make recruiting difficult
-Wants to build offensive line similar to Ok State
-Offensive line most difficult position to recruit
-MU literally uses every inch of the field... toughest spread offense to defend in country
-MU spread offense mother of all spread offenses
-Arnaud still watching film and helping Tiller
-Tiller has better arm, more velocity, better runner, and more physically gifted than Arnaud
-Arnaud has incredible grasp of offense... Tiller still learning (that's Arnaud's primary advantage over Tiller)
-11 BCS teams on schedule in 2011
-Thinks we'll have one of toughest if not toughest schedule in 2011
-Wants two non BCS schools on schedule in future
-Iowa series in serious danger of being cancelled going forward
-Thinks B12 will expand to 12 teams
-Still texts D Mac
-Prefers BCS format over playoff

Last edited:
Reactions: GoShow97

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Re: Rhoads on 810 in Kansas City this morning

seems as if rhoads is pretty frustrated with the big 12, and our athetic department? did he say anything positive??

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Re: Rhoads on 810 in Kansas City this morning

seems as if rhoads is pretty frustrated with the big 12, and our athetic department? did he say anything positive??

He didn't say anything negative directly. I could sense the schedule has taken a toll on him and we're facing another brutal one next year. I think the Iowa series is in real danger of being cancelled. He knows he's working with less money and fewer toys. He said it's a challenge. He did say ISU fans were great.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
-Iowa series in serious danger of being cancelled going forward

Good. We'll have 9 BCS games as it is with our big 12 schedule. At least half the media will try to make the Nebraska-Iowa game the bigger game anyways (you can already see it). Better to get 3 near-guaranteed wins in the nonconference and (like most of the rest of the big 12 does, putting us on a more level playing field with them) and have the most chance of consistently going to bowls, and above that, having a better w-l record to attain better bowls when possible.

Keep in mind, if we had the nonconference schedule most of our big 12 peers do this year, only playing 8 or 9 bcs teams on the schedule, we'd have 6 or 7 wins already, and be playing for win 7 or 8 this weekend.

Reactions: cycloneML

CYCL0NE1

Jan 22, 2009
Waukee
I'm constantly hearing how CPR wants better facilities. I think whether or not he gets the facilities he wants will have a bigger impact on keeping him as our coach than will his future salary.

Reactions: ThatllDoCy

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Good. We'll have 9 BCS games as it is with our big 12 schedule. At least half the media will try to make the Nebraska-Iowa game the bigger game anyways (you can already see it). Better to get 3 near-guaranteed wins in the nonconference and (like most of the rest of the big 12 does, putting us on a more level playing field with them) and have the most chance of consistently going to bowls, and above that, having a better w-l record to attain better bowls when possible.

Keep in mind, if we had the nonconference schedule most of our big 12 peers do this year, only playing 8 or 9 bcs teams on the schedule, we'd have 6 or 7 wins already, and be playing for win 7 or 8 this weekend.

I love the Iowa game, but it really puts us at a disadvantage on scheduling. I agree with you on this. Every other year might be an option. And we must have an easier non conf schedule to compete for bowl games.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
CPR is right. Hopefully we can completely redo and totally expant the Jacobson building. That building hasnt changed much in the last 10 years.

Totally agree about the facilities vs contract for keeping him. We need a massive overhaul/upgrade in football facilities. (minus the IPF)

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Seems to me that this is the first mention of both the ending of the ISU/iowa game and the expansion of the Big 12. I wonder if this is a little bit of a trial balloon on the ISU side as far as the rivalry game. I'm all for it if that means more/better bowls. As far as conference expansion, the party line has been "no way" since June. Now our HC comes out and says he thinks it will go back to 12? Interesting. I mean, he's not just some guy off the street shooting his opinion out there, he has to have a little inside info.

Also, is it just me or is CPR becoming increasingly more vocal about budget and facilities? We NEED to get that football facility (attached to the Bergstrom IPF) moving ahead. That new Big 12 money can't come soon enough.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Can comeone describe the upgrades or new stuff we need that everyone else has? Aside from seating capacity which I understand.

northernclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota
CPR is right. Hopefully we can completely redo and totally expant the Jacobson building. That building hasnt changed much in the last 10 years.

Totally agree about the facilities vs contract for keeping him. We need a massive overhaul/upgrade in football facilities. (minus the IPF)

Is there a definitive upgrade plan that hits CPR's concern areas? Not sure what specific areas of concern he has.

Also, concerning Iowa. Seems like an "every other year" series may work. That way, over the course of most college student's tenure, they would be able to participate in one of the games. I guess you could go every 4 years too. THe main point is that there are ways to keep the rivalry, but simply not every year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I love the Iowa game, but it really puts us at a disadvantage on scheduling. I agree with you on this. Every other year might be an option. And we must have an easier non conf schedule to compete for bowl games.

Every other year could be a good compromise. @Ames, Off, @Iowa City, Off.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
CPR wants to win, and he is honest. I Think he knows what he is talking about, and I am sure Jamie is listening and doing his best. Hopefully, we can upgrade facilities, then wins and recruiting.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Seems to me that this is the first mention of both the ending of the ISU/iowa game and the expansion of the Big 12. I wonder if this is a little bit of a trial balloon on the ISU side as far as the rivalry game.

Have you been under a rock? The future (or lack of future) of the Iowa-ISU game has been discussed ever since this whole conference expansion stuff started.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
CPR said that the series with Iowa is in the hands of the big 10 on if they will give iowa 5 home conference games when they play at ISU that is why it is in danager. About the facilities he was never complaining he was just stating what is know ISU is behind most everyone in the Big 12 he talking about the improvements that ISU is working on the new scoreboard and such.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
At the end of the day it all comes down to getting butts in the seats of JTS and getting more fans to open up their collective wallets and donate more to the ISU athletic dept. This is done by consistantly winning more games. The program seems to be headed in the right direction. Will more fans follow? This is the question - If 2010 is any indication, ISU has a steep road to climb.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I really don't understand why we're wasting money on improving things like soccer and softball facilities. Those sports get their funding from football. Fix football first.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I propose a neutral site in Newton if we move the Iowa - Iowa State game to every other year or every 4 years.