Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
The AAC is the only other conference ESPN has the kind of pull with to get them to move in a certain direction and take on teams. They can't afford to have that kind of pull with any other conference. ESPN caused this mess and the AAC is their only way of cleaning it up. It might have worked if A&M didn't out the news early.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The AAC is the only other conference ESPN has the kind of pull with to get them to move in a certain direction and take on teams. They can't afford to have that kind of pull with any other conference. ESPN caused this mess and the AAC is their only way of cleaning it up. It might have worked if A&M didn't out the news early.

I cannot imagine any attempt to push the rest of the Big 12 into the AAC working. That's about the fourth best option, right behind the Big 12 reconstituting by stealing the best of the AAC and Mountain West. Hell, it might be fifth behind the Mountain West taking on all the remaining schools.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
ESPN is a total joke. If the Big 12 sticks together we should be promoting a couple schools from the AAC, not the other way around. ESPN is adding insult to injury if they are nudging teams to try to join that crap conference.
Makes sense (cents) why they attempted it...even if you up the payout of the AAC to $15M per team, ESPN saves $40M for the eight Big 12 refugees...$335M (includes Long Horn Network savings) per year. Great if you get away with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Adding ISU/KU to the Big Ten and the PAC 12 adding four former Big 12 teams (probably OSU, Texas Tech, TCU and K State) makes a ton of sense. WV to the ACC and Baylor to purgatory. Rounds out the Big Ten with solid regional schools that make sense both athletically and academically, and gets the PAC 12 into a new time zone with some solid, competitive schools.

I listened to the Jon Skipper (former ESPN president) interview on The Dan LeBatard Show the other day and he talked about the media side of this and what ESPN did for the 2010 realignment. Skipper mentioned that new markets/states still plays into the decisions because of distributor fees. The BIG Network is already being distributed in Iowa, so adding ISU doesn't increase their pot, but the PAC-12 adding ISU gives their network a new state to distribute to, which would add value.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I cannot imagine any attempt to push the rest of the Big 12 into the AAC working. That's about the fourth best option, right behind the Big 12 reconstituting by stealing the best of the AAC and Mountain West. Hell, it might be fifth behind the Mountain West taking on all the remaining schools.
The reality is probably the opposite. ESPN was trying to keep the top AAC schools so they don't lose a bunch of money on that contract.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I listened to the Jon Skipper (former ESPN president) interview on The Dan LeBatard Show the other day and he talked about the media side of this and what ESPN did for the 2010 realignment. Skipper mentioned that new markets/states still plays into the decisions because of distributor fees. The BIG Network is already being distributed in Iowa, so adding ISU doesn't increase their pot, but the PAC-12 adding ISU gives their network a new state to distribute to, which would add value.

Our desirability to the PAC 12 is what makes me fairly comfortable in all this (and who knows, it might increase our desirability to the Big Ten). I think the Big Ten is better for us (particularly in recruiting), but the PAC 12 isn't the end of the world either (and adding 4 quality Big 12 teams should strengthen that conference significantly).

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Our desirability to the PAC 12 is what makes me fairly comfortable in all this (and who knows, it might increase our desirability to the Big Ten). I think the Big Ten is better for us (particularly in recruiting), but the PAC 12 isn't the end of the world either (and adding 4 quality Big 12 teams should strengthen that conference significantly).

The PAC would be a fun option. Not the best paying, but a solid solid conference if USC and UCLA are involved.

How about KU vs UCLA hoops?
ISU playing in the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum?
Trips to Arizona, Colorado, Utah?
Stanford vs Iowa State sound nice?

We should throw a ******* parade if we get a B1G or PAC offer

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

I think it’s likely we get in but I can also see a world where the Pac-12 thinks Tech, OSU, KU hoops, and TCU’s DFW exposure are sexier and leaves us out. ISU, KSU, Baylor, and maybe WVU depending on the ACC would be left to go American.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If that is the thoughts, then adding Texas to the SEC makes $0 increase since AM already lands Texas. This is him being a company man still

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think it’s likely we get in but I can also see a world where the Pac-12 thinks Tech, OSU, KU hoops, and TCU’s DFW exposure are sexier and leaves us out. ISU, KSU, Baylor, and maybe WVU depending on the ACC would be left to go American.
If they took TCU, there’s not a reality in any world where they’d take Tech over us.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

Another thing about the PAC 12, it may be an easier path for ISU in its current state to more consistent wins and playoff births. In the grand scheme of things, consistently winning programs are viewed more favorable in history, despite the quality of those wins. Additionally, it's probably easier to recruit to a program that has consistent winning seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas

I hope for the BIG, I think the conference knows our school and our fans help them in every way but viewership (strong academics, we'll boost their local economies every time we play because we'll travel and sell them out). Unfortunately, it's viewership that drives the money, and money makes everything happen. I'm not opposed to the PAC-12, just need a seat at the table.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Unless a deal is reached that is satisfactory to the remaining 8 schools, there is every reason to follow-through with a tort lawsuit against ESPN/SEC/OU/UT. At the very least, the threat of discovery seems significant for those parties when considering their contractual obligations. ESPN/UT/OU seemingly wanted this move to happen quickly and for the BigXII to get swept away in the chaos of a "sinking ship." Threat of litigation may also slow down the SEC's vote on OU/UT invitations like Baylor's threat of legal action did for A&M last go-round.

The difference between last time with A&M and this time with OU/UT is that Baylor didn't suffer damages when A&M left because ESPN gave the conference the same money despite A&M leaving. That was the primary reason Baylor's attorneys backed off and didn't file anything. All the same, the SEC postponed their invitation for A&M until that was resolved. With OU/UT leaving the way they are under the current circumstances, the potential damages are massive and bad faith actions taken by ESPN/OU/UT/SEC could be a factor in potential legal proceedings. I will be mighty surprised if the SEC doesn't postpone the vote for OU/UT (currently scheduled for today) at least until there is more clarity around the legal shenanigans here.

Reactions: khardbored

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The financials is the only thing I don’t like about the Pac12. I think they’re style of play fits us well and I think it’s a conference we immediately compete for championships in.

You could argue Campbells recruiting footprint, but I honestly just don’t think that’s as big of a deal if you’re on television every week. Some of his best recruited states already aren’t in our current conference.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

MavHockey14

Jul 18, 2021
Adding ISU/KU to the Big Ten and the PAC 12 adding four former Big 12 teams (probably OSU, Texas Tech, TCU and K State) makes a ton of sense. WV to the ACC and Baylor to purgatory. Rounds out the Big Ten with solid regional schools that make sense both athletically and academically, and gets the PAC 12 into a new time zone with some solid, competitive schools.
It only makes sense because it’s the best thing for ISU, frankly. The Big Ten should be looking to raid UNC and another suitor(KU? But football revenue matters) as population grows in the south.

Reactions: criticalobserver