Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If they took TCU, there’s not a reality in any world where they’d take Tech over us.

Of course there is if they want to be focused on Texas. Adding Tech with a large DFW alumni base plus TCU actually being in DFW would be a big play to get Pac 12 Network on cable packages in that market. And that still matters as long as they have the network albatross.

Nobody knows how this will go so it is really naive to be certain that we are in the Pac-12’s top 4 options. I think it’s more likely than not.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
If that is the thoughts, then adding Texas to the SEC makes $0 increase since AM already lands Texas. This is him being a company man still

Texas is a national brand, big names carry value nationwide whether they are good or not. He was just saying that while location isn't what it used to be (like it was in 2010 realignment), it's still something and distributor rights is one of those reasons. For an ISU, our value may be in that we provide a new state for the network to distribute, for Texas that is less important.

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I think it’s likely we get in but I can also see a world where the Pac-12 thinks Tech, OSU, KU hoops, and TCU’s DFW exposure are sexier and leaves us out. ISU, KSU, Baylor, and maybe WVU depending on the ACC would be left to go American.
Pac 12 won’t invite TCU. They would have invited BYU years ago if they were going to take a religious school. Same for Baylor. I would look for more of a Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Tech “wall” to keep all the other big conferences out of the western half of the US.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Of course there is if they want to be focused on Texas. Adding Tech with a large DFW alumni base plus TCU actually being in DFW would be a big play to get Pac 12 Network on cable packages in that market. And that still matters as long as they have the network albatross.

Nobody knows how this will go so it is really naive to be certain that we are in the Pac-12’s top 4 options. I think it’s more likely than not.
Nobody watches Tech football. You add zero watches by having both Tech AND TCU. If you’re trying to add Texas televisions, you add one or the other. They have the same problem we do with the Big Ten in that aspect.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I listened to the Jon Skipper (former ESPN president) interview on The Dan LeBatard Show the other day and he talked about the media side of this and what ESPN did for the 2010 realignment. Skipper mentioned that new markets/states still plays into the decisions because of distributor fees. The BIG Network is already being distributed in Iowa, so adding ISU doesn't increase their pot, but the PAC-12 adding ISU gives their network a new state to distribute to, which would add value.
Dear CBS:

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I cannot imagine any attempt to push the rest of the Big 12 into the AAC working. That's about the fourth best option, right behind the Big 12 reconstituting by stealing the best of the AAC and Mountain West. Hell, it might be fifth behind the Mountain West taking on all the remaining schools.
Like I said before, if they thought that was going to work, ESPN is about as stupid as, well, I thought they were. I love how all these reports about how the AAC was trying to take the Big 12 teams. Well, no ****. There's never been one second in the past where if Big 12 teams said they wanted to join that the AAC wouldn't take them.

The AAC can "try to get" Big 12 teams all they want, but some of these teams probably simply have better options that they can absolutely explore and exhaust, and if those look bad, take the best of the AAC.

God people are so ******* dumb.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Dear CBS:

Were In The Endgame Now GIFs | Tenor

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Nobody watches Tech football. You add zero watches by having both Tech AND TCU. If you’re trying to add Texas televisions, you add one or the other. They have the same problem we do with the Big Ten in that aspect.

They have nowhere near the same problem as us because they are in TEXAS. The second largest state in the country. You don’t add one school and say yep, we got that one on lock. Let alone if that one school is Tech or TCU.

It’s nothing like the B1G looking at Iowa (which is ranked in the 30s for population) and thinking that they already have it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Like I said before, if they thought that was going to work, ESPN is about as stupid as, well, I thought they were. I love how all these reports about how the AAC was trying to take the Big 12 teams. Well, no ****. There's never been one second in the past where if Big 12 teams said they wanted to join that the AAC wouldn't take them.

The AAC can "try to get" Big 12 teams all they want, but some of these teams probably simply have better options that they can absolutely explore and exhaust, and if those look bad, take the best of the AAC.

God people are so ******* dumb.
NO ONE is going to the AAC.. unless teams get absorbed by the Pac12 and/or B1G. The fact that ESPN pushed the narrative for us to join that conference instead of saying the logical thing ==> AAC joins the actual “P5” Conference, just proves that ESPN was trying to get out of the rest of their deal with the Big 12.

Bunch of f****** snakes.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
They have nowhere near the same problem as us because they are in TEXAS. The second largest state in the country. You don’t add one school and say yep, we got that one on lock. Let alone if that one school is Tech or TCU.

It’s nothing like the B1G looking at Iowa (which is ranked in the 30s for population) and thinking that they already have it.
You don’t add Tech and think you’re bringing TVs into your market…..

CyrideAllstar

Mar 1, 2021
Our desirability to the PAC 12 is what makes me fairly comfortable in all this (and who knows, it might increase our desirability to the Big Ten). I think the Big Ten is better for us (particularly in recruiting), but the PAC 12 isn't the end of the world either (and adding 4 quality Big 12 teams should strengthen that conference significantly).
I see more and more big ten people staying they should stay at their current level. I think they all realize how dumb they were to add Maryland and Rutgers. I don't think it happens unfortunately. Let's hope for a pac and big 12 merge.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
It would be an interesting poll if the general college football fan not associated with any of the remaining big12 schools would rather watch a Cyclone game in comparison to the other remaining teams. I’d guess us or okie lite would lead that poll?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It would be an interesting poll if the general college football fan not associated with any of the remaining big12 schools would rather watch a Cyclone game in comparison to the other remaining teams. I’d guess us or okie lite would lead that poll?
I think recency bias & Matt Campbell could make ISU the favorite, especially for this year, but yeah I’d presume it’d be Okie State if not us.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
NO ONE is going to the AAC.. unless teams get absorbed by the Pac12 and/or B1G. The fact that ESPN pushed the narrative for us to join that conference instead of saying the logical thing ==> AAC joins the actual “P5” Conference, just proves that ESPN was trying to get out of the rest of their deal with the Big 12.

Bunch of f****** snakes.

For the record, I saw that the Big 12 games that did not included Texas or Oklahoma still drew an average of 1.05 million viewers. The average AAC game drew 770k by the Central Florida SB Nation site, I believe. That's a big difference.

However, they are trying to make the case because the same data over the past 5 years suggests that viewership is very similar that the Big 12 getting absorbed by the AAC makes sense.

Of course it's bad analysis because taking out OU automatically removes the Big 12 conference championship game, while still counting the AAC conference champ. game, which gets a nice network slot, and usually gets very solid ratings (the Cincy-Tulsa CCG got 1.88 million).

So despite cooking the analysis to make it as favorable as possible, it still shows that the Big 12 leftovers as a whole aren't getting absorbed into the AAC. Now, if 4 or so of the current leftovers disperse to other conferences, that might be the only option. But if there's still 7 or 8 Big 12 teams, they would be taking on schools to complete a conference that would be better than the current AAC.

Reactions: khardbored

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Pac 12 won’t invite TCU. They would have invited BYU years ago if they were going to take a religious school. Same for Baylor. I would look for more of a Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Tech “wall” to keep all the other big conferences out of the western half of the US.

BYU is a much different flavor of religious school than TCU. TCU is even notably more liberal (in the religious sense) than Baylor. I think the Christian angle could be a hindrance to TCU but it is not a 100% no chance situation like BYU that is punishing students for premarital sex and drinking alcohol.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
If true, this confirms meddling at the highest level. I can not wait for the first lawsuit ... of many while Iowa State patiently waits on the sidelines for their best move.

Let's hope so. To me there seems to be a lot of conjecture, but no hard evidence. I'm still waiting to see that.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969