RECRUITING UPDATE: Shakur Juiston, Race Thompson

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Without a significant add this spring, next year will be a Greg McDermott loser type season and it will be really hard for Prohm to pull out of that tailspin.

The next two weeks determine the Steve Prohm era
I agree if we don't land a couple guys like Juiston and Brown getting to 7 in a row will be tough.

But you McD era newbies need to get a grip. Missing next year doesn't mean unrecoverable tailspin. Much more likely it means a big year-over-year bump the following year when the redshirt transfers become eligible and join an vastly improved group.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
No. Who is so great next year? 7 ppg Donovan Jackson? Oh boy, KU is terrified.

This next season is very likely to be similar to 2008. A great freshman on a team whose strength will be defense. That's not a recipe for winning much. As of this moment, I'll be shocked if ISU makes the NIT in 2017-18. That's why the next few weeks are so important

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

This next season is very likely to be similar to 2008. A great freshman on a team whose strength will be defense. That's not a recipe for winning much. As of this moment, I'll be shocked if ISU makes the NIT in 2017-18. That's why the next few weeks are so important
No doubt we need the bigs, but this isn't anywhere close to the teams from the McDermott era. You point out Donovan's average, but that is based on 16 minutes per game...push him up to 35 of so and his point average is near 14...fairly competitive with other Big 12 guards. Let's get through the next few weeks before we declare the end of the world...doing so now only stampedes many here towards the cliff.

Reactions: CyKings

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
DJ has more game than he got to show last year. Babb has huge upside. Solomon could be a future star in the post and had a great freshman year once he got it going and got healthy. Long was a top 150 recruit and highly sought after, and has a year in the system. Lard will have almost a year with the team and was even more highly regarded. Kasongo is a wild card.

In short, we have some great pieces to build on, and Wigginton, Lewis and McNeil all look really talented. Yes, we need to add more, but we will.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The only way the next two weeks determine the Prohm era is if we get a ton of great basketball players to make a run in the NCAA. To be honest I had written next year off as a rebuilding year. Which after what we lost is Ok. However, what he is doing now has me excited that we could be a really good team next year if we get some guys that we are after. So no if he don't get these players. We still have the 59th ranked kid in the country coming in and the 23rd ranked kid. BTW has any 59th ranked recruit ever had nobody talking about him on our board. IF we didn't get Lindell we would be talking about this kid daily.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The only way the next two weeks determine the Prohm era is if we get a ton of great basketball players to make a run in the NCAA. To be honest I had written next year off as a rebuilding year. Which after what we lost is Ok. However, what he is doing now has me excited that we could be a really good team next year if we get some guys that we are after. So no if he don't get these players. We still have the 59th ranked kid in the country coming in and the 23rd ranked kid. BTW has any 59th ranked recruit ever had nobody talking about him on our board. IF we didn't get Lindell we would be talking about this kid daily.

A return to the NCAA tournament after what we lost would have Coach Prohm in consideration for Big 12 and National Coach of the Year awards. People are acting like that's an expectation, but it's not. He's done a great job so far, and I'm sure he'll finish this out well. Will it be enough? A lot of things have to fall right, and even if they do, it's not easy blending that many new players, however talented, into a team that can perform at a high level.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I'm not sure it is. First off Gillstrap wasn't on the 2008 team, he was only on the 2010 team, which was way different than the 2008 team. I will maintain that the 2010 had no business missing the tournament. Brackins, Garret, and Gillstrap were a solid group averaging over 50% of that teams scoring.

Even if ISU adds a Gillstrap type, which is highly unlikely at this point considering the guy closest to Gillstrap, Juiston, is more interested in Depaul than Iowa State, ISU will still will be short on scoring.

Anyway, I'm drunk and you all are unrealistically asswads homers. If ISU makes the tournament in 2017-18, I'll eat my own ****.

106366-maybe-sit-the-next-couple-play-aW3d.gif

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Who was the top 25 player on that 2008 team? I don't recall Mac pulling a 5 star top 25 kid.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Who was the top 25 player on that 2008 team? I don't recall Mac pulling a 5 star top 25 kid.
Maybe your just tossing the word great around a bit too freely.
Brackins? Also had seniors in Jiri and Rashon, plus freshman DG and soph WJ

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Brackins? Also a freshman DG and soph WJ

Ah Brackins thats right. Always forget about him, given his short tenure. Never has a guy with so much talent and displayed it on the court, translated into so few wins.

The rest of of that class was pretty pedestrian based on the star rankings, DG turned out to be good.

Seems to me Mac's downfall was more about guys leaving early or transferring out, not in.

• Funny
Reactions: CYCUB15

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Well aren't we just a ray of ******* sunshine.

Reactions: isutrevman

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Unless something fantastic happens in the next 2 weeks and Prohm adds major scoring, ISU is heading to suck town. Population, Iowa State basketball.... and football

I've saved all your posts and will come back next March and give you a big **** you.

;)

• Friendly
Reactions: CYCLNST8

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

They should be:

AR-170209799.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Ah Brackins thats right. Always forget about him, given his short tenure. Never has a guy with so much talent and displayed it on the court, translated into so few wins.

The rest of of that class was pretty pedestrian based on the star rankings, DG turned out to be good.

Seems to me Mac's downfall was more about guys leaving early or transferring out, not in.

Brackins was at Iowa State for 3 years. Not all that short.

Brackins had a lot of talent. McDermott just wasn't a very good coach in putting all the pieces together at Iowa State. At Creighton, his teams have more talent than the competition. It is not as tough as the Big 12.