RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Wow-assume you're not serious. So if your son has one BCS option and it is Iowa, which happens to be about a half hour drive from your home and you would rather he go to Eastern Michigan or South Dakota than Iowa?

I'd tell him to walk-on at Iowa State

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Not to be a cynic, but why wouldn't he support his son? Would guess any dad would be beyond supportive, but rather overjoyed to have his son commit to a D1 football program.

His dad being an ex-Hawkeye football player, it would be very easy for him to say that his son better also be a Hawkeye even if he has to walk-on. There are those types you know.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
assuming Iowa didnt want these fella's either, since that is the only reason they chose ISU...

I'm sure they picked us because they felt comfortable. Not sure if Iowa wanted them or not. But neither was offered after several camps, so must not have been high priority. That's OK, we get plenty from them as well.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I would disown any kid of mine that went to Iowa for school/athletics
I'm sure if he went to medical school and cured your cancer he would be back in your good graces.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Its not hard to gain weight. Dude is 6'7", Hell be able to gain weight. Just like anything else it simply takes consistency and frequency of food and workouts. Unless he has a rare medical disorder the only scientific thing he has to do is take in more energy then he burns. Its not rocket science.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Any Concern Over His Weight is Silly

The earliest Nelson would hit the field is the fall of 2017 as RS Soph. That is more than enough time for the kid to put on 40-50 lbs. Plus he would seem a good enough athlete and as a basketball player, could always play TE.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Re: Any Concern Over His Weight is Silly

The earliest Nelson would hit the field is the fall of 2017 as RS Soph. That is more than enough time for the kid to put on 40-50 lbs. Plus he would seem a good enough athlete and as a basketball player, could always play TE.

Or he could play for Fred while he redshirts for CPR. :spinny:

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
Its not hard to gain weight. Dude is 6'7", Hell be able to gain weight. Just like anything else it simply takes consistency and frequency of food and workouts. Unless he has a rare medical disorder the only scientific thing he has to do is take in more energy then he burns. Its not rocket science.

What an asinine and uninformed comment. Many kids have a difficult time gaining weight. Particularly if you are going to gain good weight.

There is this new scientific discovery called metabolism. Not everyone is the same.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
What an asinine and uninformed comment. Many kids have a difficult time gaining weight. Particularly if you are going to gain good weight.

There is this new scientific discovery called metabolism. Not everyone is the same.

mm guess you never heard of steroids

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Maybe I'm just a kool aid drinker but it seems like ISU is off to a solid start in recruiting.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Maybe I'm just a kool aid drinker but it seems like ISU is off to a solid start in recruiting.
Solid, not great, not fabulous, but solid. After last season, I'll take that. Let the team get turned around again, and CPR can build some momentum late with recruiting.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Solid, not great, not fabulous, but solid. After last season, I'll take that. Let the team get turned around again, and CPR can build some momentum late with recruiting.

When you build a house you start with a solid foundation. Coming off a losing season I'll take solid. The new facilities and planned improvements are having an impact.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Eh... I beg to differ. There are a lot of hard gainers out there with sky high metabolisms. (I was one)

You would also be surprised at the amount of HS kids I train that all they want to do is add bulk for college or Varsity level sports. All of them have incredibly high metabolisms and eat more food than I can imagine. They are also on a very strict workout regime. And it's very difficult for them to gain weight. Also remember, the more muscle mass they add, the higher their metabolism will get.

That being said: I'm not saying this kid will have a hard time gaining weight because I don't know him and what his metabolic levels are. However, to say it's as easy as just lifting weights and eating a lot of food is ignorant.
I'm sure our staff will have him on a very strict diet and training routine to gain as much weight and muscle mass as possible, though.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Eh... I beg to differ. There are a lot of hard gainers out there with sky high metabolisms. (I was one)

You would also be surprised at the amount of HS kids I train that all they want to do is add bulk for college or Varsity level sports. All of them have incredibly high metabolisms and eat more food than I can imagine. They are also on a very strict workout regime. And it's very difficult for them to gain weight. Also remember, the more muscle mass they add, the higher their metabolism will get.

That being said: I'm not saying this kid will have a hard time gaining weight because I don't know him and what his metabolic levels are. However, to say it's as easy as just lifting weights and eating a lot of food is ignorant.
I'm sure our staff will have him on a very strict diet and training routine to gain as much weight and muscle mass as possible, though.

Don't you think a lot of those hard gainers tend to drastically over report the amount of calories they consume?