RECRUITING: Potential addition to the 2014 class

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So I assume that you are choosing to ignore the Orlando Sentinel article that states that Iowa State and Cincy are recruiting Gooch as a middle linebacker and Indiana is recruiting him as a DE ?

Well, his SR highlights on Hudl has him listed at 250. Tell me the last time ISU brought in a defensive player at 250 that ended up playing LB. Guessing never. That's as big or bigger than both our starting DEs last year. If he's set on playing LB, I'm sure our coaches will start him out there. I'm just guessing as he bulks up, he sees the opportunity for more playing time with his hand on the ground. I actually think that he could be a dominant DT in 3 years.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Well, his SR highlights on Hudl has him listed at 250. Tell me the last time ISU brought in a defensive player at 250 that ended up playing LB. Guessing never. That's as big or bigger than both our starting DEs last year. If he's set on playing LB, I'm sure our coaches will start him out there. I'm just guessing as he bulks up, he sees the opportunity for more playing time with his hand on the ground. I actually think that he could be a dominant DT in 3 years.

I doubt he's 250. He's not built like Miller is where it just looks like they will outgrow the position. Gooch really just looks more developed than a lot of 240 lb kids. He doesn't have the frame to carry 30 more lbs and be sufficient at DE or DT IMO.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I doubt he's 250. He's not built like Miller is where it just looks like they will outgrow the position. Gooch really just looks more developed than a lot of 240 lb kids. He doesn't have the frame to carry 30 more lbs and be sufficient at DE or DT IMO.

We'll see. I think that he's got a bigger frame than Miller. Definitely bigger than Willie Scott.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We'll see. I think that he's got a bigger frame than Miller. Definitely bigger than Willie Scott.

So if you're bigger than 230 lbs you can't play LBer and have to move to DE. He doesn't have a bigger frame than Miller. It wouldn't surprise me if Miller has to manage his weight pretty closely.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
So if you're bigger than 230 lbs you can't play LBer and have to move to DE. He doesn't have a bigger frame than Miller. It wouldn't surprise me if Miller has to manage his weight pretty closely.

Just to toss this in: Tim Dobbins was 244 lbs.

I agree if Gooch got to 250 or above that would hinder his speed at LB (ideally) and make him less mobile so he probably does need to manage his weight a little bit. But he is young, so he could still grow into a DT/DE size.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Jake Knott and A.J. Klein both weighed in the 240-250 range and they really struggled to play LB for us. Looking back on it we should have moved them to DE and DT. :goofy:

Reactions: Stormin

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I posted on the recruiting thread but did the class calculator for Gooch and Gray. They would bump us up to 199+ class points moving us from 51st to 34th. We got less of a bump from them last week so more proof the methodology is whacky. Also would put us firmly in 5th place in the conference. Not that it means much except for more outside validation that this is.shaping up to be a nice class. 2014-01-31-06-36-46.png

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Gooch is what we need at LB. IMO, a recruit we need and a priority. Really helps our LB's for the future.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I posted on the recruiting thread but did the class calculator for Gooch and Gray. They would bump us up to 199+ class points moving us from 51st to 34th. We got less of a bump from them last week so more proof the methodology is whacky. Also would put us firmly in 5th place in the conference. Not that it means much except for more outside validation that this is.shaping up to be a nice class. View attachment 24588

Landing Gooch and Gray would be huge. Amazing work by this staff even amidst coaching changes and after a 3-9 season.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I posted on the recruiting thread but did the class calculator for Gooch and Gray. They would bump us up to 199+ class points moving us from 51st to 34th. We got less of a bump from them last week so more proof the methodology is whacky. Also would put us firmly in 5th place in the conference. Not that it means much except for more outside validation that this is.shaping up to be a nice class. View attachment 24588

Of course you would have to take into account that other programs are waiting for last second commits as well so there could be huge fluxuations accross the board.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Of course you would have to take into account that other programs are waiting for last second commits as well so there could be huge fluxuations accross the board.

True...why we dropped a couple the last 2 days. Others in this range could get de-commits too if the Alabama and such do their nsd drama steels. Could be a wash or up or down but that is how they would move right now .