RECRUITING INSIDER: What I know about Iowa State’s top targets

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I do not see how anybody could disagree with this post. We need to score big in recruiting to avoid an 8-10 finish.

Can't agree more. People are really delusional, or just drunk on cardinal and gold (and Prohm) kool-aid if they think we can basically lose five Big 12 starting caliber players, and replace them with mid level talent and not drop off significantly.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I do not see how anybody could disagree with this post. We need to score big in recruiting to avoid an 8-10 finish.

Griffin, Lewis, Conditt and Haliburton are all four star level talent. Young is a proven high major starter. Nixon should be great defensively. Jacobson is a warrior. Our recruiting class already has high upside. If we get natural advancement, and add some scoring options to that, I feel great about next year. Our bench last year was not filled with scrubs.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Can't agree more. People are really delusional, or just drunk on cardinal and gold (and Prohm) kool-aid if they think we can basically lose five Big 12 starting caliber players, and replace them with mid level talent and not drop off significantly.
I think people are delusional if they think we can replace those guys with grad transfers. Get a Kane, Dejean-Jones and a Jake Anderson and they might replace what we're losing. That's not happening. We're taking a step back next year regardless, I'm more worried about 2 and 3 years from now.

The year we lost 4 senior starters and somehow improved had more to do with returning players improving, than who we added to the roster imo. Naing, Long and especially Ejim stepped up big time. I think that's more important than who we add from the grad transfer market. Conditt, Nixon, Haliburton, Griffin and Lewis stepping up their game will be what gets us back in the NCAA tournament next year, not grad transfers.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Griffin, Lewis, Conditt and Haliburton are all four star level talent. Young is a proven high major starter. Nixon should be great defensively. Jacobson is a warrior. Our recruiting class already has high upside. If we get natural advancement, and add some scoring options to that, I feel great about next year. Our bench last year was not filled with scrubs.

I hope you're right, I really do.

I feel really good about Halliburton and Conditt and Jacobson is decent too, but that's about all we know for sure at this point. We know Young can be pretty good, but we have no idea about his health.

Everything else is really a big question mark.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Not disagreeing with you, but what makes you think that about Griffin and Lewis, just a gut feeling?

(I am hopeful for it as well).

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
We always need recruit good players to keep winning. That's always true, but the other source of good players is the kids on the bench or in the shadows last year. Zion Griffin, Haliburton, Jacobson, Condit, ... All could make a leap into the light. We need recruits, but there is also development.

The answer for some is always someone outside the program has to come in and save the day or else we're doomed. Been said each and every year it seems.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Not disagreeing with you, but what makes you think that about Griffin and Lewis, just a gut feeling?

(I am hopeful for it as well).

I'm assuming he's referring to their recruiting rankings out of high school. Griffin was a top 100 guy and had a legitimate offer from KU. If he matures and can stay healthy, I'm expecting him to emerge next season. There's a starting spot waiting for him if he can.

I go back and forth on Lewis. He has some offensive skills, but his mental breakdowns are so egregious, it's hard to trust him. I agree with the general consensus that he will perform better with more consistent minutes. But I'm also hoping we have enough talent to not rely on him.

Haliburton
Nixon
?
Jacobson
Conditt

There are reasons to be excited about that lineup, but I think I'm in the minority thinking Jacobson can play the 4 in the Big 12. Griffin has shown great effort and rebounding in his limited minutes, but he was known for his offense in high school. I like the defensive potential of that lineup, but we still need some scoring pop.

Sounds like the ALR transfer is visiting soon. He would be the ideal guy to complete the lineup, but I'm guessing we strike out with him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I'm assuming he's referring to their recruiting rankings out of high school. Griffin was a top 100 guy and had a legitimate offer from KU. If he matures and can stay healthy, I'm expecting him to emerge next season. There's a starting spot waiting for him if he can.

I go back and forth on Lewis. He has some offensive skills, but his mental breakdowns are so egregious, it's hard to trust him. I agree with the general consensus that he will perform better with more consistent minutes. But I'm also hoping we have enough talent to not rely on him.

Haliburton
Nixon
?
Jacobson
Conditt

There are reasons to be excited about that lineup, but I think I'm in the minority thinking Jacobson can play the 4 in the Big 12. Griffin has shown great effort and rebounding in his limited minutes, but he was known for his offense in high school. I like the defensive potential of that lineup, but we still need some scoring pop.

Sounds like the ALR transfer is visiting soon. He would be the ideal guy to complete the lineup, but I'm guessing we strike out with him.

There is talent on the roster as it stands today (and there will be 2-3 more players added) and a lot coming in. It is hard to project how ready the incoming freshmen are to contribute right away and we shouldn't expected it.
At this time last year many on the board were calling for Haliburton and Conditt to Red Shirt before even getting on campus. I don't think anyone would have thought Haliburton would have been a year long starter and legit NBA prospect. At SF Leach has that talent if health to play right away, and I have a feeling Anderson will be ready to play some minutes there too.
I would obviously like ISU's chances better if a impact grad transfer chose to be a Cyclone but the roster is in a better place than 2017-18 roster.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
There is talent on the roster as it stands today (and there will be 2-3 more players added) and a lot coming in. It is hard to project how ready the incoming freshmen are to contribute right away and we shouldn't expected it.
At this time last year many on the board were calling for Haliburton and Conditt to Red Shirt before even getting on campus. I don't think anyone would have thought Haliburton would have been a year long starter and legit NBA prospect. At SF Leach has that talent if health to play right away, and I have a feeling Anderson will be ready to play some minutes there too.
I would obviously like ISU's chances better if a impact grad transfer chose to be a Cyclone but the roster is in a better place than 2017-18 roster.

I think Jackson could be a surprise in this class. He can handle the ball and he can shoot. If he can play defense, I think he earns some minutes as a freshman. He might even play a significant role.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

Haliburton
Nixon
?
Jacobson
Conditt

Who is this ALR transfer?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron