RECRUITING INSIDER: What I know about Iowa State’s top targets

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Me likey! I think we are on the outside looking in with Auburn, Memphis, WVU, and Kansas, but he just needs to fall in love with the campus and we will land the guy. Is he immediately able to play?

I thought he was a sit zero, play one graduate transfer.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So hypothetical (and not sure we can answer this)...

Wigginton has a change of heart and decides he wants to come back and be Carsen Edwards next season for Iowa State and in the Big 12. What happens?

Do you have to turn Wigginton away?

Do you release one of the other three guys/try to find them a good home?

Or is Wigginton screwed, even if he could come back, and he just has to try to land in the D-League, Canada, Europe, or wherever he can for a paycheck at that point?

OK. I'll play. Is there a situation in which a player walks-on rather than using a scholarship? Kinda like Kyle Kempt did at first. Wigginton? Or someone else?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Can't agree more. People are really delusional, or just drunk on cardinal and gold (and Prohm) kool-aid if they think we can basically lose five Big 12 starting caliber players, and replace them with mid level talent and not drop off significantly.

Griffin, Lewis, Conditt and Haliburton are all four star level talent. Young is a proven high major starter. Nixon should be great defensively. Jacobson is a warrior. Our recruiting class already has high upside. If we get natural advancement, and add some scoring options to that, I feel great about next year. Our bench last year was not filled with scrubs.

Ef it. Cancel basketball and bring back baseball.

So is this a choose your adventure type of thing?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
OK. I'll play. Is there a situation in which a player walks-on rather than using a scholarship? Kinda like Kyle Kempt did at first. Wigginton? Or someone else?

I think we settled on taking Wigginton back, even if lacking a spot, and probably pulling something of a Richard Amardi for another guy on the roster.

Show them the door, but gently, finding them a good re-home in the process.

THT and Wigginton are going to be better than anybody we can find on the transfer market, and that includes Tucker. You absolutely have to take either of them back.

I think Horton-Tucker grades out as a first-round lock, so he is gone. Good luck to him. Wigginton has a pretty murky future, though. Him returning is not impossible.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I would obviously like ISU's chances better if a impact grad transfer chose to be a Cyclone but the roster is in a better place than 2017-18 roster.

Not to put lipstick on a pig, but the 17-18 roster was not as bad as the record. It wasn't great, but the significant number of injuries really undermined any real chance of staying out of the cellar. For example, having Young and Nick the whole season would have been worth a few more victories. Not saying top third of conference, but the roster deficiencies were certainly accentuated with a few key injuries.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
My Daughter just saw Sahvir Wheeler with Conditt on campus.

Was he riding on his shoulders?

+_6c4c3c0c311b8a36c07daa87006ebeba.jpg

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
My Daughter just saw Sahvir Wheeler with Conditt on campus.

Love his highlights, dang hes little though lol. Its not easy to get to the rim at his size that's for sure.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Was it not reported he wasn't visiting until May? Maybe I confused him with someone else.

It was originally reported the staff was looking to get Wheeler in this upcoming weekend with Grill, but wasn't finalized. I am going to take it as a good sign that he was anxious to see Ames and meet the team right after visiting Georgia. Also notable that he wants to announce May 6th, with his only current know visits as Georgia, ISU and A&M (not with Buzz and the new staff).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron