RECRUITING INSIDER: What I know about Iowa State’s top targets

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
There are SO MANY moving parts right now that I wanted to get everything into one spot for all of you. I’ve been working the phones this morning attempting to get a good feel on Iowa State’s spring period. Not much new here but perhaps some insight that provides more information for you all.

Here’s what I know:

Clarence Nadolny, the 6-foot-3 guard out of Paris, is officially visiting Iowa State this weekend. It’s been well publicized that it’s a three program race with Iowa State, Texas Tech and West Virginia being the leaders.

I honestly don’t have a great feel here. I think the fact that Prohm got in so early really helps but it’s difficult to ignore what Texas Tech did in the postseason. Perhaps Chris Beard being such a big name now will actually help in the sense that nobody really knows how long he will be in Lubbock?

Sahvir Wheeler, a highly-rated point guard out of Houston Christian recently de-committed from Texas A&M following the firing of Billy Kennedy.

I’m hearing he will be on campus either the 22nd-24th of the 23rd-25th. The date, at this point, is tentative.

A lot of moving parts here, as you would expect for at top 100 kid in mid-April … a former A&M assistant coach from the staff he committed to is at Georgia, where I believe he will also visit. Iowa State has to be helped by the fact that Billy Kennedy and Steve Prohm are longtime allies.

Then, of course, there is Caleb Grill. He will be on campus officially the 29th-30th. My gut tells me that Iowa State and Kansas State are the leaders but TJ Otzelberger and UNLV is an interesting outlier. There’s a great relationship with Otz, who Grill committed to at SDSU, but will the young man and his family be comfortable going to Vegas? After all, we heard that Grill left SDSU because he wanted the opportunity to play closer to home? Stay tuned. Creighton seems to be on the outside looking in.

One more: Troy transfer Javan Johnson will be in Ames May 1-3.

Also: I’m hearing that Iowa State is in the mix with a number of graduate transfers as well but there are a lot of timing issues as far as visits, etc. to still work out. I hope to have more names for you by the end of the week.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Thanks, CW. Just like everyone else, I'm hopeful that we get a few more good players for this upcoming season. But, there are so many moving parts that who knows.

It is worth remembering that it's possible that incoming freshmen contribute and that current players actually improve from one year to the next. Some of us seem to think that this is inconceivable. I'm not suggesting this is all we should bank on, but no need for doomsday talk if we don't get a couple guys we really wanted this spring. If we struggle next year, we'll deal with it then, but why assume the worst?

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
All of these kids are visiting but yeah sounds horrible.

Yeah Iowa has had a ton visits also. They got none. So if you like visits where we get runner up. Then that's great. However, Frenchy sounds like we are not in the lead. Grill is down to UNLV (Who we lose to every time regardless of the sketchy crap they do) Kansas State and Iowa State. We know Kansas State is closer to home and he has said he wants to be closer to home.
The new top 100 kid we just started recruiting and his former assistant just happens to live in the same state as him and is an assistant at Georgia. Which in my mind puts us behind them unless he just kind of dislikes Georgia.
The Johnson kid who is a transfer has worse numbers than Beverly. So Is the sky falling? No. Are things looking good? Not in my mind.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yeah Iowa has had a ton visits also. They got none. So if you like visits where we get runner up. Then that's great. However, Frenchy sounds like we are not in the lead. Grill is down to UNLV (Who we lose to every time regardless of the sketchy crap they do) Kansas State and Iowa State. We know Kansas State is closer to home and he has said he wants to be closer to home.
The new top 100 kid we just started recruiting and his former assistant just happens to live in the same state as him and is an assistant at Georgia. Which in my mind puts us behind them unless he just kind of dislikes Georgia.
The Johnson kid who is a transfer has worse numbers than Beverly. So Is the sky falling? No. Are things looking good? Not in my mind.

Awesome take.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I mean, we should probably let the process play out for these kids before we throw our hands up.

• Agree
Reactions: Joel1

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

God you are annoying.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
source.gif

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

R-e-l-a-x. Please step away from the edge.

Prohm is getting visits from all three prospects CW is detailing in the next week and the staff is on a number of other transfers that just haven't become known.
ISU basketball is and will be just fine it is April 16 and the season doesn't start til November.

• Agree
Reactions: dtISU

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA

"It would be cool to play close to home, but, no, it will not be the deciding factor in my decision." - Caleb Grill to me in a phone conversation eight days ago

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

CONCERNED!!!!!!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
God you are annoying.

So are you man. At least I have a take on the situation instead of just calling people names. See I actually am into recruiting and right now it's not so positive. I didn't say it could change. Maybe you are just into not having an opinion or it's more of an opinion to make everyone "Like" your post. Me, I tend to have an opinion that sometimes people like it and sometimes they don't. Either way, It's my opinion and I don't care if you dislike it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron