Recommend Best Microwave Popcorn

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
We've decided we really like the Winn-Dixie store brand of popcorn, but of course there are no Winn-Dixie stores in the region.

The qualities that I like in a microwave popcorn are:

1. Big fluffy kernels; I don't care about hulls.
2. The butterier the better; yeah, I know I can melt more butter and pour it on, but something about the way the kernels all get coated during cooking is best.
3. Few unpopped kernels.
4. Consistency of performance; I don't like some bags that take 2 minutes and some that burn after 1:45. Also, broken bags are a negative I've had with certain brands.

Any locally available product you CFers have as your go to brand and type?

TIA

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I like the tender white from Orville Redenbacher. Not much butter, but plenty of taste.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Not the advice you're looking for, but I haven't had microwave popcorn in like 10 years. I use a pan at home, and we have a popper at work. I'll take the taste of homemade over the convenience of microwave anyday.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Not the advice you're looking for, but I haven't had microwave popcorn in like 10 years. I use a pan at home, and we have a popper at work. I'll take the taste of homemade over the convenience of microwave anyday.

samesies. We got an Orville popper thing for my bridal shower. I use that thing all the time. Works great and takes just about as long as the microwave.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale

We had this Saturday, and I don't think I'll ever eat microwave again. I can't believe I ever started eating microwave popcorn.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I actually rotate. I'll say up front that (easily) my biggest vice in my diet is microwave popcorn (it's honestly a little disturbing, but I'm not stopping). But Pop Secret Extra Butter is probably the best I've had; I also like a couple different movie theater butter brands, but those always wear out their welcome more quickly simply because that's a **** ton of butter. Pop Secret is definitely the most consistent brand I've had in terms of getting the full bag with few unpopped kernels and avoiding burning.

Although a good way to avoid burning is to just pay attention to the amount of popping. I've had to use several different microwaves that have varying wattages, so I just set it for 2:30 and then listen. When the pops get more than 2-3 seconds apart, I pull the bag out and enjoy.

My parents also have a stovetop popper I use when I'm home that's really good. Use some Orville's butter oil to pop the corn with instead of just vegetable oil and it turns out delicious every time.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
We actually gave up on microwave popcorn after the numerous articles kept coming out about the health hazards. I dont' know if those warnings are overblown or not, but now that we've switched to air popper, we realize we much prefer the taste.

Anyway, health concerns might be able to be avoided:

If there is any danger at all associated with microwave popcorn, it is most present when the bag is first opened and heated fumes escape. Breathing in these fumes will expose the consumer to the highest level of diacetyl possible at the consumer level. This may cause damage to the smallest air passages in the consumer's lungs or trigger a pre-existing asthma attack. Young children and those with compromised lung capacity may also have an adverse reaction after breathing in the first fumes of a hot bag of microwave popcorn.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-microwave-popcorn-bad-for-you.htm

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Air-pop Redenbacher yellow, sprinkle with olive oil then butter flavored salt, may be my favorite.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
HyVee brand ain't too bad actually. I definitely want one of these someday though:

th

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I bought some coconut oil and popcorn salt and just make it in an old stir crazy popper. I haven't been able to eat microwave popcorn since.