Really good article on TJ from The Athletic

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Great article.

I think this should settle some oft-repeated discussion on decisions made back in 2015.

Otzelberger’s pride was hurt, but he stayed on as a member of Prohm’s staff. The next year Pollard told his friend it was time to go get experience as a head coach, and he landed the job at South Dakota State. Seven games into his tenure there — with a 1-6 record — he called Pollard essentially telling him he was right.

“Anybody who’s doing it for the first time is gonna make mistakes. You’re gonna learn on the job,” Otzelberger says. “When you’re in a place like South Dakota State, and you make mistakes, they’re not on national TV. You can build your philosophy, a program and do things more in a bunker.

It goes on further, but it seems like everything worked out. TJ is clearly better than Prohm now, and may have even been then, but he (and we) benefitted from him having the chance to get mistakes out of the way somewhere else. And let's be honest, following Hoiberg, if he had made those mistakes here the fan base would have eaten him alive given his lack of prior head coaching experience.

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Great article.

I think this should settle some oft-repeatrd discussion on decisions made back in 2015.

It goes on further, but it seems like everything worked out. TJ is clearly better than Prohm now, and may have even been then, but he (and we) benefitted from him having the chance to get mistakes out of the way somewhere else. And let's be honest, following Hoiberg, if he had made those mistakes here the fan base would have eaten him alive given his lack of prior head coaching experience.
Agree, first id seen any actual info vs speculation.

Sure, maybe Leath still make JP to that route...but this reads as it wasn't that.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Great article.

I think this should settle some oft-repeatrd discussion on decisions made back in 2015.

Exactly.

Not hiring TJ then was the right call. He worked out the kinks of being a head coach somewhere else and knew what he was doing and how he wanted to do it by the time he got here.

Being a head coach for the first time at a school like ISU is a big ask.

EDITED: I'm a moron

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Unfortunately, I let my subscription to The Atlantic expire, so I was only able to read the first part. Have to say the regimentation of so many little things gave me vibes of Chizik and Prohm. Please help me get that thought out of my mind.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Unfortunately, I let my subscription to The Atlantic expire, so I was only able to read the first part. Have to say the regimentation of so many little things gave me vibes of Chizik and Prohm. Please help me get that thought out of my mind.

Ehh….ir works when you’re winning! It could cause trouble when you hit a down slide. But I think being sincere goes a long ways.

And I’d disagree it’s like prohm. I think he really tried not to rock the boat when he came in. Fred let them do what they wanted and that worked. Prohm tried to do the same and that sort of hurt things. And while the last two years were disasters, it wasn’t like the whole thing was an unmitigated disaster. It was a perfectly average few years that was not any worse than a lot of schools.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

If you open it in reader mode in your browser you can bypass the paywall

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

I initially thought the same thing about Chizik, but Chizik was all sizzle and no steak. He did things on the surface to get attention, but was terrible at the things that mattered. Similarly, he also had no head coaching experience, but had never really coached anywhere that didn't have blue chip talent, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he was in way over his head at ISU.

My guess is that TJ learned just as much from Hoiberg and Prohm how NOT to run a program, and applied that at his first two gigs, which is what this article alludes to.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76