Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Math is hard for some, I get it.

On to the Ignore list you go.
No not really, but when you just make up the numbers like you are, anything is possible. No links to where you are coming up with the data, just your opinion which article after article disputes.

So you are right, I guess for you, math must be rather difficult.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Serious question, what happens when FSU, Clemson and North Carolina win their cases and the ACC implodes? The SEC and Big 10 says nah, we fine, and they don’t find a home there. Would the Big 12 be able to renegotiate the contract with ESPN/Fox to push per team payout up to say $50 million if they can add the premier teams from the ACC? I’m thinking FSU/Clemson/UNC/Duke. If I’m Yormark I’m in the ear of every ACC president and AD and I’d have a signed agreement in place with the networks that says, if we add so and so the increase is this. If we add another so and so the increase is this. Anyway, I hope this will go down. 3 power conferences and ISU has a seat at the table with revenue closer to equal.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Serious question, what happens when FSU, Clemson and North Carolina win their cases and the ACC implodes? The SEC and Big 10 says nah, we fine, and they don’t find a home there. Would the Big 12 be able to renegotiate the contract with ESPN/Fox to push per team payout up to say $50 million if they can add the premier teams from the ACC? I’m thinking FSU/Clemson/UNC/Duke. If I’m Yormark I’m in the ear of every ACC president and AD and I’d have a signed agreement in place with the networks that says, if we add so and so the increase is this. If we add another so and so the increase is this. Anyway, I hope this will go down. 3 power conferences and ISU has a seat at the table with revenue closer to equal.

I think the only way to close the revenue gap is to separate bball contract and pull in UConn and maybe the entire BigEast for bball only, to get the east coast population viewership.

Never gonna get much more than half of the P2 for football, even if you could get FSU or Clemson (which you won't). But if you can get more than them for bball, and get bball overall closer to football money, then you can get closer. 25% less is manageable - 50% less really isn't.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I am not sure FSU, Clemson, UNC would be pushing as hard as they are to end the GOR if they haven't already gotten confirmation they will be in the SEC or Big Ten. However there are solid ACC teams after those 3 who will not go to Big Ten or SEC that the Big 12 can then bring over.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Future payout discussions are irrelevant. These things are changing every few years. So who knows what conference or our payout will be in 3 years.
I agree, but looking at articles like the Athletic posted like week showing the B10 is already at $60 per team, and the new contract really gives them a bump the 3rd year they will be at least $70 million. If it continues as expected, they will be at the $80 to $100 million per team before the end of it in 2029. That is not including any playoff shares the conference will get and everyone agrees that the SEC and B10 have gamed the system to get most of the teams into the playoff on a yearly basis. If I was guessing I would say the two conferences will get at least 8 if not 9 teams most years.

Its easy to see that the SEC and B10 is rolling in $110 to $120 million a year by 2029 and the B12 is topping out around $70 million. ISU will scrape to come up with this $20 million per year to pay the players, while the SEC and B10 schools will have plenty of money to pay it.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Supposedly there is a clause in the contract that if we expand and if either or both current partners refuse to pay their pro rata rate for the new teams, the B12 can entertain offers from another media partner to cover that portion or add to the contract. I believe ESPN/Fox has first right of refusal and the clause is only activated if one does refuse.

That being said if it happens things could get interesting with what appeared to be a few media members wanting to add to or pick up some content. With Amazon and Apple appearing to want to possibly dip their toes in but not cover an entire conference media deal, and CBS having a much lower amount of content after losing their SEC content, and others like the CW etc that appear to want some content, and would lose theirs if the ACC implodes, you could see the possibility of one or more jumping in.

Now that being said, none of that is for certain, and I would not expect any of this or even a significant increase from it. I would guess it is much more likely for any new members to come on at a pro rata rate where Fox and ESPN keep their control of the content, and not open up more competition for that content.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
From their boards, they believe the Big 12 would be equivalent or a step down to the ACC. Benefit would be for them is that since they went all in for the lawsuit, they would need a home. We would be a short term rental with their option to continue renting as they see fit. We would get a boost in tv revenue. Any member of the Big 12 shouldn't count on that tv revenue lasting for their budget.

I believe they have a gentlemen's agreement with either the Big 10 or SEC though already.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
99.9% we will never be in the same conference as UNC, FSU, and Clemson.

That being said, we need to stop reading fan message boards and using fans on Twitter to gauge the temperature on schools. I can’t roll my eyes hard enough when everyone hates on Utah (it was UCF the year before) or any of the new schools based on some faceless Twitter accounts. It’s so dumb. We have some very embarrassing fans of our own on Twitter.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
From their boards, they believe the Big 12 would be equivalent or a step down to the ACC. Benefit would be for them is that since they went all in for the lawsuit, they would need a home. We would be a short term rental with their option to continue renting as they see fit. We would get a boost in tv revenue. Any member of the Big 12 shouldn't count on that tv revenue lasting for their budget.

I believe they have a gentlemen's agreement with either the Big 10 or SEC though already.

Most of the PAC felt the same way. The Big12 is actually pretty strong top to bottom, it just doesn’t have that Alabama/Ohio State/Georgia/Texas/Notre Dame type school to be the banner of the conference.

I could be wrong, but I think there’s more to the lawsuits. Obviously the schools that can go to the SEC/B1G will, but the schools that don’t still want out of their contract. They want more money, whether it’s in the Big12, ACC, some new merger, or the obvious “P2”.

Utah and Arizona State were very against joining the Big12, but here we are.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Goodbye Pac 12 network, unfortunately many didn't see you.

I always thought it was funny and fitting that I lived in Southern California for nearly 20 years and I could never get it on any of my tv providers in the entire duration of the Pac 12 network.

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy and Cloneon

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Why would FSU/Clemson/UNC (or other ACC team) fight to get out of the ACC to jump to the B12? Those two conferences are going to be neck-and-neck through the new B12 contract for money, and they’ll likely be on the same level from CFP money. They wouldn’t fight this fight to make a parallel move.

There’s two differences between the conferences. First, the ACC hasn’t been picked over by the B10/SEC (aside from Maryland). Second, the B12 will run through their next media deal and probably most of the following one before the ACC gets another crack at it (assuming ESPN picks up their options).

The instability in the ACC is caused by those schools. I can’t see them picking this fight without some pretty solid assurances they’ll have a landing spot in one of the P2. Then again, maybe it’s hubris. Utah nearly missed the boat by dragging their feet on their way to the B12 while hoping for a B10 invite that nobody else thought plausible. It’s a little bit of a different situation as someone else blew up the PAC, where these schools are actively trying to be the ones to blow up their conference. Maybe they think they can force the B10 or SEC’s hand.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Why would FSU/Clemson/UNC (or other ACC team) fight to get out of the ACC to jump to the B12? Those two conferences are going to be neck-and-neck through the new B12 contract for money, and they’ll likely be on the same level from CFP money. They wouldn’t fight this fight to make a parallel move.

There’s two differences between the conferences. First, the ACC hasn’t been picked over by the B10/SEC (aside from Maryland). Second, the B12 will run through their next media deal and probably most of the following one before the ACC gets another crack at it (assuming ESPN picks up their options).

The instability in the ACC is caused by those schools. I can’t see them picking this fight without some pretty solid assurances they’ll have a landing spot in one of the P2. Then again, maybe it’s hubris. Utah nearly missed the boat by dragging their feet on their way to the B12 while hoping for a B10 invite that nobody else thought plausible. It’s a little bit of a different situation as someone else blew up the PAC, where these schools are actively trying to be the ones to blow up their conference. Maybe they think they can force the B10 or SEC’s hand.

That’s kind of what Oregon and Washington did. They were close to falling further behind the other big conferences until the Big 10 grew a heart and bailed them out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron