Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Mid-West Focus Option:

East Coast Market Capture Option:

Best Brands Option:

These read like Global Thermonuclear War strategy names.

img_1006.gif

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The PAC 12 is the Big 12 in 2009-2010 BUT without Texas and OU. The other conference members (plus the best of Go5) proved themselves as a collective group over the last 10+ years. They aren’t a B1G / SEC level of value but valuable none the less. The PAC 12(-2) might have the same value but they aren’t going to get 10+ years to prove it because they don’t have Texas and OU to appease the media holders during the lean years. Sorry Washington and Oregon, but you don’t move the needle the same way on your own.

Reactions: aauummm

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Just listened to CW and Blum make the case for a Big East-Big 12 hybrid basketball league running parallel to a football schedule as Yormark's vision forward for the conference.

Gotta be honest the enthusiasm sounded forced.

Even if this was likely to happen, wouldn't the Big East prefer to do that with the ACC?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Just listened to CW and Blum make the case for a Big East-Big 12 hybrid basketball league running parallel to a football schedule as Yormark's vision forward for the conference.

Even if this was likely to happen, wouldn't the Big East prefer to do that with the ACC?

Maybe for the next 10 years, but eventually the ACC is going to be broken up with some teams going to the Big 10 or SEC.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I heard that Pod discussion, too.

I'm skeptical of a hybrid, but then I think about this: Plenty has been said about Yormark being innovative & forward-thinking compared to more "old-school" commissioners. That would bode well for Big 12 ... I'm among those who would embrace the approach, so I shouldn't turn around and say "football/basketball hybrid, no way, that's not gonna work."

It's like I believe creativity is essential for league to survive & thrive, yet I'm squeamish about anything outside of traditional conference structure.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I'm skeptical of a hybrid, but then I think about this: Plenty has been said about Yormark being innovative & forward-thinking compared to more "old-school" commissioners. That would bode well for Big 12 ... I'm among those who would embrace the approach, so I shouldn't turn around and say "football/basketball hybrid, no way, that's not gonna work."

It's like I believe creativity is essential for league to survive & thrive, yet I'm squeamish about anything outside of traditional conference structure.

Now if they combined the actual games....

There's some innovation

Big 12 Calvinball

Reactions: cyclones500

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
All true but I think TCU in the CFP championship may have done the Big 12 as much harm as good.

If that's true the Big Ten should ban its teams from participating in March Madness.

One year of TCU or a solid decade plus of super consistent Big Ten flameouts in the dance, it's almost like the higher the seed the worse they do.

At least in football you have legit Ohio State. Maybe UCLA can decrease the gigantic NCAA tourney fail.

Truthfully you're right...but it's because the media bends over backwards to hide gigantic Big Ten flops while it will highlight something like TCU's blowout loss.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Neither has Tony Altimore. Must not be hearing good things. The locked on pac-12 podcast is in full cope mode again today “Why majority streaming might not be such a bad thing for the pac-12”
I still haven't decided yet if Altimore is really dumb or if he's like the public defender that gets stuck defending a guy that everybody knows did the crime.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Adding non-football schools to the Big12 makes a ton of sense if Yormark strongly believes he can make more money by negotiating separate TV deals for football and basketball.

If the long-game is three 20-24 team conferences, then the traditional idea of conferences is probably over. At that point do we have protected rivals and rotate through other conference members? Or do we have conferences within conferences?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
If that's true the Big Ten should ban its teams from participating in March Madness.

One year of TCU or a solid decade plus of super consistent Big Ten flameouts in the dance, it's almost like the higher the seed the worse they do.

At least in football you have legit Ohio State. Maybe UCLA can decrease the gigantic NCAA tourney fail.

Truthfully you're right...but it's because the media bends over backwards to hide gigantic Big Ten flops while it will highlight something like TCU's blowout loss.
Why would the big ten ban teams from March madness when they have put more teams into the final 4 then the big 12 the last decade? Going back to 2013 big ten has put 6 teams into the final four compared to 5 from the Big12. No big ten teams have cut down the net during that time as opposed to the two Big12 championships but still nothing to be disappointed about.

TCU’s win for the Big12 was huge regardless of the championship appearance and just getting to the playoff (while it’s still 4 teams) is huge for any conference.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Why would the big ten ban teams from March madness when they have put more teams into the final 4 then the big 12 the last decade? Going back to 2013 big ten has put 6 teams into the final four compared to 5 from the Big12. No big ten teams have cut down the net during that time as opposed to the two Big12 championships but still nothing to be disappointed about.

TCU’s win for the Big12 was huge regardless of the championship appearance and just getting to the playoff (while it’s still 4 teams) is huge for any conference.

Cool. Now do NCAA tournament shares per Capita.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon