Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Personally, I’d be pissed about a meeting the Friday before Christmas

Not sure how they could call this their first step, FSU has been squawking about leaving and having board meetings about athletic affiliation for at least a year. Nothing new here, just more noise. If they haven't figured out a way around the ACC GOR by now, it isn't happening. Just more lazy realignment reporting by a mainstream guy like McMurphy. Yawn.

Last edited:

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
In 5 years UGA and Bama may be 8-4 type teams. In the NIL era money talks, booster money, not conference affiliation.

Who has the biggest boosters? Off the top of my head, Oregon, Maryland (Under Armor), SMU, Miami and???

What if the boosters for these schools buy those teams all of the best players, squeezing out SEC and BIG powers. What if SMU (again), has the best team money can buy?

How can the SEC say we'll have our own playoff, when miami and SMU beat UGA and Bama 41-10? They'd be laughed at.

I dont think anyone knows where this train is headed. It is truly, the Wild Wild West.
According to USA Today, here is the Top 10 from 2005 through 2022. Only public universities appeared on the list, since their financials are public.

I'm guessing this doesn't include throwing money at coaches' buyouts, NIL collectives, etc. and is just the publicly announced stuff.

Link

1. Oregon $969 million
2. Texas A&M $849 million
3. Texas $766 million
4. Florida $763 million
5. Georgia $716 million
6. Oklahoma State $670 million
7. LSU $618 million
8. Oklahoma $597 million
9. Auburn $580 million
10. Florida State $540 million

• Informative
Reactions: Jkclone15

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not sure how they could call this their first step, FSU has been squawking about leaving and having board meetings about athlet8c affiliation for at least a year. Nothing new here, just more noise. If they haven't figured out a way around the ACC GOR by now, it isn't happening. Just more lazy realignment reporting by a mainstream guy like McMurphy. Yawn.

FSU could just be trying for the optics to get others to blink. Because if they haven't found a way now, they probably aren't going to. The only thing they could do is convince enough schools to dissolve the conference, so the GOR is void (per my simplistic understanding).

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Ok, folks thinking FSU is 'outbound'. When are they leaving? Where are they going? And at what expense?
Also, for all the NIL imbalance folks, we saw a completely mediocre Texas team for nearly a decade with 5 stars everywhere. What percent do you think success is the coach/staff, and what percent the players?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ok, folks thinking FSU is 'outbound'. When are they leaving? Where are they going? And at what expense?
Also, for all the NIL imbalance folks, we saw a completely mediocre Texas team for nearly a decade with 5 stars everywhere. What percent do you think success is the coach/staff, and what percent the players?

There was a period with LHN where Texas was getting most tv money in country with separation.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
There was a period with LHN where Texas was getting most tv money in country with separation.
I won't argue that. But, what's most interesting is, imo, the Texas move had more to do with ESPN NOT renewing that contract, thus forcing the SEC move which was a lateral move for ESPN. We all know it's about the $$$$. What perplexes me, and why I asked the question, is that 'coaches', imo, are far more paramount to success than the 5* qb Nebraska just hauled in. Sure, it increases the odds. But, is that increase worth the bucks? And, how patient are those investors? And do those teams shell out more $$$ for a new coach?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I won't argue that. But, what's most interesting is, imo, the Texas move had more to do with ESPN NOT renewing that contract, thus forcing the SEC move which was a lateral move for ESPN. We all know it's about the $$$$. What perplexes me, and why I asked the question, is that 'coaches', imo, are far more paramount to success than the 5* qb Nebraska just hauled in. Sure, it increases the odds. But, is that increase worth the bucks? And, how patient are those investors? And do those teams shell out more $$$ for a new coach?

This may be part of it, but I also thought that the Big12 hired consultants to determine what their next media value would dictate, and that report came back bad. Like, the per school payout was going to be lower than our media deal that just recently ended. I always thought that was the smoking gun that got Texas and OU looking.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
This may be part of it, but I also thought that the Big12 hired consultants to determine what their next media value would dictate, and that report came back bad. Like, the per school payout was going to be lower than our media deal that just recently ended. I always thought that was the smoking gun that got Texas and OU looking.
I think it became a self fulfilling prophecy. There was XII blood in the water since 2010. The SEC/ESPN knew UT and OU were the Crown Jewels and wanted them playing bigger teams. Lowball the XII and force their hands to move.

Maybe the AAC plan with the leftovers at $7MM annually actually happens if that A&M source didn’t leak it. It gave Bowlsby time to circle wagons, check receipts, and go on the offensive. ESPN still needed the inventory.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

They had the most media $$$ in college football but TCU and Baylor dominated our conference for a stretch there with OKSt and OU in 3rd/4th and Texas just hoping maybe they could be #5 on a given year. Gives me a little hope.

Texas has built in advantages beyond money. I think teams like Nebraska will just spend a lot with little return and slowly see a shrinking fan base care less with each generation.

With your question it’s just a matter of these different silos of money and what each silo can pay for. The TV money silo can now pay for unlimited coaching hires if you’re in the Big Ten or SEC so the teams at the bottom of those leagues are just gonna roll the dice on somebody new constantly. Honestly Iowa basketball is an example where they should’ve used their media money several times to roll the dice on a new coach even if they did have him locked into a stupid contract. They have the money now, it’s not like that Fran money could be used to pay a quarterback or running back.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I’d say that corporate sponsors are more important than boosters. And if Nike or whoever want Alabama to be good to support their investments into the program, they will make sure of it.

Take the basketball games the past week. Nike is having tournaments to highlight their sponsored teams. You don’t think they’re going to do everything they can in NIL deals to make sure those teams are stacked? They’ll do the same for football as well.
This is my thought, as well.

A cursory google search shows that Nike's advertising budget for 2023 was over $4,000,000,000. Spending 1% of that on "NIL" could create one amazing super team, or a few different legitimate title contenders every season. We know this has been going on with Basketball forever (ahem, Adidas & Kansas) and I expect the college athletics arms race to really take off between Nike, Adidas, and UA.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
FSU could just be trying for the optics to get others to blink. Because if they haven't found a way now, they probably aren't going to. The only thing they could do is convince enough schools to dissolve the conference, so the GOR is void (per my simplistic understanding).
.....and that is likely why there is ongoing noise about a B12/ACC/PAC2 merger.

And your last sentence needs correction. It takes all ACC schools to dissolve their GOR and all schools need an acceptable landing spot in doing so (which a merger would do).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Even though they're an ACC school that's kind of already SEC country. You'd think the B1G would love to add them with Clemson, UNC, and UVA
I would definitely guess that they will be an attractive addition to the B1G or SEC, but it's interesting that the Big 12 is seen as an option (long shot though it may be). The key will be whether the networks view that addition as worth the high price, or if they think they can get them cheaper while enhancing their Big 12 properties.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would definitely guess that they will be an attractive addition to the B1G or SEC, but it's interesting that the Big 12 is seen as an option (long shot though it may be). The key will be whether the networks view that addition as worth the high price, or if they think they can get them cheaper while enhancing their Big 12 properties.
I feel like the CW is going to be airing a lot of what's left of the ACC in the future.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Disagree. This is not these people’s primary jobs. By having a 10:00 meeting, it’s really easy to just call it a day following it. It’s perfect cover to get out early.
I doubt members of Florida's board of trustees need cover to get out of work. I bet they call the shots.

It's probably more about keeping the ball rolling before the Christmas/New Year's holiday week when a lot of folks travel.

IMO there is too much smoke for FSU to be full of hot air. Just a matter of whether their decisions are actionable in 1, 3 or 5 years.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I doubt members of Florida's board of trustees need cover to get out of work. I bet they call the shots.

It's probably more about keeping the ball rolling before the Christmas/New Year's holiday week when a lot of folks travel.

IMO there is too much smoke for FSU to be full of hot air. Just a matter of whether their decisions are actionable in 1, 3 or 5 years.
I think a huge part is ensuring they have a suitable landing spot 100% lined up with numbers in hand before pulling the rip cord.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021

I think the DA investigation into the CFP is additional
ammunition for FSU’s case to leave. Whether anything happens or not, they are framing that they were harmed and must leave the conference.

The sad part is that the ACC will pay the price, not the colluding CFP committee and ESPN propaganda machine.