Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My old home county likes to keep their gov't meetings a little more lively.

And yes, that is who you older ones think it is.

https://globegazette.com/news/local...2077ec6e7.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

JFC, if you have a M&P Shield in a shirt pocket it's not like it wouldn't be clearly visible. No wonder the cops asked him if he was armed, they could see he was.

WTF is a guy THAT big so afraid of that he needs to carry a ******* gun to a rural govt meeting. Probably afraid some immigrants working the egg-plant are going to steal some diesel from his big old pickup. o_O

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1 and NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Son was on the insight team led by Sage back in 2000 area. He is considered one of the best Dlinemen to pass through ISU, his brother who played for ISU for a bit was way more athletic, but just had something that held him back from the level Mike achieved.
Maybe that's why I know the name...

Or, if he's farming, maybe I knew him through my job.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Odd encounter at Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden the other day (one of the days where it was not raining). Was outside the entrance area which has two big steel gates. The garden is all fenced in. There was a mom and what looked like an older brother herding like four young pre-school age kids and baby in a stroller, looked like they were off for a walk in the adjoining woods. Heard the little kids pointing to the fenced garden (which is woody and dark looking) and saying how it’s filled with werewolves and zombies. One of the little girls had been there and “seen” them. Kids were going on about this. One of the little boys saw me heading for the entrance and asked me “Are you going in there? Aren’t you scared?” I told him my big camera lens would protect me. He seemed skeptical.

DND

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It was windy, wet and cold. Our boys won 10-2. Tried calling the dogs off by pulling our speedster and best ball handlers off of the front line but it didn't work. We had one player who rarely scores playing center back kick a ball from behind the half line up into that jet stream. The ball carried to the top of the penalty box and bounced over the keepers head into the goal. It was just one of those nights. The team we were playing has apparently been on the wrong end of a lot of those scores. We felt bad that it got that out of hand. At least they managed a couple of scores in the second half.

Went right from there to daughter's game and watched facing directly into the driving wind and rain. There was really no way to stay warm or dry. Girls had fun and actually won. That's two in a row after a string of draws with a loss or two sprinkled in there.

We had a rougher season on this end. We ended with 4 ties, one no-game due to a rainout cancellation and no wins. The kicker was that we didn't get a chance to play the two worst teams in the league due to how the schedule worked out, so we really missed out on our two best chances for a W.

The silver lining is that we tied the two top teams, and they both finished 6-0-2, with the ties being against each other and with us. Also, we played up an age group in two tournaments and held our own in both of those.

It's disheartening for them to not get a win in season, but it's not indicative of how well they played at times. We are very undersized compared to other teams, so some of them are still learning how to deal with being out-muscled.

In the end, it's a really great group of girls and the parents are all really cool. I'm ok trading a win or two for both of those things.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We had a rougher season on this end. We ended with 4 ties, one no-game due to a rainout cancellation and no wins. The kicker was that we didn't get a chance to play the two worst teams in the league due to how the schedule worked out, so we really missed out on our two best chances for a W.

The silver lining is that we tied the two top teams, and they both finished 6-0-2, with the ties being against each other and with us. Also, we played up an age group in two tournaments and held our own in both of those.

It's disheartening for them to not get a win in season, but it's not indicative of how well they played at times. We are very undersized compared to other teams, so some of them are still learning how to deal with being out-muscled.

In the end, it's a really great group of girls and the parents are all really cool. I'm ok trading a win or two for both of those things.
Our boys team is kind of weird. We have players who could likely be on a C-1 (top) team but others (like little Velo) who are clearly C-3 players. The club only has 12 players total at this age with 9 on the field at a time, they play in a C-2 league.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Something for @wxman1, C-47 that lead D-Day paratrooper drop has been restored and flown to France for D-Day commemoration next month. Quite a flight for a 75-year-old plane. This is some cool stuff.

c47_plot.jpg

Full story:
https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2019/05/the-plane-that-led-d-day-is-flying-back-to-normandy/

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Something for @wxman1, C-47 that lead D-Day paratrooper drop has been restored and flown to France for D-Day commemoration next month. Quite a flight for a 75-year-old plane. This is some cool stuff.

c47_plot.jpg

Full story:
https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2019/05/the-plane-that-led-d-day-is-flying-back-to-normandy/

Yup! Here is a link to their FB page for those that are interested. The pilot is Doug Rozendaal who is a famous and very highly respected pilot, CFI and examiner from Mason City. He is doing vlogs about it that they are are posting as well. I am working on getting him to come down and give a speech at our chapters fall/winter banquet.

https://www.facebook.com/thatsallbr...sECm0piMf8lYYMP-aBht7dpXnlwUhhRRLqQPs-bS9JtcY

Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I couldn't read the article, but saw (and recognized) the name, then googled it. I'm not sure how I recognized it as he would have been at ISU when I was at WSU (he's a year younger than me per Wiki), and I have never followed the NFL. Did he maybe have a son/daughter who was on a team here about 20 years ago?
I read the article after I unblocked my ad blocker and answered 3 questions. I lived in Forest City for a few years and kind of covered supervisor meetings when I was news director for the radio station. I think the Globe Gazette should employ a competent copy editor, "He said he hadn't been drinking since until Tuesday."
But then, I think that about nearly all newspapers today.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I read the article after I unblocked my ad blocker and answered 3 questions. I lived in Forest City for a few years and kind of covered supervisor meetings when I was news director for the radio station. I think the Globe Gazette should employ a competent copy editor, "He said he hadn't been drinking since until Tuesday."
I tried four times to white list it and tried refreshing & everything. Could NOT get past that pop-up. Grrrrrrr.....

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Anyone recall the game someone brought to CF where you were given a location and had to point where it was on a map as faster you placed your spots increased your score?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Biking kept me from going cray cray last spring. This May it's bird/photo walkabouts. Too wet to work on the garden, probably for a few weeks, damn it's wet.

My old man eyes managed to spot a nighthawk crouched down tight to a tree branch near dusk. Never saw one before but knew what it was.

And new Nikon coming tomorrow too. :D I will probably be excite.

Reactions: wxman1

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

I've been saying this in my head for about 5 minutes now, and I still can't figure out WTF it's supposed to mean. :confused:

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
@BoxsterCy our bird feeders have been pretty crazy the past few weeks. Orioles, cardinals, rose-breasted grosbeaks, Eastern goldfinches (the vixen says the males look like Peeps!), purple finches, and of course the ubiquitous house finches, sparrows, chickadees, nuthatches, etc. Every so often the starlings show up and I have to get aggressive with them (They are such bullies!) And of course the squirrels are constantly trying to fatten themselves up, too. I hear the vixen yelling at them and remind myself to never act like a squirrel. :rolleyes:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Anyone recall the game someone brought to CF where you were given a location and had to point where it was on a map as faster you placed your spots increased your score?

I think your looking for geoguessr. It is still up they monetized it heavily, $2/month for the ad free version. probably 10 sec between rounds for the free version. Once I looked it up I had to play a round.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
@BoxsterCy our bird feeders have been pretty crazy the past few weeks. Orioles, cardinals, rose-breasted grosbeaks, Eastern goldfinches (the vixen says the males look like Peeps!), purple finches, and of course the ubiquitous house finches, sparrows, chickadees, nuthatches, etc. Every so often the starlings show up and I have to get aggressive with them (They are such bullies!) And of course the squirrels are constantly trying to fatten themselves up, too. I hear the vixen yelling at them and remind myself to never act like a squirrel. :rolleyes:
Take those starlings OUT! They are an invasive species!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Acting like a nut probably isn't in your best interest either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron